Technical Need help removing radio

Currently reading:
Technical Need help removing radio

Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Hello,

I'm trying to replace the radio in my Stilo for an aftermarket one, but the stock radio is hopelessly stuck.

I bought the removing keys, but they seemed to be too big. I read online that you need a pin that's 2,5mm wide, so I bought some 2,5mm welding sticks and cut them into suitable lengths, but still no luck.

I tried helping the radio out with those plastic trim tools, but I used a lot of force and it still wouldn't budge.

I attached a video of me trying to remove it using the pins I made.

Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Attachments

• VID_20230403_172918.mp4
    55.6 MB
As you push each of the rods in, you should feel a resistance. At this point you need to push them in about a further 5 - 10mm.

Trying to lever the radio out is likely to damage the retaining mechanism.

As you push each of the rods in, you should feel a resistance. At this point you need to push them in about a further 5 - 10mm.

Trying to lever the radio out is likely to damage the retaining mechanism.
I could feel the resistance on the rods on the left side, not so much on the right. I just pushed the rods as far as they would go.

Status update:
I took off the cooler box lining in hopes that I would be able to access the springs that hold the radio to the cage, and indeed I was!

Looks like I managed to get it loose on the right side, but the radio still won't budge.

I can feel a clear resistance on the lower left rod (the spring?) but not on the upper. There doesn't seem to be any easy trimming to remove on the left side, so not sure how to proceed from here. I was really hoping that it was only the right side that was binding.

Any ideas appreciated!

Attachments

• VID_20230404_173552.mp4
    20 MB
  • VID_20230404_175534.mp4
    18.9 MB
Put the rods in the holes
Gently push the outer ends of the rods toward centre of radio to release the black metal retaining tabs you can see in video.

My Stilo Abarth had the Sat Nav / Radio unit fitted the there were two "unique" keys for removing the unit.

Fiat P/N:

See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/373893155677

The keys are threaded and have to be wound in to release the locks and then you pull.

Overall length 95mm, thread length 25mm, THREAD 36G BSW

1680776954054.png

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Status update: I got it out!
I managed it by unlatching it from the right side through the cooler box as shown in my previous post, and by prying it loose from the left side as shown in this video

Turns out that the hole that the rods go in are smaller at the end than the opening. In hindsight I could have gotten a 2mm drill bit and drilled through the ~1mm of plastic at the end, so that I could have unlocked it with the 2mm rods. I'll attach a poorly made illustration :D

Attachments

• illustration.jpg
    illustration.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 32
Do you need help unlocking your radio?
Get your code instantly using our radio unlock service 🔓🎶
Back