General Starting or Start Motor Problem!

Currently reading:
General Starting or Start Motor Problem!

Pink192

Have a L reg Cinquicento which up to reacently has started first time, every time. When a couple of days ago, the key is turned t start position and no electrical or mechnical sound at all. (Solenoid is completely silent). After bump start is stated first time. Then stopping car straight away and restarting, it started fine. After driving home and stopping, it restarted stright away. The next day it started first time. Parked up and then on return to car it wouldn't start without a bump start. After a couple of start and stops of running around, all starting fine. Upon return to car for the home journey again completely dead, so had to bump start it again.

Recap in brief:
1. Ignitian key inserted and turned, dash board lights and icons illuminated.
2. Ignitiion key turned to start no dimming of dash board lights. (stay bright)
3. No enagagement of solenioid or starting motor. (silent) - intermittant

Your help and advicewuld be much appreciated on this matter.

Last edited:
try checking the earth cables or take the starter motor of and connect a battery to it see it spins everytime u connect the wires but it could be a battery issue

Thanks Andy, I agree with the cable/earth points, but not with the battery, if it was the battery, any load would cause the battery to over work causing the dash lights to dim, IE if you have you main lights on, when starting they dim. as the dash board lights do not dim, so I can safely say it could not be the battery, as no load is being placed on the battery at all.

Does anyone know where all the earth points are in relation to the staring side of the cinq. I can start with that and elimate those.

Thanks.

going off memory there is one on the top of the gearbox and one the side of the engine near the crank sensor

make sure the wiring connections havent corroded or been damaged as they are at the front of the car, such as the main feed and solenoid switch lead

if it does turn out to be a starter there is a recon one in the classifieds ;)

Ash

This happened to mine, turned out to be an earth strap.

i connected a jump lead to the negative of the battery and the other end of the jump lead to (i think) the gearbox. Vroom started 1st flick.

Looks like I found the problem, the battery negitive connector was not that tight, tight enough but was able to move it with a bit of force, so undone and took off the battery, to find the tray in a bit of a mess, with corriosion, so had to fix it with StopRust and P38. tomorrow I will put the battery back and test.

Back