Technical Rear radius arm Help!

Currently reading:
Technical Rear radius arm Help!

puntopeter

i want to replace the bush on the n/s rear radius arm on my mk1 punto as i do believe it is knocking when going over bumps. i have already changed the rear dampers and have checked all the exhaust mounting brackets and heat shield fixings. as a matter of illimination i think thats all it could be, trouble is i dont know the procedure for tackling this job so any help will be appreciated, cheers (y)

Might be something in your boot? I know my spare in the boot can make noise going over bumps if its not really tight in, i Have few other things in boot knocking around making noise aswel :p never bothers me

yeah i've tried taking everything out of the boot including the spair, but the noise is still there. thanks tho!

Peter,

Rear radius arm is actually quite a tricky job, particularly compared to the front. However, I'll run you through it and you can decide whether it's for you.

Tools:
Quality socket set
Trolley Jack
Axle Stands
Torque wrench capable of measuring >280 Nm
Looooong breaker bar with 30/32mm socket (cannot remember which)

Materials:
New radius arm (~£40)
Bearing/hub assembly (~£35)
Bearing/hub assembly stub nut (~£2)

Prop up on axle stands (having slackened wheel bolts)
Remove road wheel
Remove brake drum (I assume you have drums, discs would actually be easier)
Remove brake hoses (incuding brackets) and drum brake mechanisms
Pop the cover off the middle of the hub
Use your breaker bar and 30/32mm socket to remove the stub nut (and discard)
Pull the bearing/hub assembly away from the wheel (and discard)
Position jack under trailing arm and raise until pressure is taken off the damper lower bolt.
Remove damper lower bolt
Slacken the big bolt that holds the arm to the subframe
Gently lower trailing arm to release the spring
Transfer all the parts to the new trailing arm, remembering to use a new hub/bearing assembly and stub nut
Refit in reverse of removal, saving final tightening until the weight of the car is on the floor. The hub nut requires 280Nm, which is more than most torque wrenches can measure.
Bleed brakes and test.

There is another way that involves replacing just the bearing, look for kits on eBay. However, this is not supported by Fiat, or Haynes manuals. There is a guide on PuntoSportsClub though.

Cheers,

Mike

Local garage wanted £150 to do both (ie £75 a side) and all the bushes including sourcing the parts for my MoT. I don't have time to do things like that at the minute so let them get on with it. They got the radius arm and bushes for £40.25 per side, so that should hopefully give you an idea of how many man hours it cost :)

I just replaced the Bushes on a punto i was doing up for a friend. You can get a kit for about £12 delivered from ebay. If you do it this way you can save taking the drum/hub off the arm. There are guides on how to do it on here. (by the way it took two of us best part of a day to do one side as the bolt holding the arm had siezed inside the arm)

Just had Replacement N/S/F track rod and O/S front drop linkage for MOT. I think I've been stung for a whooping £128! Considering when I bought the car 3 months ago the front anti roll bards had just been replaced. I have a Grande Punto, love it, put live in an area surrounded by speed humps! If this is going to be a regular job, then I might have to get something else. My wife has a Doblo and I'm starting to get squeeks from the R/O/S so this may be Track Rods again! Does anyone have any other suggestions? Before my Punto I had a Siencento which use to sail through MOT's untill the last one, but I couldn't complain I had it for 10 years. My Cinquacento before that, I also had for 10 years and it had done over 140,000 miles and still sold for £200! I love Fiat! :)

Just had Replacement N/S/F track rod and O/S front drop linkage for MOT. I think I've been stung for a whooping £128! Considering when I bought the car 3 months ago the front anti roll bards had just been replaced. I have a Grande Punto, love it, put live in an area surrounded by speed humps! If this is going to be a regular job, then I might have to get something else. My wife has a Doblo and I'm starting to get squeeks from the R/O/S so this may be Track Rods again! Does anyone have any other suggestions? Before my Punto I had a Siencento which use to sail through MOT's untill the last one, but I couldn't complain I had it for 10 years. My Cinquacento before that, I also had for 10 years and it had done over 140,000 miles and still sold for £200! I love Fiat! :)

This thread is about the mk1 punto which has a completely different rear suspension (which again is what they're talking about) to your grande punto, also this thread is 6 years old so well out of date.

The grande is comparatively much more complicated and costly than a mk1 or mk2 punto. The doblo is loosely based on the mk2 punto so is still going to be more simple and cheap to repair then a grande.

Though once all the bits have been replaced it shouldn't need regular repairs, though I have to wonder how many miles it has on the clock and how much it's been abused

Thank you AndyRKett. I'm still getting to grips with this Forum. I'm not as regular as most people to go on this site. That said, when I do go on I spend about 4 hours going through all the useful tips ad enjoy all the pics of peoples Fiats. I love Fiat and that's what makes me roll! Happy (s)miles!

Back