Technical Removing Locking Nuts....

Currently reading:
Technical Removing Locking Nuts....

jonathaneuk

Catch me if you can :-)
Well, this morning I needed to take my wheels off, to find that the locking key is all chewed and it won't grip onto the nut itself anymore.

Rang fiat, they said they don't have any replacements for me, and they have a master set which will get them off and will be a hours labour at £63.00

I can't whack a bigger socket over because the outer of the locking nut spins.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

If they are original Fiat locking wheel nuts and you have the code, Fiat can order a new key for you, but it will take time to get it. However, I don't think Fiat ever used locking bolts with the revolving outer ring, so they may not be original.

The AA carry tools for removing locking wheel nuts without the key.

Yeah fiat do use the locking nuts with the outer ring, my mates is the same but different shape, same thing was said by the fiat garage that's why he was saying they would have to do it. But when I rang fiat they said they don't do replacements for my car. :-/

Good luck mate iv been trying to get one off since last week I'm 40 quid down the pan already an I still don't have it off! I have had to book it in to have a nut migged on top to take it off. The lockers fiat use are useless and should apparently be finger tight which I see no point in at all. Hope you can get it sorted mate.

Good luck mate iv been trying to get one off since last week I'm 40 quid down the pan already an I still don't have it off! I have had to book it in to have a nut migged on top to take it off. The lockers fiat use are useless and should apparently be finger tight which I see no point in at all. Hope you can get it sorted mate.

Ah really ? God I'm gonna have trouble then, thanks anyway mate

If they are original Fiat locking wheel nuts and you have the code, Fiat can order a new key for you, but it will take time to get it. However, I don't think Fiat ever used locking bolts with the revolving outer ring, so they may not be original.

The AA carry tools for removing locking wheel nuts without the key.

I've 5 sets in total over several cars, all OEM (very anal with bolts me) and iirc most, if not all, have the spiny outers.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You still might manage it if you put them on yourself. A garage did mine and i have this horrible feeling they used an air gun :mad:

what to remove the broken locking nut or they broke the key / overtightened the locking nut with one?

If they used it to remove they probably used one of these having first broken off the slip ring

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_196491_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

i always tighten the other three bolts ever so slightly (no more than between 1/8th or a 1/16th of a turn before removing the locking bolt (takes the pressure off it ) and i always use a torque wrench......

*(oh and yell at the chap in the fast fit who was about to use the windy gun)*

Last edited:
Andy Monty Thanks for the link sir! I may try this as i have my car booked in weekend after this so gives me chance to try and get it out myself. as for the bloke with the windy gun (love it) i think when i find him im going to ram it up his A£$%!!!! and put a locking nut up there! I think in future i will take my lockies out before it goes near a garage and put them back in myself.

Andy Monty Thanks for the link sir! I may try this as i have my car booked in weekend after this so gives me chance to try and get it out myself. as for the bloke with the windy gun (love it) i think when i find him im going to ram it up his A£$%!!!! and put a locking nut up there! I think in future i will take my lockies out before it goes near a garage and put them back in myself.

not 100% sure they will fit the gp but keep your receipt :devil:

you will need a 1/2" drive T bar ideally to keep even pressure on it to keep it square whilst you get it to grip

217GuNFgbPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

a old solid flat screw driver and big hammer should snap the outer ring off by bashing it between the ring and the lock bolt itself...

Ive used the impact driver method i described above in the past on rounded bolts and its worked.........

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_530655_langId_-1_categoryId_165572

As you can probably guess it moves outside the what can be done in a pub car park range of tasks ;)

Last edited:
If you've got the code in the box, then just order it direct from Evo Automotive who supply to Fiat (and the Dealers). The order form is on their site- http://www.evoautomotive.com/

Received locking nut today, fast delivery, finally got wheels off! Thanks for the info mate !

Back