Technical Pulsing engine and headlights

Currently reading:
Technical Pulsing engine and headlights

arnasz20

Hi all,

I'm a complete car newbie so please bare with, I appreciate any responses I might get here :)

Bought a 1.4 Fiat Punto Evo 2010 yesterday, and noticed in the night-time the headlights were slightly dimming and then going back to normal continuously. The same was happening to the inside light of the car (dash unaffected). As far as I understand this could be an issue with the battery or alternator, has anyone experienced this before or has got any advice?

The engine also seems to sometimes 'pulse' in sound, almost in time with the lights. I have also noticed once or twice the right turn signal stops indicating even though the stick is turned.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a bad regulator on the alternator. Voltage probably swings up and down, and ECU tries to maintain accurate fuel injection (injectors depend on a steady voltage to spray accurate dosage of fuel), but fails whel voltage drops low. A voltmeter should be enough to verify the problem...

Check first for poor battery cell contact and poor ground contact.

First things first…

Before assuming there is anything wrong drive it for a few days, take it on some long runs.

If you only bought it yesterday then the likelihood is it’s sat for a long time not being used (assuming you bought it from a car dealer) and so after a few days of use the battery will be filled up again and the problem may just go away without doing anything.

Cars that sit on dealers forecourts for any Length of time often suffer a low battery that works but just needs a good charge

Hi all,

I'm a complete car newbie so please bare with, I appreciate any responses I might get here :)

Bought a 1.4 Fiat Punto Evo 2010 yesterday, and noticed in the night-time the headlights were slightly dimming and then going back to normal continuously. The same was happening to the inside light of the car (dash unaffected). As far as I understand this could be an issue with the battery or alternator, has anyone experienced this before or has got any advice?

The engine also seems to sometimes 'pulse' in sound, almost in time with the lights. I have also noticed once or twice the right turn signal stops indicating even though the stick is turned.

Thanks in advance!

How was it..?

Back