General Newbie - Advice on joining the Fiat 500 club

Currently reading:
General Newbie - Advice on joining the Fiat 500 club

Uglydude

Hello everyone,

I'm based in the UK and I'm hoping to get my first Fiat 500 (actually my first Fiat ever).

Really hope to get some advice from fellow members on what the best things to go for.

I have came down to 2 options and have no idea what would be to best way to go forward (least problematic car).

Option 1:-
Lounge
2012 (Reg 62)
8700 miles
£4300

Option 2:-
Lounge
2016 (Reg 66)
25000 miles
£6000

I understand that from 2015 Fiat 500 had a facelift, but I was wondering if Fiat change anything major underneath and if the Fiat is more reliable before or after the 2015 (facelift).

Sorry if any of these are stupid questions and any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for your advice.

When doing test drive is there anything specific I should look out for that would give indication of common faults?

Also any question to ask the car dealer about the car (again common fault)?

Many thanks in advance again.

The 1.2 engine has a thermostat that can leak. The original thermostat is a metal housing with a plastic pipe. The pipe breaks and you lose coolant. It's a fairly easy and cheap replacement, luckily. A couple of months after buying my 2012 1.2, I noticed a coolant leak and, thankfully, caught it in time. Most replacement thermostats are all metal.

They are generally tough, reliable little cars, not too complicated and fairly simple to fix. They do like regular servicing, though, whichever one you go for.

DONT buy a automatic.
Test drive check for noises over bumps from the front gear change should be slick and easy check you can open the boot lid from the handle(not the fob) check a.c. works and temperature control(there is a issue on climate control cars where you loose temp control and is a big problem)
Take a friend if you've not bought many cars who knows what to look out for?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum.

First, you need to decide your priorities; looks, performance, reliablility, low running cost etc. No car will score top marks in all these categories.

Secondhand 500's command a significant price premium because they are seen as fashionable cars. If you don't need or want this, and like the drive of the 500, you'd do better to buy a Panda instead; they're mechanically near identical and you'll get a newer, and likely better, car for the money.

The cars are generally reliable, with the exception of the automatics, which are best avoided unless buying new and trading in before the warranty runs out.

Engine choice is important; the difference in the way the various options drive is considerable. Test drive the actual car you're considering purchasing before committing; some have made expensive mistakes by not doing this. The 1.2 will give you the lowest running cost, irrespective of mileage, that engine is bombproof unless run low on coolant. The diesel and TA both have significantly greater performance; whilst neither is objectively unsound, between them they do account for almost all of the engine related problems reported here, so perhaps a slightly greater risk if you choose one of these.

Electronics glitches are not unknown, and can be frustrating to troubleshoot; if during the test drive any light either comes on when it shouldn't, or stays off when it should be lit, walk away from the car.

Suspension parts wear quickly, but are generally cheap and straightforward to replace.

Finally, with any secondhand car, unless you know exactly what to look for, I'd recommend paying for an independent engineer's report before committing to the purchase. You don't want to be spending a lot of hard earned cash to inherit someone else's problems. Whilst they're thankfully rare, there have been a few ghastly stories here regarding newly purchased secondhand 500's which quickly proved to be a shedload of trouble.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, hope you had a good weekend.

Many thanks for everyone advice, really good information to look out for.

In regarding to consideration the Fiat 500, it is actually my Significant Other (SO) that really want the Fiat 500 (if I were to go with my logical head I would of go with the Kia Picanto with the 7 years warranty). But have to admit that the 500 is a good looking car.

As adviced I'll staying clear from Automatic.

I'm aiming to book a test drive on Friday. I will take a friend (who know a bit about car) to the test drive to get extra eyes and ears.

Just a bit unsure with this car dealer only offering 1 month warranty, they also trying to sell the RAC warranty. I read up about RAC warranty and they sound like a nightmare.

Again many thanks for these great advice, really appreciated. ?

Hello everyone, hope you had a good weekend.

Many thanks for everyone advice, really good information to look out for.

In regarding to consideration the Fiat 500, it is actually my Significant Other (SO) that really want the Fiat 500 (if I were to go with my logical head I would of go with the Kia Picanto with the 7 years warranty). But have to admit that the 500 is a good looking car.

As adviced I'll staying clear from Automatic.

I'm aiming to book a test drive on Friday. I will take a friend (who know a bit about car) to the test drive to get extra eyes and ears.

Just a bit unsure with this car dealer only offering 1 month warranty, they also trying to sell the RAC warranty. I read up about RAC warranty and they sound like a nightmare.

Again many thanks for these great advice, really appreciated. [emoji106]

I agree with RAC warranty ? personally I am one of the dreaded stories after what happened to me I would really recommend your friend giving the car a once over under the bonnet! And maybe even having a look under the car if possible!!

I wouldn’t want anyone else to go through what I did! (Air in system loss of coolant and head gasket going) all with in 3months of buying secondhand 500)

Listen for water sound behind dash when starting up!! (Air in system) keep radio off when starting up! & listen!

Also take a usb cable for your phone and try out the blue & me if available test steering controls too if poss! It’s something that can be overlooked!

100% check aircon check giving heat/cold as it should!

Honestly.... I could write a long ass checklist with what I have learned after getting robbed off buying my 500 ??

Good luck with your search,we've had two in the household and they have both been very little trouble.
All good advice above. It may be worth trying a twinair engined version to see if you like it. The performance is much stronger than the 1.2, but the engine characteristics are different, and it's essential that the correct maintenance schedule and oil have been used. No cambelt change required though, this will need doing every 5 years with the 1.2.

Regarding the "one month warranty", a trader is legally responsible for any fault that was present or could have been developing when the car was sold, for 6 months after the purchase. Lots of information on buying used on the Honest John website.

Re: Newbie - Advice on joining the Fiat 500 club - I got one

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all well and looking forward to the weekend.

Quote from a young Luke Skywalker to Han Solo "I got on!" :) and the mrs is happy too.

Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge (Yellow) 2013 - Would love to go for newer model, but budget only stretch that far.

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to pinpoint the answer (after look through the manual and online). Hope to seek the wisdom from the community again.

1) Display MPH and MPG - My Speedometer, is there anyway to me to get the information for MPH and MPG in the digital display part (please see attachment)?

2) Music through Car Speaker - I have connect the phone through Bluetooth to the car, but can't seem to play music from my phone through the car?speak, is this possible?

3) Seats Cover - Also I'm looking to get some new seat cover made does anyone know of anywhere that make custom Fiat 500 seats cover?

4) Paint Code - Does anyone know where I can find the car colour code, was told that there is a sign about it somewhere on the car, just wasn't sure where.

Again many thanks in advance for any advice you can give. :)

Attachments

• 20200206_183248.jpg
    20200206_183248.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • 20200206_183254.jpg
    20200206_183254.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
Glad you got a car, hope it works out well.
As far as I know, the speed cannot be displayed digitally with the standard display in your pictures. Some on here have retrofitted the later optional TFT instruments, which may give that feature, no doubt someone will chip in.
The standard display will show instantaneous mpg and two resettable averages from the A and B trips. These come up when you cycle through the trip funtions with the button on the right hand stalk. Be aware that, as on most cars, these will over-read, there was a 2% error on mine.
I never tried to play music from my phone, I had the MP3 files on a USB stick plugged into the socket. Don't know if connecting the phone via a cable would help.
Are the seats filthy beyond valeting, or do you just fancy a change? They crop up on Ebay etc.
Hope this helps.

Hi John and Trev,

Many thanks for getting back to me with your advice:)

1) Speedometer - I was just curious and didn't know what option is avaliable, I saw this online and thought maybe I didn't find the option in the menu somewhere. From your replies, I now understand that my version doesn't have it, which is fine, don't really need it, at least I know I didn't overlooked the menu. :)(y)

2) Again, I just wasn't sure what is possible, saw that it did the phone call over bluetooth into the car speak, so just assume music will be the same. No problem, might give the Headphone jack cable a try, I saw it next to the USB. Again many thanks for clearing that up.

3) The car and seat were valeted, and is in good condition for it age. However I just through it would be nice for the Mrs to install some nice new seat cover, just looking at cover really, seat replacement would be too much for us.

I saw someone on eBay does some really nice one (from Italy, just thought maybe someone in the UK might does it too). I will continue my search and updated (if anyone is interested).

4) Yah, I got it, following your advice.

Great advice, many thanks again. :):)(y)

Just a word of caution over seat covers - the front seats have side airbags, and if you pull seat covers over them they won't deploy properly in an accident and could cause injury.

Hi TrevC,

Many thanks for the advice, it is very important to know. Safety always come first.

The one I'm looking at would be taylor make for the Fiat 500 with the opening for the chair's airbags. However I can't order it yet, have to do some saving first :D.

I will post some photos whenever it is done.

Hi folks, I recently bought a 65 plate 1.2, well pleased with it.. was a one owner ladies care, I`ve changed the clutch. Before Winter came, I had it soaked in under seal, everywhere. I make it a habit of changing the engine oil and filter often, 3 times a year even though the car never does more than 3k miles a year. Never go through a car wash, it`ll ruin the paint. Great car.

Oil ..and filter ..every 1k

Thats a good case for 'going electric'

My twinairs get a change every 6k.. that seems about right with my use (weeks of inactivity..then a 110 mile trip - hence choosing a camchain)

Do you do hundreds of really short journeys?

Changing the oil filter too often actually gives less protection. Only reason to change it that often is if doing lots of very short journeys, where the engine never gets hot.

A new filter allows more through than one after a few thousand miles, as any collected contaminants help the filtering. Then of course as it ages, filtering reduces. If oil cannot pass easily, the internal by-pass valve opens. Filters are specified to give their best for the service interval recommended.

Changing the oil too often also raises questions about possible resource and environmental issues.

Back