Police FPN advice... Wheel Poke.

Currently reading:
Police FPN advice... Wheel Poke.

Well,

Just got back from my local Police Station. (Never been in one before, so was something new at least ;) )

There wasn't anyone of real, Superior power to talk to and those who I did talk to, see my pictures and read the Regulations and even they were like "well, that all seems above board to be honest..."

With regards to the actual offence ...(likely to cause danger) "If anything you're mirrors are more of a danger..."

Got nothing in writing though.

They basically said whats already been said before.

-swap the wheels back to show I'm not basically being reasonable about it.

-take as many photos as I can, to show from the front/back just how far it seems they protrude.

-if I decide court is the way forward then

to explain that I'm not there to embarrass anyone, just for clarification of the law.

-get a hard copy of the Regulations and photos.

As for insurance, the only time I really have to contact them is next Saturday as they're hours are 9:00-17:30 during the week.

Also, I refuse to put plastic unsightly arches on my Grande, if I wanted them I'd drive a Saxo. :)

As for insurance, the only time I really have to contact them is next Saturday as they're hours are 9:00-17:30 during the week.

If the insurance don't know about these wheels, you are probably uninsured. These are classed as a modification and must be declared, as they will affect the premium. (Modifications give an insight into the mindset of the owner, so will affect risk assessments.) If modifications are not declared, often insurance is declared void when a claim is made. Then you get prosecuted for no insurance. If you can't contact them before Saturday, best not to drive the car.

And if youre with direct line and are under 25 expect a reply of... "sorry we cant insure you for modifications until you are 25 or have held a lisence (sp?) For 5 years.

What I would say, for what it's worth, and remember it won't be me in court, is that first of all, this is not the crime of the century. The Prosecution won't go to the extent of lining up a bus load of expert witnesses and the entire cast of CSI Las Vegas.

It will simply be a case of a Cop filling out the relevant forms and passing them to his Sergeant who may pass them to his Inspector. The CPS will have a look and then it's your turn.

If you'd killed a family of four while driving with twice the legal limit in your system, everybody except you would be pretty hacked off. But it's not the case here. As long as you haven't pi**ed off various members of your local Constabulary they won't care whether you get a discharge or get sent to Devil's Island as long as they can be shown to have done their job properly.

In a case like this you should be able to show the Mags that you (remember this phrase) "Had an honestly held belief....." that you were not committing an offence. Whether you did or not doesn't alter the fact that an offence may have taken place, simply whether or not you knowingly committed it.

Remember also that "To prove" also means "To test". Whether a case is proven or not, it just means that you tested the allegation.

Good luck, as has been said before, please keep us informed.

as already said get as much evidence you can and go to court, that's what i'd do.
just because they are police officers doesn't mean they are always right & this case looks a perfect example of that.

Looks to be a perfect case, tis an easy thing to say when it's not you that's going to go to court.

http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/showthread.php?12503-Wheels-amp-Tyres-Road-Traffic-Act-1988&

Reasons for Failure:

e) A wheel

i. is fitted with a wing nut.

ii. projects beyond the vehicle body plan form.

The 30mm refers to the sidewall, this is for ye olde cars running 80 section tyres where the sidewall would protrude past the rim and arch, not talking about the rim itself.

I really do think that if people don't know for sure whether something is legal or not, then they shouldn't really be giving advice. It's up there in black and white as to what the. Someone could end up getting points or a fine because they follow the advice that you give which is based on your interpretation of the law which may be right or wrong.....

Looks to be a perfect case, tis an easy thing to say when it's not you that's going to go to court.

http://www.5ive-o.org/forum/showthread.php?12503-Wheels-amp-Tyres-Road-Traffic-Act-1988&

[/B]

The 30mm refers to the sidewall, this is for ye olde cars running 80 section tyres where the sidewall would protrude past the rim and arch, not talking about the rim itself.

I really do think that if people don't know for sure whether something is legal or not, then they shouldn't really be giving advice. It's up there in black and white as to what the. Someone could end up getting points or a fine because they follow the advice that you give which is based on your interpretation of the law which may be right or wrong.....

Looked at the pictures again and you are correct. The rim itself sticks out so I guess it is illegal.

edit:
I guess the 30mm part is for tyres like this:

IMG_9679_et.jpg

Last edited:
Looked at the pictures again and you are correct. The rim itself sticks out so I guess it is illegal.

edit:
I guess the 30mm part is for tyres like this:

View attachment 120096
Exactly, sadly a number of people who have read the rules hoping that it says what they think it says have caused trouble for the ones that will get caught.

Very strong opinion from you, sir.
People are into different 'scenes'.

From what i can see in your avatar, it doesn't look like your wheels are fit for your uno...
Waaay to big.

Last edited:
And if youre with direct line and are under 25 expect a reply of... "sorry we cant insure you for modifications until you are 25 or have held a lisence (sp?) For 5 years.

I'm not, and I'm not....:D

Anyways,... Having been through the same literature over 100 times and taking into account everyone that I've spoken to and of course the Forums support and anguish....

I've decided it may be best to Pay Up and lose the wheels.

The money I'll get for them along with the 4 new tyres will help pay for other things.

And given that court fees would cost hundreds or so I was told at the Police Station. Is it really worth it.

Here's the new debate.

I popped along to the website displayed on the ticket to clear this matter up.

Took a quick glance at the FAQ section, just for a browse.

And in the table was the lost of ticket offences and fine amounts, dependant on the ticket prefix.

My ticket is K##########

So according to the website, I'm being done for

K No MOT / No Vehicle Excise Licence Offences / No seat belt £60

When really, I believe it would fall under N

N Motoring - Non Endorsable £30

Seeing as I'm not receiving points.

See table here... http://caofp.latestinfo.co.uk/faq.php

Or am I being naive again....?

Back