Technical Springs or Coilovers

Currently reading:
Technical Springs or Coilovers

Right, so having lurked about in the shade of this forum for most of the past 12 months i have been eagerly reading various threads for peoples GP's. In awe of alot of them, with mine slowly taking shape. Not big on the modification scene, but i'm gradually tweaking little things about my car to make it how i like. So far i have custom alloys, wind deflectors and a couple of subtle vinyl stickers (one on each of the 3 rear windows).

Now my question is to go with springs or coilies to lower the car. I've read countless threads with various people opting for whatever they have. I'm so undecided and confused as to what is best. Having had a word with my 'new' mechanic who is a great chap he advised Springs, and didn't rate coilovers at all. My initial thought is to go with springs, Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs are saved on my eBay watch list currently, where they have been for several months now. I'm so nervous about taking the plunge!

I currently have a white 60 plate GP (1.4 8v), and it is on STILTS. Never seen a GP sit so high, its sat on Team Dynamics Monza Red Lines currently, with low profile tyres....you can imagine. Will get a photo up in a journal thread i'll start sometime soon.

Really really would apreciate the 'his, lows, pros and cons' of various set-ups/options i have open to me. I'm worried that i buy these Eibachs and the car sits too high still, and unlike coilies i won't have the option to 'tweak' it in anyway because i went and bought springs. But i've been guided away from coilies for whatever reason.

.....Helppp :yuck:

Cheers,
James

Also, something else. This might sound daft but i'd like someone to just confirm this for me.

For example, Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs claim they lower the car 40-45mm front and 30mm rear. Does this mean i can grab a tape measure (waits with baited breath) and place it at the highest point of the wheel arch (waits for rolls of peoples eyes) and pull the tape down to 40mm (waiting for laughter) and see how low 40mm drop would be.

OR, am i completely off track as i'm thinking i am, because surely the existing standard springs (aka stilts) are at say a 4mm, or 10mm. Therefor gauging what 40mm will 'look' like will have to take into concideration what the current stock springs are set to and deduct that from what the Eibachs claim to drop. Does this make sense, are people following where i'm going with this....

Basically i really want to know what i'm dropping too on my car, and trying to reasure myself that i'm not going to spend £150 on springs, then £100 on fitting for me to be dissapointed at how 'high' it still sits at. Admittedly i just want it off its stilts, thats what i've told everyone and if i achieve that i will be happy, but i'd still like an element of lowness that is aesthetically pleasing....I'm just worried its still going to look to high, to be blunt.

I'm a complete novice yes, but i'm trying :bang:

Last edited:
I would say welcome but seeing as you've been lurking around...hellooo :D

Without reading every single bit of you're post as Im just passing the forum

But, if you can afford it, go for coilovers. That way, you can adjust to what you like. I have mine on abarth essesse springs around 30mm and would like to be lower.

Im sure others will pop up with pictures etc but if you can budget for it, go for coilovers.

On my abarth springs I feel no difference in comfort etc, but like I said, im sure others will pop up with more detailed replies.

Yeah, i frequent other forums more that are my 'hobby'. My GP is just my transport that i want to look somewhat more unique to me, and i don't put anywhere near as much time + money into it as others on here. I know more of you as i've read many many of your post's over the last few months haha, but you know didly squat on me (y)I'll be scouring the meetings and events soon enough as i see a few people meet in Coventry, West Midlands quite a bit. Taybarns gets mentioned alot, which is 5 mins down the road from me.

Right, well the coilovers i have shortlisted are these;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270850715217?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

They give a total drop of 100mm, and i'd more than likely only ever get near 40mm 'tops' as i don't want it slammed, just a leaner stance. I have no idea of quality, and i have even less clue as to what brands are reputable/trusted and what are garden trash to be avoided. I feel very out of my depth and some good honest opinions would be very welcome :)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I completely understand you there :)

With reagrds to those coilovers, you get what you pay for. Those are low end coilovers that will provide you with a drop, but may compromise comfort.

There are lots of reviews of those things around the forum also :)

If it was me, i'd go for it as I don't quite care about comfort (being 19).

I'm not saying the comfort is going to be like riding a camel on a mountain road in india, but it just wont be like standard.

If you want comfort and quality, you're looking at the £400 mark.

If you want to lower your car, with a slight compromise in comfort, go for the ones you have said.

Saying that, some people havent noticed any difference.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Just came across a thread which hadn't come up in my searches before, obviously pays to be persistant and keep trying, anyway. This thread has given me MASSIVE piece of mind as it has pics from two peoples GP's lowered on these springs and how it looks. Which is amazing! Both have given rave reviews of the handling and quality of the springs too, and stated some excellent points with regards to the ethos of Eibach in general. Happy right now. I'll soon have a stiltless-GP :) Overjoyed. I dare post pictures of mine currently :bang: Standard springs, on 17" alloys on low profiles :yuck:

So that little bit of security i have been latching out for i have found :p So i have ordered a set of Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs off of eBay for £156 inc P&P, and i have a qoute from 'my guy' of £100 fitting. Not on 'mates rates' with him yet, but everyone starts somewhere with a mechanic.

Just came across a thread which hadn't come up in my searches before, obviously pays to be persistant and keep trying, anyway. This thread has given me MASSIVE piece of mind as it has pics from two peoples GP's lowered on these springs and how it looks. Which is amazing! Both have given rave reviews of the handling and quality of the springs too, and stated some excellent points with regards to the ethos of Eibach in general. Happy right now. I'll soon have a stiltless-GP :) Overjoyed. I dare post pictures of mine currently :bang: Standard springs, on 17" alloys on low profiles :yuck:

So that little bit of security i have been latching out for i have found :p So i have ordered a set of Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs off of eBay for £156 inc P&P, and i have a qoute from 'my guy' of £100 fitting. Not on 'mates rates' with him yet, but everyone starts somewhere with a mechanic.

£100??? where you at? id do it for£50! got all the gear

personally id go with coilovers, ive had springs on my gp and i have to say made hardly any noticable difference to ride height, so i opted for coilovers, they made my gp much lower but also much more uncomfortable :bang: but to be honest i much prefer coilovers, but at the end of the day its all down to personal prefferance really if u want mega lows on ur car ur guna have to have a mega hard ride

hope this helps

Appreciate your input.

I just want it off its stilts to be fair. I'm don't want crazy lows. I'd like to be able to park on the kerb, and go over speed bumps without too much discomfort or adjustment. I just hate the stilts my car is on, its ridiculous.

You mention you had springs and they didn't make much difference. Can't have been that bad surely, i mean for lowering springs to not make much of a difference on a GP is saying something due to the fact they are so darn high up in the first place.

I've heard springs are longer lasting than coilies. Albeit coilovers do give you a bigger low and allow for the extreme lowness and added stability in general.

I think given what i want, and seeing other peoples GP's on the same Eibach springs i'm making the right choice for me. I'd like to fit a credit card between the wheels + arch at max, and not a CD case between the same gap, as is pretty much possible now. Slightly exagerated, but we all know how 'high' they sit as standard :bang:

Once they are installed i shall post pics up of my GP before, after, and once settled for comparison.

Back