Technical BRAVO STIFF GEARCHANGE

Currently reading:
Technical BRAVO STIFF GEARCHANGE

BATTO

Hi all, 2008 Bravo 1.6 multijet 6 speed manual 90,000mls. Has anyone else experienced a worsening of their gearchange? Over the last 3-4yrs it has got progressively stiffer. My wife who drives it most has sort of got used to it, but when I jump in I find it absolutely awful! I am wondering if anyone has ever changed the gear change cables for the same reason, and if its a tricky job. I can do most stuff, servicing, new front struts, pads, discs etc. Any ideas? Thanks

Have you checked that the gearbox still has enough oil in it. I have had stiff gears because the oil level had dropped, If not thi,s look for, and oil the places where gear linkages pivot. Use a penetrating oil first, soak all the pivots and then follow with a light oil spray. It could be a gear change cable too. If its side to side movement of the lever rather than the forwards and backwards movements, it could be the base of the gear lever, under the leather look gaitor that needs lubricationg. If so use a silicon lubricant spray its good on nylon things that have got dry and stiff.

Hi Panda, thanks for the reply, yes I changed the oil about a year ago, unfortunately no difference, and I did spray everything under the bonnet that I could see to do with gear linkage. But, I didn't do the bit under the gear lever. I will try that although I think that a may have to change the cables, just not too sure how tricky that is. Has anyone ever done a cable change?

Back