Technical Ducato - random hazards

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato - random hazards

CWH

Good morning and, as I guess with most 'first posts', I have a problem which I hope you'll be able to help with please:

On 3 occasions recently my Ducato hazard lights have been flashing intermittently while driving (disconcerting for those following me, especially if they want to overtake!) with no dash light showing or click sounding. Obviously I can't see when they're on but have been informed by someone travelling 'in convoy' re the rear lights and by a passenger one time re front lh on the mirror mount. I can't see the rh one. A couple of times I've put the rh indicator on & had a rapid flash with warning note, but on 2nd use it's been fine; I assume there's a connection. I had assumed damp.
I've checked some similar posts but I'm afraid the answers go straight over my head - I have NO technical/ mechanical knowledge or ability so I'm asking very prettily:
[1] is there anything EXTREMELY basic that I can try
[2] would this be a visit to Fiat Pro or could my local commercial vehicle garage deal

It's a 2017 swb Ducato 2.3 multijet2 130 / vin starts ZFA250 converted to a motorhome with alarm/ tracker/ immobiliser fitted by the converter

Many thanks for any help that anyone can offer

Good morning and, as I guess with most 'first posts', I have a problem which I hope you'll be able to help with please:

On 3 occasions recently my Ducato hazard lights have been flashing intermittently while driving (disconcerting for those following me, especially if they want to overtake!) with no dash light showing or click sounding. Obviously I can't see when they're on but have been informed by someone travelling 'in convoy' re the rear lights and by a passenger one time re front lh on the mirror mount. I can't see the rh one. A couple of times I've put the rh indicator on & had a rapid flash with warning note, but on 2nd use it's been fine; I assume there's a connection. I had assumed damp.
I've checked some similar posts but I'm afraid the answers go straight over my head - I have NO technical/ mechanical knowledge or ability so I'm asking very prettily:
[1] is there anything EXTREMELY basic that I can try
[2] would this be a visit to Fiat Pro or could my local commercial vehicle garage deal

It's a 2017 swb Ducato 2.3 multijet2 130 / vin starts ZFA250 converted to a motorhome with alarm/ tracker/ immobiliser fitted by the converter

Many thanks for any help that anyone can offer
A fairly simple test would be, if you can remove the hazard light switch , unplug it and spray it with switch cleaner at the same time as working it on and off multiple times. You need to spray it so the spray gets inside the switch to clean the contacts.
This has worked for me on occasion , but make sure you use proper electrical cleaner which dries away to nothing, not WD40 type which leaves a residue.
Finally after giving it time to dry off refit and test.
Hopefully that cures it, but if it only partially fixes it then you will know and be able to obtain and fit a new switch, which is probably your cheapest option.:)

Thanks @bugsymike - that all sounds a bit beyond me but I know somebody who might be able to help and possibly has the right cleaner.
So you think it's in the switch then?

Thanks @bugsymike - that all sounds a bit beyond me but I know somebody who might be able to help and possibly has the right cleaner.
So you think it's in the switch then?
It's a fairly easy thing to check and can cause the symptoms you describe. When you operate the hazards it should swap from the normal indicator operation via that switch, so if it is making odd connections it is worth eliminating first.
By the way bad earthing on light units can cause strange effects like the rapid flash you describe, so with all the damp weather corrosion may have got in somewhere.
When they seem to be working correctly it may be worth going around the vehicle to do a full lighting check, which may show up poor earthing etc. Things like the side or brake light flashing in sympathy with the indicators is one.;)

It's a fairly easy thing to check and can cause the symptoms you describe. When you operate the hazards it should swap from the normal indicator operation via that switch, so if it is making odd connections it is worth eliminating first.
By the way bad earthing on light units can cause strange effects like the rapid flash you describe, so with all the damp weather corrosion may have got in somewhere.
When they seem to be working correctly it may be worth going around the vehicle to do a full lighting check, which may show up poor earthing etc. Things like the side or brake light flashing in sympathy with the indicators is one.;)
Thank you, that's helpful (y)

Back