Technical Engine misfire after oil change and spark plug replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Engine misfire after oil change and spark plug replacement

gais

Just had a service done with an oil change and spark plug replacement on my wife's Punto Evo 1.4 MultiAir last week. First longer drive and she got stranded on the motorway (max 50km driven since the oil change). I went to pick up the car and check the fault codes using Torque and an OBDII dongle. I got:

P0300 - Powertrain
Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire detected

P0301 - Powertrain
Cylinder 1 Misfire detected

P0303 - Powertrain
Cylinder 3 Misfire detected

Took the engine cover off, removed the coils and took out the spark plugs to take a look. I did notice that the spark plugs were in hand tight, I could take them out without any force on the spanner. Cylinder 1 was wet and oily, the rest looked visually OK. A bit of carbon that I noticed when I cleaned the plugs by hand. I also noticed that the gasket ring was not compressed as I think it should be when you correctly replace the spark plugs.

Cleaned the plugs and put them back in, torqued them to 20NM and drove the car back to the workshop that did the service. On the highway it drives OK, but seems to lack top end power. In city traffic it does not idle well and runs on 2 cylinders unless you keep the revs above 1500rpm.

Any idea's what they could have messed up? I was hoping that tightening the plugs would have solved the problem, but it came back after about 15 minutes of driving. My guess would be too much engine oil or a broken ignition coil. As the 1.4 Turbo has individual coils per cylinder it seems a bit odd that two of them would die at the same time, directly after a spark plug replacement.

Any thoughts?

Update: seems like they've put in the wrong oil (5w40 A3) and it might have damaged the Multiair unit. They're flushing the engine now and putting in 0w30 C2, hope that it comes back to life after that. It has only done about 50km since the oil change, so hopefully no permanent damage.

Back