General Rattle!

Currently reading:
General Rattle!

hmmm....and is it the mount, or inside the gearbox?

might be a 5p that's worked its way in! best have that checked-are gears all ok? have you changed the gearbox oil at all? if not, do it.....and ask about adding some molyslip or something-the mechanic will know if its safe or not.(y)

This might sound totally retarded but.... from what I've rear your saying the noise is only noticeable inside the car not outside.

A plastically rattle/squeak will likely be something inside the car vibrating and can drive you insane if you like a quiet car. But locating a squeek can be very difficult because sounds usually sound like they are coming from somewhere else that they actually are. And you base the sound on you sitting in the driving seat.

Why not get the missus to drive you around. You sit in the passenger seat and listen for the squeak now. I did this for an annoying squeak I thought was coming from passenger footwell.

Turns out in was the little shelf on the roof lining where the sunroof controls are (just big enough to store your sun gigs if not fitted with sunroof). Flexing it slightly stoped the creak/squeak, although it comes back now and then and it still sounds like its passenger footwell, but as I know where its coming from I can stop it in a second.

This might sound totally retarded but.... from what I've rear your saying the noise is only noticeable inside the car not outside.

A plastically rattle/squeak will likely be something inside the car vibrating and can drive you insane if you like a quiet car. But locating a squeek can be very difficult because sounds usually sound like they are coming from somewhere else that they actually are. And you base the sound on you sitting in the driving seat.

Why not get the missus to drive you around. You sit in the passenger seat and listen for the squeak now. I did this for an annoying squeak I thought was coming from passenger footwell.

Turns out in was the little shelf on the roof lining where the sunroof controls are (just big enough to store your sun gigs if not fitted with sunroof). Flexing it slightly stoped the creak/squeak, although it comes back now and then and it still sounds like its passenger footwell, but as I know where its coming from I can stop it in a second.

Hello

What you say makes sense but FIAT said something about an exhaust mount. They did something to it and it cured it only for a couple of days though. Also when my mechanic replaced my engine, it quietened down but that only lasted a couple of days. Nothing in the car has been touched, the rattle has gone or quietened down when the engine was replaced and from what Fiat told me. Also its affected by heat, when the car warms up it goes. Thats why i'm adamant the cause is outside the car and the rattle 'travels' through the dash to make it sound like its inside the car.

Phil

I've still got this rattle but I THINK I have found what could be causing it. I am going to buy a new SEAL GASKET (number 12 in the diagram) and have that fitted along with 2 new rubber mounts just for good measure :)

Fiat said it was an exhaust mount seal, so if I replace the mounts and this seal I should have covered it! Also after my new engine was fitted it quietened down a bit but then came back. Obviously the exhaust system would have to be disconnected to remove and fit the engine so that would point to this gasket. The rattle goes away totally when the engine is warmed up and during very warm weather, so heat is a factor.

No video Clivvy, I should have pointed it out to you when I popped round.

I will report back :)

Phil

Attachments

• eper.png
    eper.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 33
Hello

I've finally ordered some parts that will hopefully solve my rattle! I have ordered 3 mounts and a gasket (2x part 8, part 6 and part 12). I brought a new gasket from Fiat at the cost of £24 but I took it back for a refund and purchased all the above parts for £24
thumb.gif
. Fiat say exhaust mount and they reckon its the big one (part 6). Exhaust mount does sound likely, maybe its hardened causing the rattle and when warmed up its softer therefore absorbing any rattles. After I have these fitted I report back!

Phil

Attachments

• eper.png
    eper.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 30
Hello

I've finally ordered some parts that will hopefully solve my rattle! I have ordered 3 mounts and a gasket (2x part 8, part 6 and part 12). I brought a new gasket from Fiat at the cost of £24 but I took it back for a refund and purchased all the above parts for £24
thumb.gif
. Fiat say exhaust mount and they reckon its the big one (part 6). Exhaust mount does sound likely, maybe its hardened causing the rattle and when warmed up its softer therefore absorbing any rattles. After I have these fitted I report back!

Phil

I need some help please
smile.gif

Today I picked up my mounts but the parts shop reckon the 2 pieces of the exhausts are connected metal to metal with sealant in between. However eper shows a sealing gasket (part 12)? and I also received one from Fiat. I have attached a photo of my exhaust, can anyone confirm whether there is a gasket here or not?

The car is booked in for Saturday so I would really like all the parts ready
thumb.gif

Thanks

Phil

Attachments

• 2014-04-02-307.jpg
    2014-04-02-307.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
My JTD doesn't have any gaskets in the exhaust system, it's just metal to metal contact. The few times I've removed the front pipe, I just run a file across the mating surfaces to clean off any rust and refit it without any exhaust sealing compound.

You should never use exhaust sealing compound upstream of a catalytic converter.

My JTD doesn't have any gaskets in the exhaust system, it's just metal to metal contact. The few times I've removed the front pipe, I just run a file across the mating surfaces to clean off any rust and refit it without any exhaust sealing compound.

You should never use exhaust sealing compound upstream of a catalytic converter.

Thanks Davren.

I wonder what gasket Fiat sold me then?! What year is your Stilo Davren? Mines 2002 '52' reg.

Phil

Mine's early 2003 '52'

The flanges on mine are really thick so don't bend. The JTD exhaust system has changed a few times and I think there was also a repair section available, perhaps some versions have thinner flanges so need a gasket to seal them.

Just got my car back after having the 2 mounts fitted and the rattle is still there
banghead.gif

However the mechanic said that there's a crack in the flexi pipe and is repaired by mesh. He said this, when warm would expand and stop any rattling. Thoughts guy? Does this make sense?

Can someone please show me this part on eper?

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:
its feasible, though the flexi warms up pretty quick. I think maybe you just jack it up safely, start it from cold and examine the flexi/sound - will be easier to locate if you can get you head under...

I am beginning to wonder if I was on the right tracks with suspecting the main gearbox/engine mount. I do wonder whether Fiat may have made a mistake or passed on information to the receptionist and she misinterpreted it and passed the info onto my wife. The bloke who dealt with it wasn't present when my wife picked up the car. Anyway I've been looking through some threads about the gearbox mount and I do have the rattle symptoms. However I don't experience any vibrations in the car at all. I've had a feel of the mount rubber and it seems fairly flexible but theres not much of it. When I felt it the car was cold, even though the rubber seems flexible, not at all stiff, could it be possible that's still the cause?

Phil

could well be, the rubber should be quite hard, it goes soft with age/wear, so you might be on the right track.

As an example, if you were to replace all the rubber on your suspension linkages, with poly bushes, you would immediately notice the difference in density and hardness. Its the same for any rubber that holds any sort of weight on the car - has to be hard because when the weight of the car/car part is on it, it shouldnt be compressing too much (otherwise it cant do its job)

could well be, the rubber should be quite hard, it goes soft with age/wear, so you might be on the right track.

As an example, if you were to replace all the rubber on your suspension linkages, with poly bushes, you would immediately notice the difference in density and hardness. Its the same for any rubber that holds any sort of weight on the car - has to be hard because when the weight of the car/car part is on it, it shouldnt be compressing too much (otherwise it cant do its job)

Well I hope it is this mount then I would finally get to the bottom of it. However I found a guide to replacing the mount and it says the rubber hardens which causes the problem. Mines still fairy soft
confused.gif

The problem with the original gearbox mount lies in the rubber it is made from, as it has the tendency to harden very quickly during the years. My car was manufactured 29.03.2002 and after 7 years the mount was long long gone. Once hard enough it transfers the vibrations from the engine and gearbox to the whole chassis of the car.

Last edited:
hmm...that's the opposite of what I knew, though if the rubber is rock hard then yes the problem will be there, there has to be some give, but not so soft...

Right I have a new plan of action
biggrin.gif

Car is booked in again on Saturday for the flexi pipe section of the exhaust to be replaced (whole pipe). IF that doesn't fix it then it's the main gearbox/engine mount next
thumb.gif

I rang Fiat and they want £70 to 'diagnose' this rattle
eek.gif
I did ask if someone could just sit in the car and have a listen to it but no I have to book it in for a diagnostics. So I'm doing the trial and error approach and replace the obvious parts.

Phil

I've picked up my new flexi pipe section but after looking at my existing one I'm not sure if it's right. Mine doesn't look like it has the mounting part at the end...

Thanks

Phil

Attachments

• 2014-04-10-332.jpg
    2014-04-10-332.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 2014-04-10-335.jpg
    2014-04-10-335.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 26
Back