General Replacing a Punto cassette player with a CD

Currently reading:
General Replacing a Punto cassette player with a CD

PeteXXX

Hi,
I have recently bought a Mk2 Punto Active (53 plate, Sept 2003 with no stereo controls by the steering wheel) that has the Blaupunkt cassette player in it. I tried swapping it with an LG CD player but it didn't work and the car would turn over but not start. No dials on the dash worked. Put the old one back and all was OK, apart from the fact that it still a cassette player!!
The top pics are what I have now and the last few are what I tried replacing it with.
There is nowhere to plug the blue/green/yellow block into on the LG.
I've seen a converter cable (final pic) for a few quid. Will this do any good?

Blaupunkt pics

LG pics

Converter lead

Any help appreciated please.

Last edited:
The 3 coloured plugs are new to me... Must be a mk2b thing

The Big black plug simply is the ISO connector, and the Converter lead i think just swaps it over for different manufacters, i have the converter too i think in my punto when i fitted my ripspeed unit

As for why the car all of a sudden no longer starts..... thats well odd.....
The CD player isn't connected to the cars brain system (canbus)
Unless there is a passing wire in the loom - again a mk2b thing?

I'd be inclinded to say is the LG unit fault and sucking power? Really left me stumped...

ziggy

your new stereo is incompatable with the car and i advise you dont plug it back in
the standard stereo in these cars is canbus enabled but i think your problem is more to do with the way the iso plugs are wired from your new player,have they been messed with in some way?

Does your Punto have the small standard subwoofer in the boot? I think the spare wires are for that iirc! If it does and they are your sub in the boot wont work with the new headunit.

As for a converter, the big black plug (iso) should work with your new headunit, ive had 4 diff headunits and they all have been plug and play.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the LG stereo has a Connection marked on the picture for "Remote On" on Power Connector (A)

The Fiat Wiring Loom for the same pin is a connection to the CanBus system to supply the factory fitted radio with CanBus info, i would imagine this being plugged in is draging the Canbus down to ground and causing the ECU to error in a big way.

all other connections are standard and should be OK so I would remove this Wire from the plug and try again

i suspect the "converter" cable basically disconnects this wire for you. don't worry about the Green Blue and yellow connectors these are for things like Telephone CD Changer and Subwoofer connections which as you have the Active model probably terminate somewhere in the wiring loom not connected to anything

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the replies. I've been stuffed with 12 hour night shifts until Sunday morning so I'll take a proper look at them when I'm awake enough to take it all in!!

:)

OK.. I've been awake enough to check through the replies properly now!

The LG has a remote control handset, maybe that's the issue with the Red wire even though it is 'standard' wiring and has not been modified.
There is no sub woofer in the boot but, as was said, maybe the wiring is blanked out somewhere in the loom. The car is Mk2 but it must have been just before the 2b came in as it confused the chap at the FIAT garage as well!

I'm not that worried about getting rid of the LG unit if a new canbus enabled one will work one it's plugged in.

Halfrauds offered to sell me a cable for about £12. He then said, if that doesn't work, we have a cable for about £50... Muppet!

Thanks for the help and suggestions folks :)

OK... I got hold of a Punto High CD player but the connections are a bit different.

puntohighcd.jpg

I tried bridging A4 and A7 (with an in-line fuse, just in case) to get some power to it. The CD will turn on but only gets as far as displaying CANCHECK continuously. I have the code, but there is no option to enter it.
Any ideas folks??

:confused:

you need cancheck disabling
see it as a dna check to the mother ship in this case daddy punto because radio/cd came from the punto down the road that is not from daddies loins
theres a company online can disable this check but i think they want £40

http://www.rampantapathy.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=22

confirm first though that this allows your radio cd to work in a lower active model than the car it was designed for

Thanks for the reply .. Nothings easy, is it?

I've never known such agro replacing a stereo in any car I've ever owned in the last 45 years!!!

:bang: :bang: :bang:

My Mk2 came with the cassette player and I don't recognise the coloured plugs.

You didn't need to cut into the wires like that if it was the black plug. I replaced the cassette in my mk2 with a punto high cd and all I needed was an adaptor harness. Cost me £17 from halfords I think.

I had a few problems with mine where the cd kept getting stuck inside when I pressed eject and I had to keep opening it up to get the bugger out. Ended up taking it to pieces and back together again. Now when I want to put a cd in I have to press eject first. Other than that I haven't had any more problems with it.

If its a fiat its never simple. Good luck with it

Cheers. I had no power to the new CD unit without bridging the cables though.Once I got it going, all it does
is display CANCHECK

Back