New UK MOT rules December 2011

Currently reading:
New UK MOT rules December 2011

Some **** in a 61 plate Range Rover Sport blinded the f##@ out of me with factory fitted ones.

I had it with a newish Merc estate tonight, although in fairness it's the only car with factory fit HIDs fitted that has ever dazzled me, all others have been aftermarket jobs in reflector units :mad:

I've been blinded a few times by on coming cars with factory fitted HID's but it's not been the fault of the driver.
If they're driving up an incline and I'm coming the other way approaching the top of the incline the HIDs don't seem to have enough travel(adjustment) in the self leveling so I get dazzled.
Happens to me regularly on a hill near where I live. :(

Last edited:
With regard to the tinted windows being a fail ... Is that for the front ones or all round?

Thanks
Craig

fronts are a fail if too dark legal limit is 30% tint so it has to allow 70% of light through. bear in mind a lot of windows now have a 15 or 20% tint from factory. tinting windscreen is a :nono: rear sides and rear you can have 100% tint if you so desired. panel vans you cant see out of the rear and its no different on a car

legally speaking you only have to have 1 rear view mirror too

I have my back 3 done already as dark as they can legally go, but I am a bit worried I may have to peel them off if they start making it an MOT fail this year? :O ... I just saw on here saying they are going to be failing for tints, nothing was said about it being fronts or rears :)

Craig

Im always getting blinded by range rovers and audi's etc with the factory HIDs, even on straight flat roads. So not sure whats going on there

Blinded as in dazzled, or just more aware of them? I do know there is one pe of newish Audi (last 18months) that seem to have brightish HIDs but they defiantly don't dazzle.

The issue is caused by the colour, and the UV spectrum it produces, the bluer it is, the worse the UV pollution, even from some factory fit units, I've noticed one or two aftermarket HID kits in reflectors that have more of a whitish light, and although still naughty and slightly dazzling, they're nowhere near as bad as the scatter from the bluer units.

I'm sure they have the ability to adjust them from in the cab, maybe they've been messing, left them set too high?

Nah they can't be adjusted internally if auto, only thing that can be done under the bonnet is transfered from RHD to LHD beam pattern for continental use.

legally speaking you only have to have 1 rear view mirror too

In what sense? A missing or s,ashed drivers door mirror is a 3 point £60 offence, but the others don't have to be in place if that's what you mean?

What I would most like to see is an offence to not have a bright orange/yellow light come on with fogs or spots & for this to be a part of the MOT - and all fogs to have the ability to be switched on ONLY with dipped / main beam.
I would also like to 'see' the police being more proactive when they are sitting there with their speed camera/ANPR vans, picking out all the idiots with fogs on when not needed, pulling them in & issuing on the spot fines.
It'd also be nice to have more police out & about pulling these idiots who drive everywhere with just one dipped beam or one dipped and one directing aircraft. Go abroad and the police can and will make you replace a dud bulb at the roadside.
How on earth can people drive around with lights out or shining all over the place?

(sorry about the rant, seemed like every other car on the road tonight :mad:)

heh best keep off the roads till i fix my headlights. my passenger one points up to the sky.. thankfully away from the cars in front rear view mirror.(it passed last years MOT like this before i bought the car) heh if i could afford new headlights i'd get them but all my panda project fund is going to next years insurance and im still £300 short!.

i am actually thinking of keeping the car off the road. the only reason why i got it was the hope of it getting me a job. total fail.
you know you dont use your car a lot when £10 of fuel can last you the whole month LoL
i really dont know how people can still afford to run larger cars than mine, go out drinking with mates and smoke.. on job seekers.. damn wish i knew.

heh its not off the road lol if i need to go out in it i will. just trying not to go out at night. atm i have a zip tie holding it down, its good until the heat from the bulb melts through it. i need to get it sorted as both reflectors are starting to go rusty. one more so than the other. a guy down the street had a side impact on his sporting and was going to scrap it, i asked him if i could have the headlights off it and he wanted £70 for them both.. i was like.. hahahaha.. yeah like thats going to happen. i wouldnt mind but the local scrapers pay out the same for a car thats had all the goodies stripped off it. and when it goes into the local scrappers the same headlights will only cost me £40. some one beat me too them though. story of my life.

i think though other than the lights it should pass. i know the emissions last year were just under the limit. dono what they will be like this year. and i dont really know what the average emissions for the 899cc engine is. ill worry about it if it fails on it.. lol

FYI (straight outta the daily mirror)

02022012105[1].jpg

people who were thinking that they can rewire warning lights that don't go off to warning lights that do may come unstuck. there is a chart on the wall of mot test centre saying how many seconds each light has to stay on for, some cars its all the same but others each light has a different time on it

Back