General Rattle!

Currently reading:
General Rattle!

hmm...maybe its not right, unless your existing one has been welded in place?

No fear Mr Clivvy
biggrin.gif
I have returned that part and I explained and showed them what mine was like and the correct part is now ordered for tomorrow
thumb.gif

Phil

Attachments

• flexi_section.jpg
    flexi_section.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 24
hmm..id have to hear it and see it from underneath, really difficult to give suggestions, you've done so much already!

if you haven't fixed it by next week, and you are around next Wednesday pop round and we can have a look together - ive got some ramps.

I have uploaded a video of the rattle, I hope people can hear it. The video is taken towards the footwell of the passenger side where the rattle is stronger/more audible. After I let off the accelerator the rattle is more noticeable. Just to re-cap, it is present when the car is idle and cold but goes when warmed up and when car is in motion. During summer the rattle will fade away or even not be there at all.

http://youtu.be/BQNO0qlXR00

I hope someone can shed some new light onto this......please
worship.gif

I've tried to embed the video in this post but can't for the life of me do it.

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:
I have uploaded a video of the rattle, I hope people can hear it. The video is taken towards the footwell of the passenger side where the rattle is stronger/more audible. After I let off the accelerator the rattle is more noticeable. Just to re-cap, it is present when the car is idle and cold but goes when warmed up and when car is in motion. During summer the rattle will fade away or even not be there at all.

http://youtu.be/BQNO0qlXR00

I hope someone can shed some new light onto this......please
worship.gif

I've tried to embed the video in this post but can't for the life of me do it.

Thanks

Phil

If I didn't know better, it would be the timing chain. So, next is the timing belt and tensioner. The belt might be stretched a bit, and touch the belt cover while the engine is cold. Try removing the cover to see if the noise disappears.

If I didn't know better, it would be the timing chain. So, next is the timing belt and tensioner. The belt might be stretched a bit, and touch the belt cover while the engine is cold. Try removing the cover to see if the noise disappears.

Thanks Morty Mort, I'll have a look. I think I've mentioned this before but it's probably worth mentioning again, the rattle is only heard from inside the car.

Phil

Thanks Morty Mort, I'll have a look. I think I've mentioned this before but it's probably worth mentioning again, the rattle is only heard from inside the car.

Phil

You have, but the noise it generates sounds like a chain bearing. And your passenger side is left? Only difference from a LH driven car is the brake and clutch rods going from right to left inside the car. Or is the brake and clutch transferred in the engine compartment?

as far as I know, if it was anything related to the timing belt/pulleys/tensioner, you would hear it in the engine bay for sure. Its not tappets I don't think, because that would be louder as you accelerate.

I'd do another video or two, one above the engine, one below under the timing belt. Just lay the camera flat on a cloth and do what you did in the first video.

Yeah i'll make 2 more videos. However i don't think it's engine related as i've had this rattle for the past 3 years. Since October 2012 i've had a new engine fitted. Also Fiat fixed it but didn't charge me for it when i had my OCS fitted. So although it's a pain to solve it must be simple and quick.

I have been back to Fiat to ask them what they did but no one knows. I didn't get any paper work, only for the OCS and they have changed their systems :rolleyes: They want another £70 to diagnose.

Phil

IT'S FIXED
slayer.gif
..........well Fiat have identified the problem and fixed it for now.

I decided to bite the bullet and book it in at Fiat for diagnostics, they kept it overnight and I got the car back today. It is the gearbox mount (part number 51711216). They applied lubricant or something similar to the bush on the mount and it is now quiet however if it comes back, which I expect it will, I'll have a new mount fitted. It's nice and quite now on start up, it's like a new car
thumb.gif

This is the photo Fiat took. This is the mount that is located under the battery right?

Phil

Attachments

• gearboxmountfiat.jpg
    gearboxmountfiat.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 51
Well its my time to add to the rattle thread!(n) didnt know to start a new thread or not

something inside the drivers side rear hed lining by the rear interior light (3dr with skyroof). has anyone else had this rattle.

im not sure if its the rear/last glass of the skyroof. any thoughts its driving me mad:bang: on tick over.

Paul

Well its my time to add to the rattle thread!(n) didnt know to start a new thread or not

something inside the drivers side rear hed lining by the rear interior light (3dr with skyroof). has anyone else had this rattle.

im not sure if its the rear/last glass of the skyroof. any thoughts its driving me mad:bang: on tick over.

Paul

yup, most people have it. What you need to do is this - open the sky roof, get some 3in1 spray from Halfords, and spray the edges of each panel. Spray the hinges, springs anything that moves. THEN, go to the rear, from inside, and spray all along the edges where the panel meets the lining on the inside, go around the edges of the mechanism to the front. Now close the roof, when closed, carefully spray very lightly the plastic edges you can see - you will notice its probably these that are vibrating - lightly touch them and it may well stop, at the back its the blind that vibrates, so you need to wind that all the way back and spray the mechanism that you can see. Open and close all a couple of times and after a while the noise SHOULD lessen. That's what I did, now at idle its MUCH better, but not completely silent...

3in1 spray is your best friend with these cars.

cheers Clivvy

ill try that when im back from Germany next friday!

it looks like the seal what the glass panels sit down on are old/not as soft as they used to be. looks a pain if i wanted to change it.

ill let you know how i get on. thanks again:worship::worship:

Paul(y)

yup, so is mine but you can spray the rubber with 3-in-1 as well and believe me, it works wonders.

AWESOME!!

how much was it to have that done, I think I want mine doing too (though I am tempted t do it myself...)??

I've had a new gearbox mount fitted by Fiat today and WOW what a difference. The car is a lot quieter and sounds more refined
thumb.gif
It's only taken me 3 years to get it sorted
biggrin.gif
Saying that though other things have taken priority.

woot.gif

Phil

Back