Technical Petrol Smell in the car

Currently reading:
Technical Petrol Smell in the car

what was the conclusion to this thread?. As i have developed this petrol smell too, Sometimes its there and others its not. Surely cant be normal.
Someone once mentioned about a breather valve on the tank. Any positive comments on this.

Nothing it will be fine KC ;)

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 56
Possibly entirely unrelated but i had the petrol smell in a clio once and it turned out the filter just inside the cap that was inside the car under the back seats was slighly folded so fumes were escaping into the car.
xs

Had smell of petrol in my 20v Marea a couple of years ago, turned out it was the fuel return pipe which was slightly loose where it attached to the fuel rail. That's what I was told anyway.

i've had petrol smells also the last few weeks - ever since they replaced the split oil sump. I'ld like to think that it is not related, but the garage it was in was not my choice but it is where it was towed when i cracked the sump. But the garage are a bunch of tossers.

I had a petrol smell coming from the outside when driving with open window. Strangely not when it was just idling.
Thus the smell came from somewhere in the front.

Anyways, i've found where the culprit is.

The (rubber) IN fuel line is suffering from "old age" and getting hard, brittle and loose where it meets the injector rail.

If you stand in front of the engine, look at the top left near the injection rail, you 'll find the fuellines (in/out). Wiggle them about a bit and see if they spit fuel (near the nipple).

If one of them does spit... get a set of new ones!

Although, you might get away with throwing away the lousy clamp/ring :bang: and replace it with a decent clamp/wormring (as i did for now).

Dont overtighten though, or sooner or later the tube will break or shear and then it might spit fuel onto a hot exhaust... which would make life very interesting for a very short wile. :cry:

Well I thought the smell was from the front but it's actually from the back. My fuel cap rubber seal was craked and thus leaking vapours. I could smell it only when the windoes \ hood down. Even driving at 60mph.

I found loose clips on the petrol tank. These held the fuel filler & vent hose to the tank. I replaced them with narrow worm drive clips (Jubilee clips were too wide). I could smell petrol fumes from the boot release lever.

Well I thought the smell was from the front but it's actually from the back. My fuel cap rubber seal was craked and thus leaking vapours. I could smell it only when the windoes \ hood down. Even driving at 60mph.

My fuel cap seal is cracked, do you have the part number for a new rubber seal? How much was it?

I can't find the seal anywhere, only new fuel caps. My cap locks with the ignition key so don't want to mess around with other keys. How much can you get one for?

I can't find the seal anywhere, only new fuel caps. My cap locks with the ignition key so don't want to mess around with other keys. How much can you get one for?

Buy a new petrol cap and take the seal off that one, trust me that is the cheapest way.

I can get one to you in the UK for £12 ish. BUt your better going to E-Bay.

If you live close to Swindon I would see you and try my seal to check it fits as mine is two weeks old.

Funny how the seal effects the smell! I was so worred after checking everything else 1st.

Hi

I was thinking that, I filled it right up on Friday and it smelt for a few days. Now it seams ok. Weird.

So do you experience the same?

Hello,

Did you checked at the engine where the gas pipe gets in the injectors "line" ? mine was kinda loose cause of the used metal collar and i was loosing gas all the time.

Gents,

Rather than start another thread on this, thought it might be best to tack my post on the end of one of the more popular ones certainly makes searches for others more simple.

This is the 4th year I've had my B now, it's a 95/96 with 85k kms. I'm lucky enough to live in the Alps although my car is currently back in the UK having some TLC. One of the things I've always wanted to get sorted was the fuel smell, and have read (I think) all the threads over the years.

Smell has been mainly in the cabin and especially the boot.

What I've done so far:
tank close.jpg

The hose with the red clip was loose, pushed it in until it made a click sound. My brother (the more mechanically minded of us) seemed quite sure that had solved it. But there is still a general smell of petrol.

Do we think this could have been the cause??

It worries me slightly the mould around the connectors (perhaps a leak?), and that there is still a smell (albeit with the cover off)

Also, I remember one thread someone saying they had changed the seals around the tank. Which I assume to mean these rubber seals on the cover that goes over the tank. Any ideas on where to get replacements?? tried shop4parts.com but they could only find the entire plastic section that goes where the hood is stowed.

cover.jpg

Thoughts and ideas of course much appreciated.

David

Gents,

Rather than start another thread on this, thought it might be best to tack my post on the end of one of the more popular ones certainly makes searches for others more simple.

This is the 4th year I've had my B now, it's a 95/96 with 85k kms. I'm lucky enough to live in the Alps although my car is currently back in the UK having some TLC. One of the things I've always wanted to get sorted was the fuel smell, and have read (I think) all the threads over the years.

Smell has been mainly in the cabin and especially the boot.

What I've done so far:
View attachment 134360

The hose with the red clip was loose, pushed it in until it made a click sound. My brother (the more mechanically minded of us) seemed quite sure that had solved it. But there is still a general smell of petrol.

Do we think this could have been the cause??

It worries me slightly the mould around the connectors (perhaps a leak?), and that there is still a smell (albeit with the cover off)

Also, I remember one thread someone saying they had changed the seals around the tank. Which I assume to mean these rubber seals on the cover that goes over the tank. Any ideas on where to get replacements?? tried shop4parts.com but they could only find the entire plastic section that goes where the hood is stowed.

View attachment 134363

Thoughts and ideas of course much appreciated.

David
Hi.

I bought my '97 Barchetta in fhe fall with a defect - a smell of petrol. In the early spring i have driven approx. 1000km and the smell wasnt healthy. So i decided to get rid of it.

2 weeks ago i rolled the seats up in front, took away the plate behind the seats so i could see the fuel tank.

The main fuel pipe into the tank had a loose clip. Removed it and replaced it with a jubilee clip and the smell is gone.

Took me and my friend 2 hours.

Sorry for the bad english (from Denmark)

/Frank

This thread revival has reminded me of yet another job that I've been meaning to do for the last 3 years, but never managed to get around to!

I only use my B with the hood down, so the petrol smell's never an issue inside the car (a neat "fix", that ;)) but if I leave any clothes in the boot overnight, they come out stinking of petrol.

Right, where's my tool kit...

Hi from Ontario,Canada. I just got my B on the road(import from Japan) It shows 21K which seems low for a '98 but it runs mint.I had just filled it with high test to take her for her first decent ride but the cabin gas smell was horrible so out came the seats and back panel.1 hour later I see and feel raw gas lying on top of the tank in the well around the fuel pump housing.Tomorrow the pump comes out and the best Permatex sealant will be used to solve the problem.I was happy to see everything looks to be in good shape, all hoses and clamps seem to be fine. However seals tend to dry out, especially when under used so I'm not supprised.I put silicone grease on the gas cap seal to keep it fresh. Let's hope the smell is gone.

Back