Technical rear spring removal

Currently reading:
Technical rear spring removal

dirky90

looking at removing the rear springs as per the elearn manual, what type of head does that bolt have?? i think its a torx but want to be sure before i order a set.

thanks

That's the hardest bit of the spring change IMO.

They are External Torx, something like this - http://www.toolbuddy.co.uk/external-female-torx-12-drive-choose-sizes-e10-e24-2256-p.asp

Honestly though, don't order any bits specifically, just use a normal socket that fits tightly. I bought some of the bits specifically to change my shocks (after previously changing springs and struggling with the same thing) and ended up using a normal socket in the end this time anyway. They are bolted in with a ridiculous amount of torque and need a lot of force/mallets/breakerbars to move them, so Matty's way now does seem easier/simpler.

cheers guys!!

matt did you use a torx socket or a tight fitting hex??

Last edited:
how do you get to the top of the shock? is it via wheel arch or elsewhere? my spring has gone this morning and quoted £130+vat to replace. the guy told me £40 each side to replace plus £25 each spring.

yea you can access to the top of the shock via the wheel arch, it was really esay to do, i think the tightening torque was 80 nm.

Back