General Rust Hole Restoration

Currently reading:
General Rust Hole Restoration

Wow bean! Wish mine looked like that :(

There was a time when I was going to scrap it but I couldn't do it. It's taken a lot of time to get this far. Will be so happy when I have that MOT pass in my hand!

Nath

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1370510411.290614.jpg

Getting there now. One side completed, an afternoon left on the other and that's it for welding.

I'm happy with how it looks. Still got the inside to paint up though.

Nath

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1371053880.930019.jpg

The other side is making good progress now. Had to make the inner arch in 3 pieces and weld them together on the car. The shape isn't perfect but I can't seem to get these arches anywhere!

Not just some undersealing on this size and its time to reattach the suspension. Can't wait to see how it sits on its new lowering set.

Thanks

Nath

Thanks for all the comments. After 100k miles and 6 years of owning I couldn't scrap this car.

Today I got the other side completed and reattached the beam!

Trailing arms on tomorrow and them rear shocks after I paint them.

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1371151935.441733.jpg

Thanks

Nath

worth getting them arch protectors now ive just ordered a set (y)

Hi

I have looked at this but couldn't get anyone to post them here. Where did you get them from?

Doubt they would fit mine now as I've made the inner arches myself and won't be the same shape!

Thanks

Nath

Hi

More progress made now. Got the rear suspension all put back together, just got to paint the shocks. Also the fuel tank has gone back in and brake lines reconnected. Took me a while to remember where to route the cables and pipes as its been over a year since it got took apart.

The drums are completed stripped and being cleaned/painted so hopefully I will have the wheels on again very soon. ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1372955956.955673.jpg

Thanks

Nath

Back on its wheels now!

Great to have it looking like a car.

Loads of odds and ends to do now but no rush in these.

Miss driving this car loads!

Thanks

NathImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1373825150.491247.jpg

Hi

It's been a while but this project is nearing completion now. All the major work is done just lots if sanding and painting to do.

The last of the welding was attaching some new pieces to the rear quarters so my bumper has something to bolt into!

Then it's loads of odd jobs and a good clean.

Hoping to get an MOT on it in July and have the summer with it then it's up for sale to get some money for my 126 project.

Can't wait to drive it.

Thanks

Nath

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1394640330.415537.jpgImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1394640341.080097.jpg

It's nice that you're giving it some love, most people would see a ~20yo cheap city car gone rusty and just scrap it. :)

[edit] whoops, just realised I said pretty much the same thing nine months ago. :)

Last edited:
This car is near finished now apart from some painting, hopefully MOt'd in a week or so and maybe up for sale :-/

Anyone interested? ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1421609237.725555.jpg

Thanks

Nath

Hi

I'm at the final shakedown years now and trying to get a MOT.

Most fail areas areas are easy but the one I'm not sure on the strut mount.

The tested says the spring is fouling the car body work and he thinks the strut mount is knackered. I've replaced the other one a year ago so I can see how it might be, I'm running Apex shocks and springs.

Would a mount problem cause a rub on the car body?

Also I'm sure the wheel bearing issue is loose wheel bolts as the wobble wasn't there last week when he looked it over!ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1423855853.223569.jpgImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1423855879.419900.jpg

After 3 and a half years it nearly is back on the road.

Thanks for the reply,

I have just remembered that a couple of years ago it fell off an axle stand on that side and landed on the disc causing the top mount to take the strain!

This must be why it's catching.

This is a small job compared to all the stuff it's had done over the years!

Looks like the shock is coming off again tomorrow!

Thanks

Back