General Fiat Panda passenger doors not closing

Currently reading:
General Fiat Panda passenger doors not closing

tjordan

Hello, I'm having trouble with the passenger doors on my 06 Fiat Panda. They only shut if you push the handle from the outside, otherwise they just bounce back open.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Lots of WD 40.
My advice would be remove and inspect. Clean the hell out of them. Consider just replacing them. Possibly much cheaper in mid / long term. There are far too many Pand rear doors sticking closed and locked.
Door locks like maintenance but almost never get any! Out of sight... out of mind

Last edited:
Check the doors haven't dropped on their hinges. With the door open, and holding the door edge in both hands, try to lift the door up & down. If there is any appreciable movement, the hinges are worn.

Another sure sign of worn hinges is a door rattling when you go over a bump in the road.

You might be able to sort this by adjusting the striker plate, but make sure you also lubricate the hinges to stop it getting any worse.

Also make sure the mechanism inside the door catch is free to move.

Door locks like maintenance but almost never get any! Out of sight... out of mind

Lubricating the door hinges and catch mechanisms should be done as part of the annual service.

Last edited:
Yes got remote locking. The issue is affecting both rear passenger door locks
To rule out the previous suggestions easily..

Open the back door, use a rod or stick to move the actual lock mechanism

Does it latch shut?
(Try the front doors for reference)

If the fronts latch and the rears don't..

I would suspect an electrical driver problem rather than BOTH lock failing together

WINDY OUT THERE TONIGHT..!

Let us know when you have had time to investigate

Is this not just the 169 Panda sticky door handle problem?
Nearly every Panda I see has at least one, caused by lack of use.
Lubrication helps, but usually only for a while. I use GT85 with PTFE and it seems to last for a few months, but not yet found a permanent cure except replacing the outer door handle.
(And the quality of the aftermarket ones is not great...)

They only shut if you push the handle from the outside,
Pushing the handle shouldn't make any difference, unless the handle sticking

At least 4 people have had the same problem here

Personly wd40 wouldn't be my preferred solution its just wax desolved in a solvent. Often reoccurs once the solvent dries off.

I have had one fail several years ago. I can't remember what I used. I normally have isopropyl, meths, wd40 and engine,oil knocking around. I tend to thin engine oil with meths in all honesty I can't be 100%

Last edited:
Pushing the handle shouldn't make any difference, unless the handle sticking

At least 4 people have had the same problem here

Personly wd40 wouldn't be my preferred solution its just wax desolved in a solvent. Often reoccurs once the solvent dries off.

I have had one fail several years ago. I can't remember what I used. I normally have isopropyl, meths, wd40 and engine,oil knocking around. I tend to thin engine oil with meths in all honesty I can't be 100%
I think it is the handle sticking. The lock itself is fine, but for some reason, the handles stay up in the passenger doors so I have to flip them down for the doors to shut.

Attachments

• IMG_9566.jpg
    IMG_9566.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
I think it is the handle sticking. The lock itself is fine, but for some reason, the handles stay up in the passenger doors so I have to flip them down for the doors to shut.
Yep spray some solvent and dribble some thin oil and you should be good to go

I guess they get gummed up with wax and road dirt

The rear hatch also gets effected

Back