General Screeching noise when starting

Currently reading:
General Screeching noise when starting

AJKelly

I'm getting an intermittent screeching noise when trying to start my 56 plate GP 1.2 Active

Basically, the car starts fine 99% of the time. The other 1% I get a loud screeching sound when I turn the ignition key and have no choice but to switch off. It won't start + it sounds really bad, like when you grind the gears!!. I will leave it a couple of seconds & try again - sometimes it will do the same for two or three attempts & then start normally??

I've got no idea what it is, just that it sounds really bad & can't be doing the car any good....it seems worse in damp weather & on cold starts. I can only remember it happening once when the engine had been warm, stopped at Tesco for 15 minutes when I came back out - same thing??

As soon as the engine is running, it doesn't make the noise - it's only when starting up??

I'm getting an intermittent screeching noise when trying to start my 56 plate GP 1.2 Active

Basically, the car starts fine 99% of the time. The other 1% I get a loud screeching sound when I turn the ignition key and have no choice but to switch off. It won't start + it sounds really bad, like when you grind the gears!!. I will leave it a couple of seconds & try again - sometimes it will do the same for two or three attempts & then start normally??

I've got no idea what it is, just that it sounds really bad & can't be doing the car any good....it seems worse in damp weather & on cold starts. I can only remember it happening once when the engine had been warm, stopped at Tesco for 15 minutes when I came back out - same thing??

As soon as the engine is running, it doesn't make the noise - it's only when starting up??

Any idea what it could be?? :confused:

probably starter motor not engaging with the flywheel properly, perhaps the solonoid as died.

One good tip if you know what your looking at is to give the solonoid a wack, or just rock the car back and forth, you'll probably need a new starter motor.

It would be a good idea to get it checked out before it starts grinding the teeth away on the flywheel, then you will need both.

I used to get it,
read my battery light is on thread. I now need a new alternator i think. Im pritty sure that its the belt that was screeching!

you need 2 check that the bulkhead drain off tube is not directly draining water onto your alternator, new right angled tubes are the fix

Thanks for all the answers guys

That gives me a starting point (y)

I just wish I knew where the alternator is lol :bang: but thankfully I know a man who does :worship:

These intermittent problems are a pain in the backside to pin down :cry:

you need 2 check that the bulkhead drain off tube is not directly draining water onto your alternator, new right angled tubes are the fix

Aye - it could easily be dripping onto the Alternator.

Where do I get right angled tubes from?? :confused:

Not being mechanically minded, why would a fairly small amount of water dripping onto the alternator cause such a loud screeching/grinding noise??

It can't be a lot of water dripping down because there is a flap on the bulkhead drain-off (I couldn't help sticking my fingers up there to see lol), although some could get through I suppose :)

It may well be that causing it, but why??

+ right angled tubes - where do I get them from??

Not being mechanically minded, why would a fairly small amount of water dripping onto the alternator cause such a loud screeching/grinding noise??

It can't be a lot of water dripping down because there is a flap on the bulkhead drain-off (I couldn't help sticking my fingers up there to see lol), although some could get through I suppose :)

It may well be that causing it, but why??

+ right angled tubes - where do I get them from??

The water could be dripping onto the part of the alternator where the belt runs and because it gets damp the belt slips, causing the screeching. In cold weather the water can get into the alternator & freeze it solid, which means the belt can't turn it when the engine is started and you may then experience a snapped belt along with smoke coming from the bonnet.

A thread at the top of this section titled "Frozen alternator leading to snapped belt" explains the issue in more detail so have a look there.

If the car is under 3 years old youre likely to get the modification done for free by a Fiat Dealer. If it's over 3 years the tube is about £7 from memory. You can either pay the dealer to fit it, or some people have done it themselves.

If it's screeching/grinding during cranking- it'll be the starter motor not engaging. Aux belt squeal will always happen after start-up.

If it attempts to crank, stops, then cranks again before starting/making the noise, it needs the ECU software update to correct the low battery voltage issue affecting the starter motor relay. Alternatively for now, fit a new (uprated) battery. The standard 1.2 battery can suffer from a large voltage drop once it gets old, even though it will always appear ok. A larger capacity one will cope better and not suffer the same issue.

The only problem is if the fault has been occuring for a while, damage will have been done to the flywheel teeth and the issue will just get worse, even with a new battery and the ECU update.

Nah, it'll be a weak battery placing more load on to the alternator, thus causing the belt to slip upon startup.

I've ordered a New Battery which I should get on Monday/Tuesday - lets see if that cures it (I've got every confidence in T :worship: :worship:)

If not, I'll get to the bottom of it with all the help offered on this forum (y)

Let's hope we get it sorted soon, cos the Grande Punto is a nice little car - I think the wife likes it more than me :cry: :bang: (n)

lets go back to the start

does the squeal happen when you turn the key before the engine starts, or after the engine has started?

you alternator is down near the drivers side wheel in the engine bay

YouTube - DSCF2302.AVI

OMG - That looks like somebody has just downed about 10 pints & is P ing straight through the bulkhead :devil: :worship:

that will have been me last night (hic)

took the video to highlight this issue

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/257193-frozen-alternator-leading-snapped-belt.html

which is worth looking at whilst your at it as water getting onto the alternator will kill it

with the car been as old as it is its almost due a cam belt I replaced my 06 plate 1.2's last year and put a new aux belt on at the same time as it had to come off anyway.... It was hard and showing signs of aging so might be worth replacing think mine cost about £5 from eurocar parts

I've ordered a New Battery which I should get on Monday/Tuesday - lets see if that cures it (I've got every confidence in T :worship: :worship:)

If not, I'll get to the bottom of it with all the help offered on this forum (y)

Let's hope we get it sorted soon, cos the Grande Punto is a nice little car - I think the wife likes it more than me :cry: :bang: (n)

search for this title in the forum Grande Punto - Starting Problems

Update - new battery fitted & it seems to have cured the problem.

Car starts first time, every time - not even a hint of any screeching/grinding at startup. I know it's only been a few weeks, but it's certainly looking good (y)

It's like having a new car :D

Last edited:
I'm getting this, and have done since Wednesday when my alternator started going... and then went, requiring a new one for a pretty penny (£212.40 inc. labour and VAT). It's continued to do it since, but the garage said they charged the battery up, and despite it being the original one the car came with (it's an '08' Punto Grande), they said it was fine and didn't need replacing. So have I been led up the garden path, there?

(That said, it didn't happen when I left work tonight, so perhaps it's not happening every time?)

Back