Technical Random loss of power

Currently reading:
Technical Random loss of power

adderly60

Can anyone recommend an experienced mobile Fiat Ducato mechanic to look at an engine management problem with our Motorhome which is in storage at Wickwar?

On several occasions over the last year, our 2015 Pilote Fiat Ducato 2.3 Multijet 150 Motorhome has completely lost power. The issue seemed temporary and didn't log any issues in the Onboard Diagnostics system. I had it checked out at a local garage but no problem was found. As it's been standing for several months I decided to take it for a test run yesterday and barely got 200 metres before power just dropped and no revs despite foot been flat to the floor. After restarting the engine, I managed to limp it back to storage.

This time I notice the engine warning light was on. An ODB scan revealed P0101 error "Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range / Performance". I have inspected the sensor which seemed clean and no evidence of water ingress around the unit itself. After clearing the fault log (took pictures of the various screens first btw), took it for another test run today but problem of limited engine power / acceleration remains. This time no faults recorded on OBD.

Some feedback from other forums have suggested faulty / gunged up EGR valve, replacing air mass sensor / fuel filter or even a dodgy intake manifold pressure sensor. Finding an experienced mobile Fiat Ducato mechanic in North Bristol is near impossible and I want to initially avoid the expense of getting it towed to a garage if perhaps some of these issues could be checked out in situ.

Any thoughts of how to go about getting "Mavis" our beloved Motorhome ready for the road when we are eventually allowed the freedom to roam :)

Can't help with the mobile mechanic, but have you checked inside the air filter?

Can anyone recommend an experienced mobile Fiat Ducato mechanic to look at an engine management problem with our Motorhome which is in storage at Wickwar?

On several occasions over the last year, our 2015 Pilote Fiat Ducato 2.3 Multijet 150 Motorhome has completely lost power. The issue seemed temporary and didn't log any issues in the Onboard Diagnostics system. I had it checked out at a local garage but no problem was found. As it's been standing for several months I decided to take it for a test run yesterday and barely got 200 metres before power just dropped and no revs despite foot been flat to the floor. After restarting the engine, I managed to limp it back to storage.

This time I notice the engine warning light was on. An ODB scan revealed P0101 error "Mass or Volume Air Flow A Circuit Range / Performance". I have inspected the sensor which seemed clean and no evidence of water ingress around the unit itself. After clearing the fault log (took pictures of the various screens first btw), took it for another test run today but problem of limited engine power / acceleration remains. This time no faults recorded on OBD.

Some feedback from other forums have suggested faulty / gunged up EGR valve, replacing air mass sensor / fuel filter or even a dodgy intake manifold pressure sensor. Finding an experienced mobile Fiat Ducato mechanic in North Bristol is near impossible and I want to initially avoid the expense of getting it towed to a garage if perhaps some of these issues could be checked out in situ.

Any thoughts of how to go about getting "Mavis" our beloved Motorhome ready for the road when we are eventually allowed the freedom to roam :)
Hi, ref : (mavis) Have you 'quickly checked' the Electropneumatic turbo pressure control valve, prob. middle of bonnet near windscreen. Now 1 elec. plug and 2 air pies, No.1 vacuum in, No.2 vacuum out. Engine running 1 pipe has a vacuum from the vacuum pump. Now 2 pipe goes to the turbo actuator. With No.1 vacuum pipe re-installed (don't mix up) on the control unit feel for some vacuum suction from the other now exposed outlet on this unit when slightly revving the engine. If nothing you'll have very low power and management lights on

Last edited:
Just thought you helpful souls out there would like to know the current state of play and ask for a tad more advice. I decided to use Motorhome my breakdown cover to call out the mobile AA mechanic. I gave him all the feedback from this and other forums to point him in the right direction. Although a stationary engine rev test (2k revs) caused a repeat of the problem, albeit it temporary i.e. total loss power / revs, no fault was logged on the OBD. This together with a physical inspection of all the pipes, sensors and connections led him to conclude a mechanical issue, possibly the Throttle Body or EGR valve.

On checking my paperwork from the service in February when the air filter was replaced, I noticed that the Air Flow Meter & Sensor were replaced which explains why they looked in good condition.

So, I'm thinking of taking it back to the garage and asking them to examine / clean the Throttle Body / EGR valve. Do you think this is cost effective and worthwhile because at the moment I've lost confidence in driving the Motorhome and in truth would like some problem to be found. Also any ideas how labour intensive this work would be and idea of costs? Thanks again.

Just thought you helpful souls out there would like to know the current state of play and ask for a tad more advice. I decided to use Motorhome my breakdown cover to call out the mobile AA mechanic. I gave him all the feedback from this and other forums to point him in the right direction. Although a stationary engine rev test (2k revs) caused a repeat of the problem, albeit it temporary i.e. total loss power / revs, no fault was logged on the OBD. This together with a physical inspection of all the pipes, sensors and connections led him to conclude a mechanical issue, possibly the Throttle Body or EGR valve.

On checking my paperwork from the service in February when the air filter was replaced, I noticed that the Air Flow Meter & Sensor were replaced which explains why they looked in good condition.

So, I'm thinking of taking it back to the garage and asking them to examine / clean the Throttle Body / EGR valve. Do you think this is cost effective and worthwhile because at the moment I've lost confidence in driving the Motorhome and in truth would like some problem to be found. Also any ideas how labour intensive this work would be and idea of costs? Thanks again.
Was this problem evident in February? Is that why you took it to garage?
Was it driven with a disintegrating air filter?
Was it taken back to place where rodents attacked after garage fixed it?
How many miles on vehicle?

Is your egr cooler on side of engine over gearbox or behind engine?

Throttle body should be easy to get To at least.

Yes, problem occurred a couple of times middle of last year before mice were found in the Motorhome (October) it was taken to garage for annual MOT and service several months after mice had been dealt with. Garage spotted damage to air filter and replaced mass air sensor at same time.
Yes, driven a couple of times (100 mile trips) with disintegrated air filter and returned to storage where mice had been but no sign they have returned.
8k miles on vehicle 2015 model.
Think EGR is on the side of engine

Btw - wondering whether spending £200 on a carbon cleaning service worth it?

Last edited:
Yes, problem occurred a couple of times middle of last year before mice were found in the Motorhome (October) it was taken to garage for annual MOT and service several months after mice had been dealt with. Garage spotted damage to air filter and replaced mass air sensor at same time.
Yes, driven a couple of times (100 mile trips) with disintegrated air filter and returned to storage where mice had been but no sign they have returned.
8k miles on vehicle 2015 model.
Think EGR is on the side of engine

Btw - wondering whether spending £200 on a carbon cleaning service worth it?
No carbon cleaning certainly not worth it

Final update - a resolution has been found. Given all the very plausible suggestions in this forum, it eventually turned out to be a troublesome dead mouse lodged between the air filter and Air flow sensor pipework. We thought they had all been evacuated which is why I hadn't made too much of it in my post, but this one prevailed and randomly got sucked up in to the Mass Air Sensor every so often, causing all the chaos. Now why this hadn't been spotted at the service and when the air filter / sensor had been replaced, goodness knows. The garage I took it to today as a matter of routine checked all the pipework with a camera during their initial diagnostics and found it within minutes. Thankfully, they were honest and experienced and I was spared potentially a huge bill; total cost £118! I guess the mantra "always start with the easy solutions first" was never more true in this case. Thanks again to all the support and feedback on this forum :)

Final update - a resolution has been found. Given all the very plausible suggestions in this forum, it eventually turned out to be a troublesome dead mouse lodged between the air filter and Air flow sensor pipework. We thought they had all been evacuated which is why I hadn't made too much of it in my post, but this one prevailed and randomly got sucked up in to the Mass Air Sensor every so often, causing all the chaos. Now why this hadn't been spotted at the service and when the air filter / sensor had been replaced, goodness knows. The garage I took it to today as a matter of routine checked all the pipework with a camera during their initial diagnostics and found it within minutes. Thankfully, they were honest and experienced and I was spared potentially a huge bill; total cost £118! I guess the mantra "always start with the easy solutions first" was never more true in this case. Thanks again to all the support and feedback on this forum :)

It is unbelievable that the filter would have been replaced but the pipework not checked. I have a friend who bought a one year old motor home which suffered the same problem on his first trip out necessitating a recovery.

Last edited:
Back