General Panda Multijet 100MPG Not BHP !!!

Currently reading:
General Panda Multijet 100MPG Not BHP !!!

ytareh

Established member
All figures as indicated by trip computer which by my reckoning is about 11-14% generous .

My daily commute is approx 38 miles to work ( including just a few miles on motorway ) and 44miles home ( with about 20 on motorway ) .It generally takes about an hour each way ( maybe a bit less homeward) .
Yesterday I saw 100mpg on the average consumption clock at the one hour /35 mile point in morning and two hour / 79 mile point in evening .My final figures after a trip to refuel and having reversed car into drive were 97.4mpg -81.4 mikes at 37 mph in 2 hours 11min .
I received plenty of assistance from lorries on motorway on way home .(Never went below 50mph) There's also a few hills on my route .
I had loosened up the turbo actuator a bit the previous night .I was the only occupant and fuel tank was fairly low .Standard alloys and tyres .
My previous 'best ' was maybe 93mpg .I think the main difference was NOT accelerating flat out every 15/20 minutes for 10-20 seconds to reduce coking up and just giving it one quick blast before journey's end .Even after ten minutes of very light throttle pressure you will get a lot of black smoke out exhaust when flooring it .I can't imagine this does any good on daily basis if it builds up so could be penny wise and pound foolish .
I'd say 110mpg would be attainable if making a really conscious effort but you'd probably be holding up traffic .
And if you were willing to keep around 30mph ish you might even get it 'off the scale ' at 141.2mpg but I think life's too short for that .
I think maybe the pre 2007/8 non DPF MJ will be a bit lighter on fuel but possibly slower.
What's YOUR 'record'?

All figures as indicated by trip computer which by my reckoning is about 11-14% generous .

My daily commute is approx 38 miles to work ( including just a few miles on motorway ) and 44miles home ( with about 20 on motorway ) .It generally takes about an hour each way ( maybe a bit less homeward) .
Yesterday I saw 100mpg on the average consumption clock at the one hour /35 mile point in morning and two hour / 79 mile point in evening .My final figures after a trip to refuel and having reversed car into drive were 97.4mpg -81.4 mikes at 37 mph in 2 hours 11min .
I received plenty of assistance from lorries on motorway on way home .(Never went below 50mph) There's also a few hills on my route .
I had loosened up the turbo actuator a bit the previous night .I was the only occupant and fuel tank was fairly low .Standard alloys and tyres .
My previous 'best ' was maybe 93mpg .I think the main difference was NOT accelerating flat out every 15/20 minutes for 10-20 seconds to reduce coking up and just giving it one quick blast before journey's end .Even after ten minutes of very light throttle pressure you will get a lot of black smoke out exhaust when flooring it .I can't imagine this does any good on daily basis if it builds up so could be penny wise and pound foolish .
I'd say 110mpg would be attainable if making a really conscious effort but you'd probably be holding up traffic .
And if you were willing to keep around 30mph ish you might even get it 'off the scale ' at 141.2mpg but I think life's too short for that .
I think maybe the pre 2007/8 non DPF MJ will be a bit lighter on fuel but possibly slower.
What's YOUR 'record'?

Have you actually measured the fuel economy at the petrol pump?

I think I may have done a tankful at around 86/88 mpg indicated and 76mpg actual .My phone notes says I did a run at 65.5mpg indicated and 61.8 actual so discrepancy mightn't be as high as I thought .Then again brimming a tank of diesel properly could take five minutes with 'foaming' .
Anyway I'm doing a brim to brim this week .I do over 400 miles a week and can easily get into second week .Time of year has influence too.Better in Summer ?

That's about what I maxed out my old 100HP at too.And the sad thing is you could drive it like a nun on sedatives and wouldn't get any better but press the drive by wire / electronic throttle even a smidge and you're down into 30s .I rarely got down as far as MID 30s but more due to long journeys /restraint .Also while it was a super handler in certain circumstances it never inspired confidence at high motorway speeds .In fact my MJ feels as fast heading for three figure speeds .

A quick check on calculator suggests a 100hp would cost me perhaps close to twice as much on fuel using 40mpg and 75mpg for sums .( Diesel is about €1.45 vs €1.55 for petrol here in Rep of Ireland )

Last edited:
:yeahthat:

I doubt on brim to brim you'll match the 80+mpg I'm getting from my car :devil:

True. (y)

Looks like I'm only going to get about 50mpg from my "new" mk3 Jon, probably less when offroading. I doubt you'll match my depreciation/appreciation curve though - want to compare notes on overall running costs in a couple of years? :devil:

Impressive ! never seen 100mpg on the trip meter but been up to 90mpg at times.

My commute is 28 miles each way, and these engines take at least 5 miles to warm up so long slow journeys are what you need for good mpg. No short journeys from cold, walk or cycle! A good tailwind also helps and don't brake. 93,000 miles and I'm still on the original brakes.

As you say the time of year makes a difference, summer with no lights and warmer temperatures means less warming up and less air resistance!
My personal belief is that in very hot weather with the air con on I get more mpg than in the winter. My fuelly graph shows the seasonal variation.

Please don't put your details on fuelly, I've got the highest mpg up to now. It's long term averages that count !

Yes they'd latke AGES to warm up.No air con on my 2005 Dynamic .I got mine (used) without roof bars .Might help a little .I would STRONGLY discourage going over stock 32psi on front tyres( or even 28 rear)after aqua planing on a flooded bend .(Quite a heavy front shunt into bank of mud with amazingly little distress to car or me . New front bumper and rad about the height of it .Pandas are tough.Apparently though small diesels front rear balance is especially bad and they aquaplane from the back! Even on bad main road surface water they feel uncertain ( with plenty of meat on tyres) in a straight line .Throw in the slightest bend and you could be in big trouble .Quite progressive and safe in the dry though , no nasty shocks /snaps .

The diesel does seem heavy on front shocks and bushings though .Mine is on at least it's third set .I had a 1.1 loan car when 100hp was having alloy sump ( which bust hitting just a grapefruit sized rock on road -low!) repaired and it may be the best balance between economy and drive ability .The 1.1 felt fastest round roundabouts but I'd say on a medium speed sweeping bend little would beat a 100hp .

Last edited:
Can't say I'd believe the car computer. I'd have to do a proper calculation on fuel used!

Can't say I'd believe the car computer. I'd have to do a proper calculation on fuel used!

I think they're more or less a fair guide if you subtract a tenth . However I have seen mine 'freeze' at up realistically high or low values for 20-30 seconds .I think the lowest she does at full throttle (in first or second) is about 11.5-12.9mpg .Probably a fair gauge of how healthy your turbo / air pipes etc are .If it doesn't go below 20 I'd def check it out for leaks or lazy turbo .( Both easily fixed)

The 1.1 felt fastest round roundabouts but I'd say on a medium speed sweeping bend little would beat a 100hp .
The 1.1 may well feel quickest, but no doubt the 100HP is ultimately faster. The extra grip from the wider, better quality tyres (assuming you have OEM spec or equivalent fitted) will see to that.

I would like to have a play in a 1.1 though, thrashing it everywhere would be amusing (as long as I didn't have to pay the maintenance and fuel bills :p).

That's why you ALWAYS put the best tyres on the rear

I change mine from front to rear regularly for more even wear. I prefer to change all four tyres at once, rather than have one axle on older tyres than the other. I've found that the Michelin Energy tyres I have fitted this time are wearing very well in comparison to the Continentals I had previously been using. I'm so impressed with them that I'm going to try Michelin Alpins this time for winters instead of the Continental WinterContacts I normally get.

I would like to have a play in a 1.1 though, thrashing it everywhere would be amusing (as long as I didn't have to pay the maintenance and fuel bills :p).

TBH will probably still be lower than the 100hp. This is what I like about the 1.1, still as much, if not more fun, than the 100hp, but will lesser risk of being done for speeding :p

It's only those that have ever driven a 1.1 entheusiastically who will understand this.

Still prefer the 2004 1.1 Active sister had over dads 2009 Eleganza :( :eek:

TBH will probably still be lower than the 100hp. This is what I like about the 1.1, still as much, if not more fun, than the 100hp, but will lesser risk of being done for speeding :p

It's only those that have ever driven a 1.1 entheusiastically who will understand this.

Still prefer the 2004 1.1 Active sister had over dads 2009 Eleganza :( :eek:

Meh! 1.2 69 bhp vvti 4 LIFE

1d0ea20a-5e49-4f59-b267-e17796ce4247.jpg

Think that was my old Panda, regardless of what the trip computer says though a brim to brim tankful averages 44-46.

I've only ever driven one 1.1, a low mileage 2010 plate if I remember right but it was SLOW. The accelerator was an on-off switch of deceleration or glacial speed increase regardless of how hard you pressed it. A shame, as I liked the car it was in but couldn't buy for that reason.

Back