New UK MOT rules December 2011

Currently reading:
New UK MOT rules December 2011

A lot of these come up with older cars like our 126 the cat converter thing for one, the air bags and many others same with our classic panda no airbags. I don't even know if these can be fitted. All i know is that if it wasn't part of the safety standard at the time of production then you can't be failed on the MOT for it. Suppose if you buy an older car you should already be aware of the lack of modern safety gadgets. We had a very in depth conversation about in the classic panda section when i bought my panda

Cat Converter I can understand, they're standard on all cars now (I think), and there is a selfless reason to them, reducing pollution. But airbags only affect the driver & passengers.

Cat Converter I can understand, they're standard on all cars now (I think), and there is a selfless reason to them, reducing pollution. But airbags only affect the driver & passengers.

A passenger who may not know your airbag is not working.... **Cough*** Taxi Drivers**Cough***

I'm all for nearly all of the new rules tbh, Can't maintain your car don't drive... Simples. That's not aimed at you btw your car would easily pass an MOT for years being a GP :).

Last edited:
A passenger who may not know your airbag is not working.... **Cough*** Taxi Drivers**Cough***

I'm all for nearly all of the new rules tbh, Can't maintain your car don't drive... Simples. That's not aimed at you btw your car would easily pass an MOT for years being a GP :).

Yes I know it's not directed towards me :p If a passenger really cares it should be up to them to ask if you have working airbags, just as it is up to them to put on their own seatbelt when they get in a car.

and there is a selfless reason to them, reducing pollution.

:rolleyes: oh if only that we're true!
Originally cats were introduced not only as a family friendly pet but because the fuel companies were fed up with the refinement costs involved in making petrol but they knew if they reduced the level to which they refined the fuel they would increase the pollution and smog that was clogging up our skies in the late 80s so they put the pressure on governments to legislate the use of catalytic convertors on newly built vehicles so they could produce cheaper fuel, it was a similar thing with unleaded fuel. Adding lead to fuel was quite expensive so the 'lead in the atmosphere was a handy argument to get car makers to drop the need for lead used to reduce pinking and refine their engines to run better on crapper fuel
There was a whole PHD thesis doing the rounds on the Internet a few years back interesting read but about length of war and peace

turn your headlights on to help drain any left over charge in the electrical systems of the car.

... h/lights are ECU ran on stilos... so it wouldnt have the desired effect.

when repairing SRS Systems its a standard code of practice to leave for half an hour to let voltage etc dissipate from the electrical system.

so even if i decided to rig up the bodge airbag light... how the funk would i get rid of the beep and text dash warnings?

No not at present they were planning to bring in rules governing ECU modifications however as every manufacturer uses different ecu,s for different cars with different software for accessing the ecu not to mention the expense of such software they at present have shelved the idea in the current amendments to the MOT Testing procedures.

However in other European countries these rules are already in force and I would expect similar rules to come in to play in the next few years so it's not a green light on re-mapping

@ most easterly pandas, turn your headlights on to help drain any left over charge in the electrical systems of the car.https://www.fiatforum.com/members/most-easterly-pandas

But the airbag system isn't connected to the headlights :p

... h/lights are ECU ran on stilos... so it wouldnt have the desired effect.

when repairing SRS Systems its a standard code of practice to leave for half an hour to let voltage etc dissipate from the electrical system.

so even if i decided to rig up the bodge airbag light... how the funk would i get rid of the beep and text dash warnings?

:yeahthat: battery should be disconnected and time allowed for the capacitors in the airbag ecu to discharge (y)

And good point about the airbag failure messages richy

:yeahthat: battery should be disconnected and time allowed for the capacitors in the airbag ecu to discharge (y)

And good point about the airbag failure messages richy

100% true turning on your lights will instantly take any transient voltage out of the lighting system but it's not really going to effect the Airbag ECU. In fact using this logic all you need is the ignition turned to on when you disconnect the battery as this will switch all manner of systems an relays on in normal use, either way half an hour is a good guide but I would prefer to wait an hour or so as the airbag ecu is designed to hold a charge in the event of loss of power in such instance as the battery or wiring from the battery were destroyed before the airbags successfully deployed. And they hold a lot of power as they have to be able to deploy every bag in the car alas even shorting the power input to the airbag ecu won't discharge it because of reverse current diodes that prevent the back flow of electricity so your only option is to wait. Or do what I once saw some one do and set it off right beside his head playing with the pretensioner set off that and the drivers airbag simultaneously while he was bent over the drivers seat. :eek:

Never seen anyone jump so much in my entire life :devil:

Regarding the HID's
It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that
have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system
What does that mean? Certain cars or just cars that dont have much room and have stiff suspension?
So what about a turbo cinq/sei lowered on stiff coilovers? :rolleyes:

I'm all in favour of them failing cars with ebay HIDs. Although I'd prefer an outright ban, including on modern cars with levelling systems fitted - they still burn your eyes out, but not as badly as the pimped ones.

What idiots would stick film over light units and affect the light output :nutter:

JustAndy where did you get the quote for HIDs is it in the MOT link :confused:

Tbh I've no issue with factory fitted HIDs, only dazzle if fiddled with or on certain sever gradients which normal headlights dazzle on also.

Its in section 1.7-Headlamps just above the list near the bottom of the section and yeah its in the link that dave posted.

Back