Restoring faded Red paint on a Y reg Corsa

Currently reading:
Restoring faded Red paint on a Y reg Corsa

austenw90

'13 Punto MultiAir 105
Hello, as the title suggests I am trying to find a way of restoring the faded paint on a 12 year old Corsa. As with most of the red ones it has a faded roof, bonnet and upper areas of panels in direct sunlight. I've had a go with Autoglym Paint Renovator, Super Resin Polish and regular T-Cut but it doesn't seem to do much at all. There is also a stain where bird s**t has been left on the car for so long.

I've red that it's oxidisation of the top layer of the paint as Vauxhall didn't apply clearcoat to red cars for a long time. Do they now? Still see fairly new Astra and Corsa's with signs of fading.

Anyway, has anyone restored the paint on one or have any idea how to go about it. I'm doing it for free so don't want to go buying a machine polisher or anything like that. Just good old elbow grease and microfibre cloths. I've washed it thoroughly and tried polishing it up but the paint is still rough and even Super Resin Polish seems to have no affect whatsoever.

I'm not a fan at all of Vauxhall, in my opinion they probably make the worst and nastiest cars on the market. But doing this as a favour so any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi mate.

Short answer, I had a red vauxhall corsa (1998) and spent 6 hours t-cutting.

The result was 100% red with hardly any faded paint.

Time and effort and t-cut and you'll manage it mate - the one advantage to having 'proper' paint instead of clear coat.

If you want pics I can put some up

Alternatively, (although it's the same principle) ...
Purchase a cutting compound, a polisher with a woolen mitt and a smooth buffing mitt and some quality polish.

After thoroughly cleaning the car, and I do mean a thorough clean, apply a small amount of compound to the bodywork. Slowly wind up the rpm of the polisher (using the woolen mitt) and work small areas. Continue the process over the car.
Once completed you should see the difference in colour already.
Then using the smooth mitt, apply a small amount of polish and repeat the process.
Waxing the car afterwards will add an extra layer of protection. My old polo did this and faded to a salmon pink colour. After I'd done the above, it shined up like brand new.
Good luck
Ta

It's come up really well with some T-Cut and many hours of polishing. However the roof after three applications of T-Cut still has quite bad oxidisation. Any ideas on how to get rid of this?

and thanks for the helps!

Back