Technical Problem with Duologic

Currently reading:
Technical Problem with Duologic

Selespeed Pandas are "notorious" for rapid clutch wear, which is entirely down to driving the car like an old "slushbox' automatic. That driving style rapidly chews up the clutch, the "pedal" action gets heavy and the hydraulic shifters can't cope. Be aware that its not a traditional auto and the clutch will last just fine.

When I asked them to top up the gearbox oil, they said that they couldn't tell how much oil is needed.
Odd, every gearbox I've encountered is full when up to the filler plug.
As long as you / they are aware there are two separate transmission fluids on Dualogic / Selespeed: one for the conventional gearbox with differential, and a separate reservoir with different oil for the Dualogic robot that pushes the clutch and changes gear for you.
The Dualogic reservoir has a cut-out to give access to the filler plug on the front of the gearbox.
Perhaps indicates the importance of finding a mechanic experienced with these transmissions - although I'd keep well clear of main dealers if I were you.
there use to be car maintenance clubs, not seen one advertised in years, use to take your car with parts and someone would guide you through fixing and servicing.
The only one I'm familiar with is in north Buckinghamshire, known as 'Field of Dreams' where you can take your temperamental classic / knackered banger for knowledgeable/enthusiastic folk to poke and laugh at. The next one's over Easter: https://autoshite.com/topic/19386-six-cylinders-motoring-notes-let’s-talk-about-easter/page/388/?tab=comments#comment-2500705
As they seem to welcome the sublime (Maseratis, big Citroens) to the ridiculous (British Leyland shonk, Citroens), I'm sure they'd be delighted* to see an automatic FIAT :)

Last edited:
My dialogic, 60k miles and is just fine.
One soon adjusts from a torque converter type automatic to a selespeed type gearbox.
My mechanic says he's constantly surprised how many robot auto clutches he has to replace. So while it is easy to adapt from a slushbox, a lot of drivers don't and pay the costs.

Mercedes Sprinter vans have eight speed robotised gearboxes. Some get through clutches at a prodigious rate, while others are fine. So it's not just a Fiat issue.

Back