Well I wouldn't call this a massive difference:
1.2 69hp
0-60 13 seconds
top speed 101 mph.

1.2 60hp
0-60 13.6 seconds
top speed
96 mph.

0.6 seconds to 60, I would consider that hardly noticable, what would you plan to do it that 0.6 seconds?
5 mph more which is at speeds way above our the legal limit, so would anyone really notice?

MPG is subjective and to quote "offical figures" would be laughable.
I've no doubt we could all get both engines in the low teens without too much trouble.

FFS :bang:

MPG difference is significant in 2500 miles in both - 500 was always 50MPG+ regardless of how driven, and Panda about 42-44 being driven economically, and this I put down to the engine, not the car.

If being picky the Panda is a Dualogic also and 500 was manual, but book figures for DL's is always better for economy normally anyway.

Its only an opinion from personal experience.

That still leaves the question however, is it worthwhile to stretch myself financially to get one of these 69bhp 1.2 engines?

I just can't find enough good quality info to make an informed decision. I suppose some road-testing is in order.
Dave

Based on what information is available and what owners report regarding mpg.

The 1.2 60 hp is a massive 0.6 of a second slower to 60mph than the 1.2 69hp

Top speed between the two is that the 1.2 69hp is 6 mph faster at 101mph.

The difference in fuel cost per mile between the the two a massive 2.2 pence per mile based on todays average fuel price.(£5.85 a uk gallon) and owners reports.
(based on 8 mpg difference, 11.7ppm for the 69hp and 13.9ppm for the 60hp)

RFL on like for like Dymanic models are
1.2 60hp £125
1.2 69hp £30

Disregarding RFL, if a 69hp model was, for example £1000 more expensive than a 60hp, you'd need to divide the £1000 by 2.2p to see what mileage you'd need to do to make back £1000 over the other model based on mpg alone, which is around 45450 miles.

This is based on todays fuel price, it could go up or it could, like recently fall, both will alter the figures.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Goudrons, excellent work.

The overall impression I'm left with is that for a non-charging driver, the differences in drivability & fuel consumption will be very small.

The insurance aspect is interesting though, a 69bhp car is cheaper than a 60bhp car for Comp insurance premiums??????

Dave

Thanks for that Goudrons, excellent work.

The overall impression I'm left with is that for a non-charging driver, the differences in drivability & fuel consumption will be very small.

The insurance aspect is interesting though, a 69bhp car is cheaper than a 60bhp car for Comp insurance premiums??????

Dave

You didn't say what the dream Panda is. After the 100hp the Eleganza is the best stacked..........but it'll have £125 a year tax.

I've been pondering the later Dynamic with alloys/bars as it has £30 tax. Many folks would probably think that way.

But you're pootling around the lanes near Limoges. Don't the frogs offer any lower tax levels?

I don't know about anywhere else, but in the UK new cars tend to be cheaper on insurance, just price one up on a comparison site and compare.

Also, Fiat dealers are offering some fairly good deals on new cars.
The PCP deal my Mrs got has a interest charge of £1.39 for the whole length of the contract and is just other £100 a month.
I got a £1750 Fiat contribution due to working for the NHS.

Last edited:
You didn't say what the dream Panda is. After the 100hp the Eleganza is the best stacked..........but it'll have £125 a year tax.

I've been pondering the later Dynamic with alloys/bars as it has £30 tax. Many folks would probably think that way.

But you're pootling around the lanes near Limoges. Don't the frogs offer any lower tax levels?

My dream Panda is the newest, lowest mileage 1.2 I can find. The one I've been seduced by, is a 2010 69bhp My Life with about 60,000kms on it (lecky windows, central locking, manual aircon, cd radio) and I can buy it for 2500€, which is currently about £2000. Anything better spec'd than that would be just icing on the cake.

I'm tired of working on old cars.

BTW NO road tax at all in France!!!!!

Dave

I'm not entirely sure about that, though I confess to not knowing how well specced the Eleganza was.

All I can say is that my 2011 MyLife Dynamic seems to be very well specced in comparison to most. Standard items included:

Front foglights
Electric, heated mirrors
Manual Aircon
Power (cigarette) socket
Body coloured bumpers, door handles & mirrors
Roof rails
14" Alloys
Height adjustable steering wheel
Height adjustable drivers seat
1.2 69bhp engine

We pay our road tax in the cost of fuel, so can't comment on that side. Insurance is low here as well ;)

I'm not entirely sure about that, though I confess to not knowing how well specced the Eleganza was.

All I can say is that my 2011 MyLife Dynamic seems to be very well specced in comparison to most. Standard items included:

Front foglights
Electric, heated mirrors
Manual Aircon
Power (cigarette) socket
Body coloured bumpers, door handles & mirrors
Roof rails
14" Alloys
Height adjustable steering wheel
Height adjustable drivers seat
1.2 69bhp engine

We pay our road tax in the cost of fuel, so can't comment on that side. Insurance is low here as well ;)

The Eleganza aces it slightly by having climate control and the multifunction display (i.e. outside temperature).

Given the choice here, I'd go late Dynamic - climate isn't worth an extra £95 a year

The manual air -con is much better than the silly buttons etc on the 'climate control' :D

Only Chav's have climate control.. :rolleyes: :p

(y)

The climate works excellent and looks far better. Though there's always that slight doubt in your head when you hear the motors moving the vents.............when will it break?.......

I'm not sure how the chav definition has changed since you left the UK, but I doubt any chav ever owned a Panda. Apart from a few that have ruined some 100hps - I guess they could have been seduced by the digital read-out on the climate control.

I thought the reason why the Eleganza missed the cheap tax was a combination of wider tyres, with the alloy wheels, and that the climate control kept the aircon running all the time.

Basically I think that's about it.

I'd expect all official fuel economy testing is done with the A/C switched off completely, whatever the variant.

I can't see any difference between my 60HP EcoPanda & 69HP 500 when driven for best economy; personally I wouldn't give a tinker's toss about getting a 69HP over one of the late 60HP Eco Pandas, but I would pay a premium to get one of the £30 RFL cars.

The difference in long term economy between our two cars is down to the different way they are used; on comparable trips, there's nothing to choose between them.

AFAIK the chaps who are reporting significant differences in economy with 60HP 1.2's all have pre-£30RFL cars. Personally I have no experience with these earlier models, but they seem to be the ones most folks who are reporting poor economy have.

Last edited:
Does that make my dad's A8, which has four zone climate control, the ultimate chavmobile then haha :p?

Absolutely !! :D

or, perhaps ? - a drug dealer. .... ? :eek:

and as said before, a 'Chav', does not admit to being one, so yes, the 'climate control' qualifies .. (y) -

;)

Last edited:
Back