Technical Punto ELX 2000 W Reg issues

Currently reading:
Technical Punto ELX 2000 W Reg issues

foseco

Hi all.

Just joined the forum. I recently purchased a second hand Fiat Punto ELX 2000. She has a few issues.

1. Noticed after I got her the power steering light would stay on after starting. If I turned her off and back on, sometimes it would go off but now it is staying on all the time. Could this be the battery or something more serious?

2. She has a whining/grinding noise in 1st and 2nd gear.

3. When indicating to turn left or right she decides if she wants to keep indicating or not. Seems less of an issue when driving straight, the indicators will usually stay on but if approaching a turn on a bend, the indicator won't always stay on.

4. I managed to snap off the top plastic part that holds the rear wiper blade on. I have purchased one from a well known auction site but it appears to be a whole arm. Can anyone direct me on replacing this?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Foseco

1. Noticed after I got her the power steering light would stay on after starting. If I turned her off and back on, sometimes it would go off but now it is staying on all the time. Could this be the battery or something more serious?

Firstly, is your Power Steering okay if you do a full lock does it cut out? If not; then you will need to use MES (MultiECUScan, formally known as FiatECUScan - FES) to do a diagnostic scan on the vehicle.

Just Google "MultiECUScan", it's the first one in the results (you can't miss it!).

Secondly, you'll need diagnostic cables; you can purchase these from either Amazon or eBay but to save some time here's a link to a eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-FIAT...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a7dd76e86

On the MES website it'll have a F.A.Q on what to do.

Now, for the other questions they aren't my field of knowledge; so it's a matter of waiting for someone else to come a long and help you with those.

Hopefully this helps in some way.

Benny

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The steering feels ok. If I put the City mode on, the steering goes really light so I assume at least that part of it is working. The car doesn't seem that hard to steer, it gets heavier at low speed and when parking but not too heavy so I don't know. I never noticed any difference when the light was on or off.

Just checked on my way home. Power steering is definately working. When I started her this morning the power steering light went out. I reversed out of my parking space and put full right lock on and the power steering light came on but the power steering was still working.

Back