Technical Stiff gears

Currently reading:
Technical Stiff gears

Just dropped mine back off in the garage...last 3 days the car has had to idle for almost 1 hour to free up the gearbox - for the first half hour the gear stick wouldn't even wiggle in neutral. I seem to be the only person in the street with gear issues even though it has been a uniform -7C for the whole week/weekend.

Service guy said it is likely to be the cables freezing...I responded saying last time it did that it was corrosion and something got replaced...it's not suitable sitting for almost 1 hour with the car ticking over waiting for it to free up. Can't leave it in gear as I'd then not be able to change out of it (and would have to remain in the car with clutch depressed until it was free).

Have to say, car has been superb but the last 2 weeks have had a few small niggles really winding me up...I hope it get spotted as an issue and gets warranted as I'm really not wanting to have to sit burning fuel going nowhere for 1 hour each day until the temp gets above 0C...

The regular metallic clunk/ping noise wasn't what I thought it was. The driver's seat was not latched in properly and after latching in when braking suddenly, the noise disappeared.

The ESR and hill hold still decides to disable itself now and again (and the cruise control does not work) and today I noticed that the brake lights are permanently on so there's clearly a problem somewhere....probably with the brake light switch under the dash.

The car is booked back in on Thursday and they're also going to look at the poorly re-fitted steering wheel boss.

I'm happy that the gearchange is much improved and selecting reverse is no longer an issue, but changing from first into second when the gearbox is cold is still very difficult and third gear (from second) is a bit 'grabby' as is second (from first) once the car has warmed up.

Great news mikey.

Its a service news bulletin fiat have issued... affects the 150 mjets... symptoms are difficulty engaging 1st or reverse gear.

Solution 1. bleed the hydraulic system

if still no go..

solution 2. replace clutch kit... something im getting done in the new year.. all free of charge(y)

Something to do with the pressure plate springs disorting????

just wondering where you got the fiat service bulletin from

Im having it back in next week for the EGR valve and leaving it over night as they couldnt find a problem last time - tell them to check out gear change as well while its there

Its been bloody dangerous at times when pulling onto a main road or roundabout and you cant accelerate and are crawling as you pull out

Last edited:
I have never been happy with the gear change from when I picked the car up new last October. First to second in cold weather crunches every time, pausing slightly in neutral before selcting second doesn't really help.

In the really bad weather recently I had the same "frozen" gearbox on my 2.0 MJ as other posters are describing here. Car went into local dealer today, service manager said Fiat advise changing the gear linkage cable for vehicles in my VIN range, he said the one fitted will cease below -5 degrees c. I asked if this would also cure the gear crunching and he wasn't sure, he said we'll try the linkage and see how it goes.

Just waiting for the part now.

Mine's the same. Sometimes I struggle changing from 1st into 2nd, its that stiff. When the gearbox/linkage has warmed up, its smoother but definitely does crunch. I had a new clutch fitted a few weeks ago because I struggled to get the car into reverse a lot of the time. Reverse engages fine now but I still struggle with 1st into 2nd so I guess its going back in soon. My partners Bravo is fine though.

In the really bad weather recently I had the same "frozen" gearbox on my 2.0 MJ as other posters are describing here. Car went into local dealer today, service manager said Fiat advise changing the gear linkage cable for vehicles in my VIN range, he said the one fitted will cease below -5 degrees c. I asked if this would also cure the gear crunching and he wasn't sure, he said we'll try the linkage and see how it goes.

Just waiting for the part now.

let us know when they get the parts. Mine was booked in on the 31st December for fixing on the 20th Jan (was away for 2 weeks) and they phoned on the 19th to say Fiat dont have the parts (I suspect they forgot to order them) Will be interesting when they phone me back, probably after the cold weather!

As I told Fiat I will phone the AA each and every time until they get it fixed (pity its been warm recenly ;-)) , theres obvioulsy a problem with the linkages / water getting into them. When you see the angle they sit at its no surprise.

just wondering where you got the fiat service bulletin from

Hi

I worked for fiat as a service advisor so i know about this especially when i had a little trouble engaging reverse from a cold start.
They have to take steps in order to have you clutch replace though, first is to bleed the hydraulic system (like they did mine) and if that doesnt help then it states a clutch kit to be replaced and im pretty certain it affects only the 150 mjets but cant remember if there was certain VIN numbers affected, im sure its the whole range. Just say to the dealer you have a friend that has the same problems they will/should bleed system first then if it still hard to engage with a fiat technican argeeing a clutch is the only solution. Mine seems fine now( still a bit stiff in reverse) but its on record.

Hope this helps

Hi

I worked for fiat as a service advisor so i know about this especially when i had a little trouble engaging reverse from a cold start.
They have to take steps in order to have you clutch replace though, first is to bleed the hydraulic system (like they did mine) and if that doesnt help then it states a clutch kit to be replaced and im pretty certain it affects only the 150 mjets but cant remember if there was certain VIN numbers affected, im sure its the whole range. Just say to the dealer you have a friend that has the same problems they will/should bleed system first then if it still hard to engage with a fiat technican argeeing a clutch is the only solution. Mine seems fine now( still a bit stiff in reverse) but its on record.

Hope this helps

I get this problem on my 2.0 when going from 1st to 2nd, very notchy when cold - a bit like my old Guzzi. Other wee niggles, but a superb car.
Likes: cornering spotlights, rear wiper comong on in rain when reversing.
Dislikes: The bloody radio coming on every I fire it up! I'm going to an audio shop soon...

My 2.0 is also bad. 2nd and 3rd are very notchy going in to gear. I'm going to take it to Fiat while it's still under warranty. Will let you know if they find anything?

Well car went in yesterday and had 2 new gear "cables" fitted. Can't believe the difference it has made. The gear change is now light and very precise, no crunching into second gear, it's like driving a different car! I was hoping for frost this morning to see what it's like in sub zero temps, but maybe that'll be tomorrow.

My Bravo was in the garage this week and the gearbox oil has been changed. Too early to tell if its made a difference but if not, I'll be pushing them to replace the linkage/cables. Getting a tad tired of it now (its a 55 mile round trip) and its spoling my enjoyment of the car.

I have a Bravo build in August '09 - 120TJet. Since older cars were Alfas, I was very sensitive to the gearboxes. In the beginning, I was told that it is normal to have stiff gear changes. At the 1st visit to the local FIAT dealer for oil change (5800Km), I requested to check the gearbox. They told me that they aligned the cables and that the gearbox is OK, although I feel (not hear) a knob during changes from 2nd and up to the 6th gear! The only gears that I have no problem at all is 1st and reverse! 1st is extremely smooth (but with good feeling). I believe that I have to visit another dealer. Does anybody have similar problems with Tjets?

Well, get into the car T-Jet 150, gears stiff as hell. Only had the car a couple of week, me thinks its going back to the original owner for my money back. Put problem into the search engine, guess what? Others having the same prob, weather cold too, here 6 inches of snow. Thanks to one subscriber now know Fiat are aware. Will they do the necessary free of charge as is a design/manufacturing fault?

Will wish all a Happy Christmas - without the stiffness ;)

I had my cables replaced last week, checked them today (-1 showing) and no problems - fingers crossed.

The cables were replaced unde warranty as I had only brought the car within the last month from the same dealer.

Well, get into the car T-Jet 150, gears stiff as hell. Only had the car a couple of week, me thinks its going back to the original owner for my money back. Put problem into the search engine, guess what? Others having the same prob, weather cold too, here 6 inches of snow. Thanks to one subscriber now know Fiat are aware. Will they do the necessary free of charge as is a design/manufacturing fault?

Will wish all a Happy Christmas - without the stiffness ;)

If the car's still under 3 years old (and possibly even if it's older) they might sort it free of charge. Just phone their Information Centre on 00800 3428 0000 & mention that following a search online about it, you've discovered there's a service bulletin about stiff gears affecting some Bravos & you think yours needs some remidial work to sort it out - probably new gear linkage cables (this is the most common fix i've read about.) Basically water gets into them and freezes in the cold, which is why so many people suffer first thing on a cold morning, when ice has formed overnight.

Although the Service News appears to relate to the Bravo diesel 150bhp, i've heard the same symptoms mentioned on other Bravos and on some Grande Puntos, Alfa Romeo MiTo's and Alfa Guiliettas, all with 6 speed gear boxes.

Your local dealer may also be able to help. I think (looking from your location) they will be Glyn Hopkin, who are in Romford. They might have a dealership nearer aswell, can't remember off the top of my head!

Good luck.

Last edited:
has anybody got a link to that service bulletin, had ours greased last year but it made no real difference, then the weather warmed up and it was fine until winter again this year - gears are really stiff and you can the gear stick all the way over to 5th/6th slots, let go and it will stay there, all the over on theright !!! - this happens only when very cold but strangely not on all cold days.

how about some of the euro owners - do yours suffer the same problem ?

could it be the viscosity of the gear oil ?

My Bravo 120 is going in next week to have this checked out - on cold days it's horrific trying to get it into any gear.

They are checking fluid and also gear linkages...

Mine doesn't sound as bad as many others here.. always managed to drive it straight after engine on even well below -10C.

However, I'm convinced the gear change is overall quite a bit stiffer than when the car was new.

It just doesn't feel precise, e.g. there is quite a knack for changing 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th has just started getting a bit of resistance half way down the selection between neutral and fully into 4th though didn't get it as much today as yesterday. Hesitant to get it meddled with if this is how they all are (as it's "working"), what do you think?

Wondering whether or not to just see if it gets worse first then get it sorted.. will this sort of thing be covered under my 5 yr unlim mileage warranty or should I get it sorted before the car's 2nd birthday?

Fed up of going back to the garage with the Bravo at the moment!

Back