Post vehicle selling advice

Currently reading:
Post vehicle selling advice

Not fiat related but, I sold a 50cc moped on behalf of my sister. It was one of these chinese bikes.

She got it from a friend who purchased it from new but never used it and never registered it ( they were sold unregistered).

I sold it on 11th September via eBay as an unregistered moped with no paperwork and an unknown age just that it ran and stuff worked. Guy has been trying to register it but has failed so contacted me recently to see if I can get the original paperwork from the company it was purchased from (direct bikes ).

after a but of of an exchange with them they have now turned round and said that it was purchased 6 years ago and as such nothing they can do. I've relayed this to the buyer who has now come back saying that he doesnt know what to do and that he bought the bike as a couple of years old not a 6 yr old bike.

Im not sure what to do know age I didn't list the age as I didn't know it and I thought it was quite obvious looking at the condition of it that it wasn't a couple of years old.

Any advice would be much appreciated especially since it's been 6 weeks since he purchased it!

Its an auction, by a private seller. So 'Buyer beware'. Your ad gives only a little detail, but does not appear to mislead at all. It is up to the buyer, or potential buyer to determine facts before bidding, not whinge afterwards.

However, when first supplied, 6 years ago, it would have come with an invoice and an initial registration document (used to be a V55, possibly still is) It would be great if the original purchaser could find these.

The new owner can still contact DVLA, get a new vehicle registration document, and using the frame and engine numbers register it. It might get a strange plate, (do they still issue Q plates?), like a kit car might.

up to the new owner to sort this, as he should expect form the details in the ad. At £330, it is still a cheap bike.

Its an auction, by a private seller. So 'Buyer beware'. Your ad gives only a little detail, but does not appear to mislead at all. It is up to the buyer, or potential buyer to determine facts before bidding, not whinge afterwards.

However, when first supplied, 6 years ago, it would have come with an invoice and an initial registration document (used to be a V55, possibly still is) It would be great if the original purchaser could find these.

The new owner can still contact DVLA, get a new vehicle registration document, and using the frame and engine numbers register it. It might get a strange plate, (do they still issue Q plates?), like a kit car might.

up to the new owner to sort this, as he should expect form the details in the ad. At £330, it is still a cheap bike.

Thanks for your help. Sadly the documents have been lost by the original purchaser in subsequent house moves. I think he's tried to register it but dvla came back saying that it was imported by a company so must have a certificate of conformity which is why he contacted me.

Yes they still issue q plates after an iva/msva which is a route he could go down but not a cheap or easy one!

Other than you stating 'it should be fairly easy to register' then there is nothing else he can quibble with. But then nothing is ever fairly easy with the DVLA, they are so big that no one seems to be able to make a concrete decision. Without the original papers they may well struggle to sort it out. It will be a PITA whatever happens.

Here's an idea.
Each vehicle model gets a type approval number. That is shown on the V5 registration document.
Every one of these sold by directbikes will have had the same type approval number, and the VIN will have changed only the last 5 or 6 digits.

The challenge now, for the new owner, is to find another one. Obtain the VIN and type approval number, then call DVLA with those details. Hopefully they can talk to someone who will accept that that number will be applicable to this bike and then explain the process for registration using it. Being nice to DVLA may well bring an easy result. Should be worthwhile.

If it had been a 125, I'd have been tempted, but would have done homework first.

the reality is, you've sold it as non-registered.., it still is.

you've got a fair return . but the average 6 year old chinese built moped is now at a breakers.

new owner will probably be better to buy a donor, and put all the new / unused shiny stuff on a frame with V5 - probably cost @£30

Back