Technical car not starting and various electrical issues?

Currently reading:
Technical car not starting and various electrical issues?

littleblackboat

I posted about this on fb but suspect this might be a more appropriate place. Any help appreciated. Car has been in the garage over winter. Charged the battery up but car won't start. Nothing when you turn the key just a noise from the rear (the fuel pump?). Various other things don't seem to be working either, the fog lights (but hazards, headlights ok), the driver side electric window (but the passenger side is fine), the stereo, the glove compartment light. These appear to be linked to various fuses so seems unlikely it's those. Do I have some sort of electrical fault? Is it worth trying changing the battery? The key code light goes out so I don't think it's that. Never had these problems before - normally works fine once the battery is charged.

Did you leave the battery connected over the winter?

If so, there is a good chance the battery is flat or near to it

Try a jump start from another car before going too much further

Deffo sounds like a dead battery. Charged or not it need to be good enough to crank the engine. Also could be bad earth connection to chassis.

Deffo sounds like a dead battery. Charged or not it need to be good enough to crank the engine. Also could be bad earth connection to chassis.
the battery is fully charged (and the stereo does work when the ignition is off). How would I see/check for a bad earth? thanks

The radio will only need a small amount of current, therefore, a low battery will still power the radio and lights etc. However, starting the car needs all the power it can get.

Yes. You may have a dodgy earth, the only real way to check is to wiggle the terminals and see if they are loose.

I had a loose earth cable on my battery once because I tightened it up without pushing it hard down on the battery terminal. The terminals are slightly coned so if you do them up too high, they don’t make a proper grip and can cause a bad connection

I still ask if you have tried jumping it from another car as a test

The radio will only need a small amount of current, therefore, a low battery will still power the radio and lights etc. However, starting the car needs all the power it can get.

Yes. You may have a dodgy earth, the only real way to check is to wiggle the terminals and see if they are loose.

I had a loose earth cable on my battery once because I tightened it up without pushing it hard down on the battery terminal. The terminals are slightly coned so if you do them up too high, they don’t make a proper grip and can cause a bad connection

I still ask if you have tried jumping it from another car as a test
I've not tried jumping it from another car - I'll need to call autoaid breakdown out for that as I'll need to get it out of the garage. I was trying to see if I could resolve it before calling them out but I think I'm going to have to. Will have another check of the batteries and terminals first though.

My MK1 Punto spent it's Twilight years in a lockup garage (eight and a half) years. I used to disconnect the earth (black 45a wire) from the battery. It never ran down, why? Because I removed it from the loop. It sat in there for over eight years. I popped down maybe once every six weeks or so and connected the battery up and cranked it over until it started (about three or four turns) ran it until it reduced in revs, then switch if off as the battery had charged up.

Only drove it out to MOT it or repair it for its MOT, or to gain access to all my motorcycles and assorted spare part for them. And I only used to press the black earth lead on. And it always started. When I eventually sold it, the person I sold it to, phoned me to say that It cut out driving to their home (From the hard shoulder of the m8 motorway) I told them ' open the bonnet and see if the clamp had loosened, then press it on ' they did so. Breakdown cured. I said give it a tighten up when home.

Back