General Start stop

Currently reading:
General Start stop

Ptg1174

Hi guys my first post on here thanks in advance for any advice ,we have a 2011 500 1.2 and the engine light is on with the message of start stop unavailable,I have found a plug with a snapped wire connected to the negative terminal on the battery could this be the problem ?I have attached a picture I’m wondering where I could get a plug that I could solder the original wires to thanks

Attachments

• 0E90B5D1-924A-43FB-AB51-2B3BFD5C0252.jpeg
    0E90B5D1-924A-43FB-AB51-2B3BFD5C0252.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 254
Ah that's more of a problem just a faulty SS sensor wouldn't put the engine light on it suggests another issue potentially, when the engine light comes on SS is always turned off ideally have the fault code read and go from there, using the correct software not a generic reader

Ah that's more of a problem just a faulty SS sensor wouldn't put the engine light on it suggests another issue potentially, when the engine light comes on SS is always turned off ideally have the fault code read and go from there, using the correct software not a generic reader
Thanks for reply will get it checked , can I buy the plug and cable online anywhere?

Hi there I didn’t find a new plug I managed to fix old one , if you unplug it you’ll see a purple plastic strip which slides off, this allows you to slide the connector out of plug I then cut away half the yellow rubber gromit and soldered the wire before putting connector back in then replace purple plastic, just ensure you put connector in the same way and push all the way in , warning light out 👍👍

Reactions: ben
An update I managed to get my eml light off which is great as said earlier I fixed the plug and the stop start light went out so no lights at all , as I don’t drive the car I didn’t know until today the stop start light comes on when driving and when you switch off engine and restart it’s off until you drive again any ideas ?

An update I managed to get my eml light off which is great as said earlier I fixed the plug and the stop start light went out so no lights at all , as I don’t drive the car I didn’t know until today the stop start light comes on when driving and when you switch off engine and restart it’s off until you drive again any ideas ?
Hi Ptg1174,

I have had a similar issue and found it to be the brake light switch! It prevented the SS working ' Stop/Start unavailable' with the two orange symbols on either side of the speedo. It was very similar and found when driving that when i pressed the brake pedal the orange SS warning lights came on. Its a relatively cheap 5 minute repair (£10-£15) The switch on mine (2014 1.2 petrol) was located behind the dashboard/footwell on the passenger side not above the brake pedal on the drivers side which is where I thought it would be and not sure that the case for all 500's. Also just to note that the brake lights always worked so there was nothing really that identified the brake light switch as the culprit but cured the SS issue.

Back