General Remarkable Car!

Currently reading:
General Remarkable Car!

I've had my Barchetta for nearly three years now, and my wife can't believe that I'm not hankering to change my car. i ususally get bored with them after a year or two. The B has been really remakable in many ways.
It is lowered, has an induction kit, and a Powerflow exhaust and I have covered 20,000 trouble free miles. I replaced the variator and cambelt at 36,000 miles and that's all.
Yesterday I drove from Bolton to Chepstow via the M4 and the Severn Bridge and back again via Sheffield and a very wet and slippery Snake Pass. I covered 420 miles. I filled the car up with Shell Fuel-Save regular unleaded, and the low-fuel light just came on as I got home! That's exactly 42 mpg. This is amazing as I was cruising at 80 or more during the day. I was comfortable and was able to walk afterwards, which I can't always say when I get out of our Grande Punto!
Last week I did a track taster day at Oulton, so the car has beena great all-rounder.
Question is, what would I replace it with if I needed a newer car? I really struggle to come up with an alternative. I wish Fiat would see the opportunity and give us a new version.

Attachments

35.8 KB · Views: 181
I've driven my son's MX5 mk3 a lot. its a great car but very ordinary and ten a penny. You need ten grand to buy an old Boxster, a BMW Z3 or 4 is nice but has an image I don't like and Alfa's? Well?

Like you say, there really is very little other choice! Having just bought one, I've recently been through this whole thought process...

I (VERY BRIEFLY) considered an MR2, MX5, Alfa Spider/GTV etc. The Japanese alternatives left me feeling cold - no real character, and the Alfa, although oozing Italian beauty and character, not to mention the lovely exhaust note, well, you could almost feel it disintegrate as you drove along. One other thing, being 6'4", the barchetta was the only option that I fit into comfortably.

The b on the other hand has everything I wanted and has the added bonus of being super rare and outstandingly good value for money! Plus I love the fact that it's LHD - adds to the charm of getting into it!

Back