Tuning racechip.de pro on 165MJ

Currently reading:
Tuning racechip.de pro on 165MJ

so are you suggesting fiat tweak the map on every car they make?

I dont trust them,
because how can every single Car in the world running at diffrent atmospheres and temperatures require the exact same tweaks in the map?
No car is the same, all need specific alterations, if you think loads of sensors on the car and each one could be reading slightly different to the next "identical" car?
What happens is they take a random Bravo for example somewhere in the world remap it, put it into a box and sell it on.
Also tune boxes don't take into account exhausts/intakes(filters) you might of changed.
And the worst kind of "boxes", the increased response people generally feel is the sensitivity adjustment in the Fly by wire throttle increased, boost increase is tricking the ECU into false or lower boost readings.

A true remap takes all the conditions and loads then they adjust everything around this data,
Hence my car Remapped was night and day,
it pulls in 6th like it used to in 3rd, i drove down doing 43mpg and drove back doing 57.2mpg, less stress on the engine because its set up truly for the car.
It's crazy i had £50 of diesel in my tank did a 400mile round trip wife did 4trips to work and we STILL have more than 1/4 of a tank left, and by doing the maths i get 100miles more now per fill up.

so are you suggesting fiat tweak the map on every car they make?

It's all down to ££ fiat can't afford to do every car, so they detune them to the point no harm could possibly be done,

Last edited:
not saying you wont be getting more mpg but that test is no good, on the way there ecu is in a settled state, on the way back it would be readjusting its self learn part

ECU has been reset by fiat twice because it had a couple of problems and after i ran it in i got them to clear it, then i could run it hard so it didn't drive like a girls car.

BUT im not sure how much of my mpg gains were down to the EGR delete,
I say that cos i think mine was **** poor compared to everyone else's mpg readings on the forum.

my car has a tuning box on it im averaging roughly 56mpg and its running at 208bhp with no problems has been 4 2 years now and my box doesnt just add fuel it also controls the turbo to adding more air to keep the fuel to air ratio correct

my car has a tuning box on it im averaging roughly 56mpg and its running at 208bhp with no problems has been 4 2 years now and my box doesnt just add fuel it also controls the turbo to adding more air to keep the fuel to air ratio correct

So what difference does it actually make? Like what's the 0-60 time and does your clutch need replacing or does it slip?

208! i'd be apprehensive of going anymore than 25bhp increase without changing the clutch to a solid one and upgrading the intercooler. A rempap or tuning box is used to make more power, why not upgrade the parts that will take the strain?
Also worth changing exhaust and air box as it will only compliment the upgrade.

Dtuk box no probs and im on 90k now been on there almost 40k now still no clutch slip or anything

Do you ever get heavy black smoke? I had one plugged into my MiTo (previous car) and it used to smoke under accelaration (even moderate) sometimes. Not just puffs of smoke either. Thick dirty great clouds of it. Had it on up until I sold the car at 35k miles. The DPF light used to be a problem as well, despite suitable driving for it not to become blocked. The DPF light on my 165 mjet has never come on.

No mate I'm talking about any "tuning box" you guys just get suckered in with the blurb on the website. Yes it will up boost pressure and fuelling has I already said by tricking the ECU.

The box don't upload maps the only way it can adjust fuel pressure/turbo pressure is by fooling with the sensor outputs. Yes it looks more advanced than just a resistor in a box but it is principally the same.

Hi new here but way to old in the tooth where tuning is concerned. personally i use tuning boxes these days. not just any one but a specific type which not only changes fuel pressure and duration but also has a MAF compensator build in ie plugged to the MAF. strange how so many so called tuners miss this a deteriating MAF! sorry going off track, so all a tuning box does is" up rail pressure,so it could not make a car more economic" what utter tripe next time you are out in the garden with a water hose stick your finger over the outlet,see how the pressure builds up and how finer spray you get? but you don't get any more water out of the pipe after all the metering is already set by the tap. Sooo you get a better burn ie more power quicker pick up and therefore do not use any more fuel.
Now take my tunnig box on my 80k bravo i can adjust the MAF signal to compensate for the MAF getting old,or for using a cheap maf copy or even for using the superior pierburg models to calibrate them for use. actually you would be amazed at how a 70 or 80k car still running on the original MAF would benefit from a mere digimafam to strengthen the MAF signal standard or tuned.opps hang on remaps are infallible!
I am sure you also know that, dumping the MAF altogether and getting a conversion to the MAP sensor so would give far better for control of air volume readings and therefore better tuning more power and better mpg.

I am not sure why i posted i suppose its all about opinions rightly or wrongly but both my bravo and my older 2.2tdci Mondeo run pretty well on tuning boxes and give better MPG especially when cruising at 65/75mph on our twice yearly jolts abroad FACT. and not trip computer readings either.....

Do you think problems occur on latest diesels with DPF's fitted? I got a quote for DPF bypassing which including a remap but at £695 this was a bit out of my price range. On my Alfa the DPF light came on all the time with a tuning box installed but never when the box wasn't in.

In my experience (not on a fiat) tuning box , if a good one, can give more go and at least the same as previous economy. You do not get massive economy gains anyone who takes the economy figures off the trip computer after a tuning box is fitted is deluding themselves, the box will manipulate various parameters some of which the ecu itself will not see this means that the trip computer does not see all the extra fuel injected so gives falsely high readings probably plus 10% in most cases. Only accurate way to check fuel economy after a tuning box is to do brim to brim fills.

Do you think problems occur on latest diesels with DPF's fitted? I got a quote for DPF bypassing which including a remap but at £695 this was a bit out of my price range. On my Alfa the DPF light came on all the time with a tuning box installed but never when the box wasn't in.

shop around you should be able to get dpf bypass remap for 300

I don't think the newer Mjets can be bypassed can they?
Mine looks like it's the whole turbo outlet/downpipe, also you'll have a 5th injector and pipework to deal with?

new dpfs don't have additive anymore so no extra injectors never had any problems with mine at all

Hi killahboo,
Could you please send a quick update on the RaceChip box? are you still satisfied? Any reliability issues?

Thanks,
David

Back