General steering and starting problems

Currently reading:
General steering and starting problems

evening all , since ive had the multijet (just under 3 months) there has been a problem with the steering and starting it . The steering sometimes gets really heavy like it has no power steering . Also it sometimes struggles to start and when it does get going there is a cloud of white smoke behind it .It has just come back from the dealers who say they cant find anything wrong with it apart from a dead cell in the battery which they have replaced with a new battery . we got the car back friday and guess what happend tonight ? arrived home started reversing into parking space and the steering went really heavy again so the battery hasnt solved the problem . any ideas ? TBH its been nothing but trouble since the day we picked it up ,strut mounts were knocking the day we drove it of the forecourt which they sorted (used quarter of a tank of my fuel so they could take it to norwich and back to get it fixed ,i did get the fuel back eventually),a lot of hassle getting a tyre replaced which was meant to be done when we picked it up, it took us 3 visits to the dealer and the tyre fitters to get it sorted(11 miles each way 66 in total and 3 saturdays off work) there is quite a bit of oil around the turbo , it has a very faint whirring noise when going along in 5th and 6th gear .its a 57 plate with 35000 miles on it . I love the car and have had a few fiats over the years and have been happy with them but i have had enough of this one . Im considering rejecting the car under the sale of goods act . Am i within my rights to do this ? cheers mick

Last edited:
I would maybe think of rejecting it or asking them to extend the warranty period. You could get a mechanic (independent) to give it a once over before making a decision. Is your steering only heavy on one side? Also the stalling issue could be due to the EGR valve. Cant remember which way round but when the solenoid is either stuck open or closed it causes a stall and white smoke. Think when its stuck open.

Ok cheers,the steering is affected both sides. it doesnt stall just sometimes doesnt want to start. I spoke to cab today and they have advised me that im within my rights to reject it.

Last edited:
could very well be an iffy earth connection, do you get any errors or lights on the dash when the steering dies?

could very well be an iffy earth connection, do you get any errors or lights on the dash when the steering dies?[/QUOTE.

No thats part of the problem, they cant find out why its happening because no faults are being registered on the computer and no lights on the dash. The view they take is that if its not throwing a code on the computer then theres nothing wrong it, which is not allways the case as i had a faulty injector on my jtd stilo with no dashboard warning lights or fault codes.
Cheers mick

Relying on ECU diags. :bang:

Is that really the way they're training mechanics these days?

Personally I'd park the car in the forecourt, hand the keys in and demand they fix it and until then, not accept the car.

Have they checked the alternator? Or the connections (as has been said)? It sounds like an electrical problem.

Relying on ECU diags. :bang:

Is that really the way they're training mechanics these days?

Personally I'd park the car in the forecourt, hand the keys in and demand they fix it and until then, not accept the car.

Have they checked the alternator? Or the connections (as has been said)? It sounds like an electrical problem.

well i went and had a chat with the steelers om saturday and they have asked if they can another go at solveing the problems. I noticed sat night when turning the steering the lights dim very slightly, any ideas? Cheers mick

and now for its latest trick !!! its started hesitateing sometimes at about 1800 rpm its like i take my foot of the pedal then re apply it. It had a recon egr valve fitted before we collected it , realy had enough of it now :mad:

Back