Technical Petrol problems HELPPPPP

Currently reading:
Technical Petrol problems HELPPPPP

corky

Mk2 Punto Sporting 1.2
Right something definitely wrong here with the sporting I put £30 petrol in on Thursday night went JUST over half way.... NOW I reset the counter I've done 40 miles been driving sensible and it's used half of it already!! My old Punto I was getting 40 miles Ishhh for £5 need help guys! ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1391282637.902039.jpgImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1391282679.134501.jpg

Problem is that gauges are quite incredibly inaccurate: generally they're correct(ish) when empty and full -- everything else is at best a guess.

Best way is to fill the tank. Reset trip, drive 50 miles or so, refill, note down the quantity (rather than the cost) of petrol used, calculate mpg or mpl.

Assuming that the EML isn't on, most likely causes of high consumption are fuel leak, binding brakes, missing or stuck open thermostat, etc.

32.4 mpg :(

you must be driving it hard..or there is something wrong with it,

ibung 20 quid in mine it last two weeks, average around 40-41.4 mpg round town. altho iuse 6th where ican,
motorway use ican get agood 50-60s

is exhaust blowing or running lumpy ?
summat aint right there. is there enough wind in the tyres?

... I've done 40 miles been driving sensible and it's used half of it ...

Looking at av.mpg in isolation won’t tell you much.
Check all your black-box readings & think outside the box.
40 miles … travel time? 4 trips of 10 miles ?? 8 trips of 5 miles??
Outside temp has been good for snow.
Winds speeds now are 30 knots – gusting to 40.
& your temp gauge is too low for optimum mpg.

012046Z

Haha yeah it's only banter thanks guys I know just seems weird I will have a full check tomorrow on the exhaust, spark plugs tyres etc as I'm driving it sensible just to see if there was a problem

Mine has dropped down abit,

37-38 mpg yesterday.. must be this frosty weather, :(

wont be long off summer mate, mpg will pick up then for sure, (y)

have you checked the wind in the tyres,,are they good?

I average 35-37 MPG off the reading shown by the dash and that's with a mix of motorway miles and stop start city driving. I also can't resist to put my foot down in 2nd occasionally :D. My thermostat needs changing though for defo.

Haha loves a bit of the second gear, ermm pumped them up to 31 psi I haven't had time due to working 24/7 I think it's the exhaust and spark plugs il try the exhaust tonight the back box has rust on the bottom... Eeeeee il have a look when I get home

When I get back from Egypt I'm going to clean the throttle body, spark plug change, inspect the exhaust and get the oil changed, fuel treatment...

Back