Technical Petrol problems HELPPPPP

Currently reading:
Technical Petrol problems HELPPPPP

Which petrol station are you filling up at? Super market petrol is cheap rubbish and so is Texaco murco etc

Try stick to BP, shell and esso

Me and my girlfriend only fill up at esso and always have good mpg and the fuel lasts longer, we once filled up at Texaco and the fuel lasted barely a week and took 2 new fill ups from esso to get it back to normal

The guage works like so for me

last friggin ages - stay at max for something around 50 to 100miles
Then it starts to move a little bit
Hit half way and the needle drops alot faster then it does at the start of the tank

I have a feeling the tank float is set lower in the tank = max for longer, bit more accurate lower down

However i can drive for a good 20ish miles on empty empty

stop putting in £20 - £30

Fill the car up properly, do a full tank to empty run and see what happens

But 35mpg in this weather is good tbh

Ziggy

Which petrol station are you filling up at? Super market petrol is cheap rubbish and so is Texaco murco etc
Try stick to BP, shell and esso
Me and my girlfriend only fill up at esso and always have good mpg and the fuel lasts longer, we once filled up at Texaco and the fuel lasted barely a week and took 2 new fill ups from esso to get it back to normal

Any chance of moving from the bold `talk-the-talk’ to something `evidence based’ mate?
We measure fuel in miles per litres/imp gals.
What’s a “fill-up” exactly? What’s “barely a week”? What’s “just over half way”?

I filled-up as usual (max. to 2nd click of pump nozzle) on Sat & paid for the litres on the pump.
I don’t recall any argument with the cashier about where the car fuel gauge needle was.

061126Z

I have no hard evidence as i didnt plan on posting it up on a forum

My girlfriend fills up every month for £40 (Ford KA 07) which lasts her the whole month and more (from esso). One day Esso was closed so she had to use Taxaco to fill up, again she filled up £40 worth to last the month, after just under a week of driving her full tank had gone down to just under half and after 2 weeks she had to fill up again at esso.

Even though she had filled up at esso the second time the fuel consumption was still shockingly bad because it was mixed in with the crap from texaco, finally once she had filled up again at esso the mpg and fuel consumption was back to normal

I also advised a friend to only use the 3 i mentioned and she also has noticed a vast improvment

And finally, my Girlfriends dad drives 10's of thousands of miles every year (BMW 6 series) for ages he had a BP/Shell/esso company credit card to fill up. The manager of the company changed this to supermaret petrol stations and murco, texaco etc even though he advised her not to

He now has to fill up more regularly using the cheap crap petrol then he had to use BP/Shell/esso

Now thats 4 people (including my self) who has changed and have noticed the difference, if thats not good enough for you go do it your self but remember you need to fill up twice with the good stuff before the benefits come apparent

You'd think, wouldn't you, that this might have been noticed by other members of the motoring public (or even the motoring press) and some objective research done?

In fact, some has. It seems to show that some premium brands of petrol do give better mileage, but that this is pretty much made up for by the higher initial costs.

For all that, all the petrol in the UK is made at a handful of refineries (who will each be doing stuff for a number of companies), by the same technicians, and mixed to similar recipes with similar additives.

However i can drive for a good 20ish miles on empty empty

The fuel gauge on my Punto Mk2 is pretty temperamental, and definitely highly non-linear. I wouldn't be surprised if the float sticks or something as sometimes it seems to drop quite a bit overnight (usually somewhere around the middle-to-bottom of the range, and no, I don't have a leak and I doubt my neighbour is siphoning off petrol in the night).

Is the orange reserve-light on the same float as the dial? When you say 20 miles on "empty-empty" do you mean on orange light, or once needle hits stop at the bottom?

Hi, through this forum I learnt and confirm that improper engine cooling cause the mpg to go down around 35mpg. Check coolant or replace and bleed radiator coolant.

Back