General Rainwater leak into spare wheel recess

Currently reading:
General Rainwater leak into spare wheel recess

Ziomike

We have a Panda diesel on a 57 plate, with a rain water leak into the spare wheel recess under the boot floor, fills up quite a lot in heavy rain.

It's appearing at the bottom of the inside of both rear door pillars from (apparently) the hinge area at the top, at least it seems like it if I test with a hose pipe. I've looked into everything I can think of but so far have been unsuccessful in finding the actual entry point. Although worn the boot door rubber seems OK, although the previous owner put a load of sealant inside it so the problem seems to be long standing.

Anyone else with this problem ?, other than this its a great little car.

Thanks for the link, most suggestions seem to center on the boot lid rubber or the ventialtion flap these are not it.

I've attached a couple of photos marked up where its coming in (both sides of the car) on the rear pillars dripping off the top edge of a tirangular(ish) access hole. If the plastic trim is in place it runs down that and then accumulates (2nd photo) and then runs into the spare wheel well. With the trim removed it drips down to the smae place. 2nd photo of a small dribble just from dew on the outside of the car overnight. Worse on the nearside as the car tilts to the nearside slightly when parked, which suggests it coming in at the top of the boot door opening.

I've checked the rear light clusters, number plate mounting, ventilation flap, door rubber (worn but not it), dosent seem to be any of these.

Should this access hole have cover ?, I could tape over it, it won't cure the leak but where would the water go, accumulate inside the chassis ?

Attachments

• IMG_0118a.jpg
    IMG_0118a.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0117a.jpg
    IMG_0117a.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 56
the talcum powder trick mentioned in the thread posted earlier is a Good idea to find the highest point of entry

Last edited:
whoops thought we were talking about water entering via the hatch

the only place for water to enter C pillars is the aerial, rear hatch grommet, Windows or lights

water entering both sides I would suspect the aerial. I would put my hand under the headlining and see if its damp.

Last edited:
Thanks.
After trying with a watering can today I think it might be the rear quaterlight windows.
I've got a smoke generator so I will try and pipe it into the C pillars and see if that works, heard on some forums that that can work.
Mike.

Last edited:
Had the exact same problem. Mine was a pin hole at the weld just under the black strip on the roof. Only about 1/2 inch in. Check it out could be the same thing.

Had the exact same problem. Mine was a pin hole at the weld just under the black strip on the roof. Only about 1/2 inch in. Check it out could be the same thing.

Thanks I'll have a look at those strips.

The smoke generator didnt help, I ducted it into the rear C pillars but got no smoke at the outside of the car except for around the filler cap housing. As the leak is the same on both sides and I can find water dribbling down the inside of the seat belt mechanisim recess inside, I cant see it being the filler cap housing, too low down.

I found seams at the top of the rear door (the hinge area) at either side that had gaps in the filler (could get a small knife blade in) so I filled those, have also sealed the door rubber to the bodywork with clear sealer accross the top and down the sides. Cleaned out the gap at the top of the rear quaterlight windows as well (the sides have rubber strip seals) and filled those.

I've window leaks in a Tipo where water was getting into the fuse/distribution box, and a Tempra estate rear window. Sometimes the glued in windows seem to have gaps, has'nt been done properly or the glue has gone old. Filling with clear sealer has cured the problem for me in the past.

I've just started to get water in the spare wheel well so was wondering if your issue was ever solved?
It has always been dry until about a week ago when I had about 3 inched of water in the wheel well.

I've just started to get water in the spare wheel well so was wondering if your issue was ever solved?
It has always been dry until about a week ago when I had about 3 inched of water in the wheel well.

It has a few causes

Hatch seam
Rear lights
Rear quarter windows
Door seal
Hatch seal
Sun roof
Hole in floor

Nobody can say this will fix it until you discover where it's coming in

Which normally involves removing the carpet and inspecting the highest point water bead can be found

Sometimes doing small areas with a water jug or hose pipe cn be useful

Back