Technical Skyroof Stuck open please help!

Currently reading:
Technical Skyroof Stuck open please help!

Hey Mate - I've had my roof 99.9% closed for about 4 months now and want to tackle it this summer - I think what you are describing with the rear-most leaf is something I've got too. Basically the rubber seal has not been kept well and has swelled, it looks like it is now fowling the rear leaf and thus the sensor in the rear motor which stops the roof from closing on blockages... i.e. fingers... is now stopping my roof from closing; I also have the issue with front leaf lifting then a gut wrenching sound from the front motor.

I'm going to attempt a slight manual open, see if i can get a new seal or dislodge it at the back leaf... and lube the shizzle out of my runners... 1mm at a time.

Let me know how you get on - I'm looking for parts too. Possibly cogs for the front motor if they're stripped. Great thread btw everyone.

also - this new seal issue is something that may start cropping up more frequently due to the age and condition of the rubber. :bang: I've not come across anyone else with this yet.

hi Guys, excellent guides to the sunroof. My sisters Stilo roof has jammed. I removed the sunroof and stripped it down, as the left side was not driving, only the right, from the fully closed postion.
I found the cable was fine, but the sliding bracket assembly on the left hand cable had the front edge broken off.
I rang Webasco and they can not supply any parts. Rang some dealers and again, no parts. My local Fiat dealer was very helpfull, but again only a limited number of parts available, and nothing for the cables.
The mechanism is very complex and clever. The control cable operates a slide assembly at the front of the sunroof. this slide assembly is attached by a small white plastic round section rod (very hard to see), to the rear sliding block assembly. To remove the front slide assembly you need to remove the front stop assembly and a lot of the front tilt mechanism. Then at the back, there is a stop bracket (L shapped) and then you must remove the 4 small countersunk screws and the 1 pan head screw, in the upper side of the track, which releases a white plastic runner in the track, which is pretty much hidden.
The front slide assemblies, work a sort of ratchet mechanism on the sliding track. The initial reawards movement when Open is selected, slides the front glass mechanism back, which tilts the pane up, but does not move the rest of the glass mechanism, which held shut by a small plastic spring loaded button in the track, just behind the front glass. When it is fully up, a rachet is released and the front pane mechanism is released and now the next sections of glass are pushed rearwards, after the plastic spring loaded button is released.
When you close the roof, the rear sections are all pulled forward until they are stowed, the plastic button drops in its hole, and then the ratchet is released, disconecting the fwd slide from the main mechanism, and it pulls the front glass mechism fwd, to drop it down. Very clever, but complex.

Anyway the L/H cable sliding assembly on ours, has its front section broken off and we need a new L/H cable/slide assembly. Has anyone got spares left over from previous repairs and would be willing to sell a spare.
Just for info;
The sunroof is not hard to remove.
The front and rear motors are independant, (front for roof, rear for the blind)
The reset procedure for any problems, is rotate the rotary knob anticlockwise, then press the rotary knob in and hold in while it sorts itself out.
Many thanx Tim

Ok Guys, thinking of buying another complete sunroof and repairing mine. That means i will have a lot of spares left over, please can people indicate what parts they need so i can see if it would be worth doing this. It seems such a shame not to have the roof working in these warm times, but to spend more than the car is worth on just this item seems crazy.
Please let me know what you need, blind motor, roof motor, drive cable, glass panels, the metal surround, any mechanism to do with the slats and sliding assemblies etc.

Cheers tim

Hi my roof was working ok untill ..one of the drain channels was blocked cleared it..pressed reset and grind ..now if i maually open it it will close on reset but the blind will not move at all any ideas..pls Anne

Hi, i know this is an old thread but i just bought a used sunroof from the UK, i live in Malta, and i am getting the same results as above, everything works manually but the blind doesn't move electrically.

Can anyone pls help?

Hello. I'll try help as best I can. The blind works off the back motor, and the sunroof off the front motor.
You have one of 2 problems -
1. You may need to reset the sequence by holding the switch in for 5 seconds
2. You motor needs replacing

If you want I have a motor which I bought with a second hand roof that I purchased when fixing mine but I didn't need in the end. Private message me if you'd like to buy it.
Good luck with the roof I hope you get it working! Mine works perfectly now and I love it (and my car) immensely!

Hello to all!

I have bought 3 door Stilo last month and I have been reading preety much everything there is on this forum about the sunroof. I would like to send a HUGE thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread (y)

So... What's the problem? The guy that sold me the car, sair that the previous owner had disconected the sunroof due to some broken part. He also didn't knew what part in particular because he never tried to open the roof :eek:

One of the reasons that I wanted the car is the awsome roof :cool: so I really really reallly (yeap that's enough) want to get it working.

Diagnosis so far:
  • Glass pannels fully closed
  • Blind fully closed
  • Front motor is working (reset works, at least it makes the sound that everyone talks about)
  • Blind buttons don't work
  • Fuses 45 and 46 are ok

I assume that someone had "disconected" the rear motor so that noone could open the skyroof. I want to get it working to see what is the problem (is there really something broken) and realize if isn't just a lubrification problem :bang:

What I want to ask you experts is where and what I should look for? Is there any thing I should do before disassembeling all the interior of the car (to get to the rear motor)?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Best regards!

That is a trick one - nothing obvious jumps out - you can take out the front motor then test and see what it looks like then. It could be seized - but take care operating manually since if one side gets out of sequence it will get stuck open.

Hello Austin!

Thanks for the reply!

Already did that and the front motor works. I disassembled the front motor and checked to see if anything was disconected (it was my first guess). Manual operation works (with a lot of effort :slayer:).
A few days later, when I searched this forum about my problem, I found out that there was a second moter in the back.

As I checked everything in the front and it's working, I'm assuming that the problem is in the back motor.

I'll try to reach it next monday and see what's going on. I will also take some pictures of the process because I haven't seen any regarding the disassembeling to reach it. It might help someone :D

Back motor does blind only. You'd have to take the roof lining off to get at that and test it. I bought a spare roof and back motor a while back so I will have a look and see where it attaches exactly.
You could do with lubing up the internal cables when the front motor is out, and the roof mechanism itself.

Yeap... Makes sense that the roof itself doesn't open if the blind motor is "off". That could explain the fact that both the dial and buttons (roof and blind controls) don't do anything...

Unfortunatlly I will only be able to take off the lining on Monday (having a trip this weekend). As soon I have some progress, I'll post it here ;)

Before taking the roof lining out, check that the wiring connector hasn't been disconnected from the back of the blind switches.

You say that a previous owner "disconected the sunroof due to some broken part". You also say that the fuses are OK. Disconnecting the wiring to the switch would be an easy way to disable the roof.

Of course, the seller may be just telling you that instead of telling you the truth. ;)

Before taking the roof lining out, check that the wiring connector hasn't been disconnected from the back of the blind switches.

You say that a previous owner "disconected the sunroof due to some broken part". You also say that the fuses are OK. Disconnecting the wiring to the switch would be an easy way to disable the roof.

It has already been checked :) It was my first atempt to get it working. I'm sorry that I haven't said it in my first post when I numbered what has already been done :bang:

Of course, the seller may be just telling you that instead of telling you the truth. ;)

That's what I'm affraid of... It might be something more serious. But nothing like trying to get it working! The sunroof worth it (y)

Have some news about my intervention...

To start, I have took some photos of the disassembled of roof lining. I'll post them here later because I haven't brought my camera to work...

The motor was connected... As Davren said, the previous owner hadn't said the truth...

The motor is "dead"... Unmounted from it's place, I pressed the control buttons of the blind and there wasn't any response. Then I realized that the motor was leaking oil. It didn't seem natural so i disconected it and took it to my work table.

After unmounting the plastic covers, i found out that someone just put too much oil on the motor. And by "too much" I mean really to much! :eek: The circuits board is somehow "burned" by it... I have photos so you can take a look (i'll post them later). I believe that's the problem with the motor (n)

Because I am a noob about electronics, do you think that the oil could cause somekind of short circuit? Can the microchips be damaged by the oil?

Last edited:
I wouldn't think the electronics would be damaged by the oil, but if the motor has brushes, oil on those could stop it working.

As it isn't working anyway, try cleaning it out with electrical contact cleaner, then just put a little grease on the drive gear.

I believe it has brushes but aren't visible. I'll give a try with the electrical contact cleaner to see if it works...

I hope so because the motors are really expensive :cry:

As promised, below is a simple guide of how to reach and remove the back motor. If my English is wrong, please advise so I can edit the post :yum:

Tools needed:
  • Screwdriver
  • Torx keys
  • Alan keys

1: Remove the fitting around the skyroof:

2: Remove the trunk cover support. Left there's a screw and right there's a plastic bolt (I don't know how it's called in english :confused:):

The white plastic from where the seat belt comes out, can now be removed. Pull it out from top to bottom. I guess it doesn't have any screws on it. Repeat on the other side.

3: Remove the rear lights to get to the screw that's beneath it. The light cables are long enhogh to work with but be carefull not to pull it to much. Disconnect the terminal and take the screw out:

4: Open both knockers of the handles to get to the screws beneath them:

Now, the the roof lining is loose in the back end of the car. It leaves you enough space to reach the motor. Disconnect the electrical plug and unscrew the three screws holding it.

And that's it :D

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Image 4.jpg