Pug Paint - Respray

Currently reading:
Pug Paint - Respray

now im looking at respraying a fair chunk of my car due to bad paintwork from the previous owner, now its that bad its flaking :cry: started to flake while washing it today :cry:

so basicly im after some advice on where i can get paint for my car, i know can get it in cans from halfords but what about the paint for a spray gun for a compressor?

also would a small portable compressor be fine for spraying?

looking at buying it all as it willcome in handy for many a things plus will save money in the long run

all advice and help appreciated.

J

i work in halfords they can make it up for you in 500ml a 1L tins aswell and will make as much as u want...

as long as u wish to pay the prices!
lol

i work in halfords they can make it up for you in 500ml a 1L tins aswell and will make as much as u want...

as long as u wish to pay the prices!
lol

ive heard bad things about halfords mix's, the cans are fine, the one i used was perfect but as i have siad heard things about the colours being out and such. its not a small area, its a big bit of body work :(

ive heard bad things about halfords mix's, the cans are fine, the one i used was perfect but as i have siad heard things about the colours being out and such. its not a small area, its a big bit of body work :(

same can be said of factors though, they dont always get it right, especialy for an old car where original paint has weathered

painting an aged car is always a problem, it will be faded. these days the problem is even greater because the paint used on your car can no longer be legally sold, and the water based equivalent is almost certinly going to be different. the 'best' place to buy paint is from a large supplier, go ask your local insurance approved motor body repair place where they buy paint from, thats your best bet, and the cheapest place as well. ask the nice man there if he'll sell you some cellulose paint if you pay a bit extra and promise not to tell anyone ;) dont even ask for 2pack, they'll slap you.

If you're doing a one of job then something like an electric system e.g. Earlex HVLP HV5000 Spraystation will probably fit the bill. No idea on price but probably not that cheap. Do you have somewhere to spray, on the drive and it's a Celly only job really. In a garage you could probably spray waterbased but you probably still need a 2k lacquer which you'll need a full face air fed mask, disposable suits and a compressor. Realistically I think the homesprayer is limited to spraying celly which can still be bought fairly easily. Type in car paint into yell.co.uk and see what comes up.

One other alternative is to paint the car with a roller using tremclad or rust-oleum combi color as it's known in the uk. This is an alkyd enamel type paint as suggested by the VW crowd, search for "tremclad vw" on google. Never tried this myself but some peeps reckon they've got good results for little money. Sounds a bit crazy to me but maybe worth a crack.

Back