General Rust Hole Restoration

Currently reading:
General Rust Hole Restoration

Hi

So the "wheel bearing" fail was just two loose bolts that hold the shock to the hub, it took me a few minutes to figure it out.

I'm having the top mount changed this week so back for a retest next week.

My yellow rear lights have passed MOTs for many years and the LED bulbs are still great so I don't know why they got failed but I'm going to have to dig out my red ones!

Thanks

Nath

I don't think the colour of the units matters, just the colour when it lights up. I've been using chromed but otherwise regular incandescent indicator bulbs for years without issue.

I was following a mk2 Golf with retrofit LED rear lamps a while back (little bayonet cap based units that go in the regular holders) and they were barely visible and pretty unsafe imo, this is probably why your Cinquecento failed.

Yeah you are right. I have LEDs and they are many years old now so maybe not as bright as they once were. I've bought some red bulbs to put in them which should be fine now.

Thanks

MOT passed! I fitted the standard rear lights and after a few tweaks here and there all was good.

Over three years of work on and off while using the car for lessons.

Great to have her back now but I just have to decide if to keep her or my 126 which isn't finished yet anyway!

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1425043487.971375.jpg

Finally got round to washing her, looks great now. There is a couple of issues still to fix.

There is a small oil leak which is coming from the coil pack side of the rocker, I'm thinking it's from the o-ring that seals at the end of the can, is this common? It has a new rocker gasket on.

I also need to paint the boot and repair the rear bumper with our plastic welder!

I've got an insurance quote of £94 a year, I guess that's what you get for getting old!

Thanks

Nath

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1425165477.442332.jpg

I've taken her home today, great fun drive back, the polybushes and new suspension make it handle amazing and I can feel the painted markings on the road.

A few little jobs I spotted on the drive back but nothing major.

Great to have it parked outside the house again.

Nath

A few little issues to be fixed after a couple of days driving her.

The main one is a major rattle/banging from the OS rear wheel. It's got a new bearing on it but when I go over bumps it sounds like the wheel is loose and rattling.

Also I had a problem with this wheel "binding", when I tightened the screws holding the drum to the hub up the wheel would be really hard to turn bit when I loosened them it span fine. The shoes are not touching the drum.

Have I located the bearing on wrong? Is it not snug against the stub axle?

The other side is fine.

Thanks

Nath

Haha, the same from me, I've seen another yellow cinq around but it's not yours!

Hi

I've had the drum off today and checked the bearing and it's fine. The binding is from the shoes touching the drum but after a short drive it stops. Hub nut is torqued up.

I still can't solve the knocking coming from that wheel though. I've check all the bolts but it still knocks like the bearing is shot when I go over bumps.

No play in a rear arm or wheel.

Any ideas of what else to check?

Perhaps it sounds like it's coming from there, but someone sitting in the back could locate it better?

Maybe one of the arm bushes could be bad enough to knock with the weight of a car, but the other is still good enough to stop you from moving it?

Definitely not the exhaust?

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I sat in the back today and it's coming from that corner. All bushes are polybushes and are solid.

I'm thinking it may be the exhaust as I made new bumper brackets for the car and maybe I've made them too low so it could be that the pipe is banging the crossmember.

I'm going to have a look tomorrow.

Thanks

Is this the "big nick/mick" everyone is talking about by chance?

Goddamnit: facebook com slash nickolaydb

Hi

Some more miles under my belt and I've had one issue I cant seem to fix. I have lost reverse gear, all other gears are there but not reverse. I had it but it used to drag into it and now its gone.

I've checked for loose brackets and cant find any, where else to look?

Thanks

Nope! I had a quick look earlier and it was loose!

Is the adjustment on the gearstick? It's slack so I'm pulling it manually at the moment!

Thanks

Nope! I had a quick look earlier and it was loose!

Is the adjustment on the gearstick? It's slack so I'm pulling it manually at the moment!

Thanks

there is a set bit on the cable where you need to clip it on the stick, so the push-down engage works.

I don't think there is any adjustment at all.

If you want to rule out the cable, you could take the cable out the gearbox end too. Then reverse just slots in without pushing the stick down.

Thanks
Ming

Back