Technical New JTD Owner

Currently reading:
Technical New JTD Owner

Hey,

im changing my 1.6 for the 1.9 JTD on saturday. I was just wondering are there any little things i should be aware of? like any little jobs that can be done that will be benefitial, for example on my 1.6 i found on here that its a good idea to clean the inlet control valve which really helped with the sticky throttle.

I dont have any mechanical knowledge lol so any thing has to be well explined lol :)

to get me started i've had a quick look on here and there something like cleaning the EGR valve, what is this? and how is it cleaned, i.e how do i get to it lol?

cheers

Congratulations (y)

From my time with 2 Stilos (4 years / 80K):
1) 4 Wheel Laser Alignment check & adjust.
To prevent loss of 4-5 MPG and save tyre wear
2) Treat it to a new 096 Battery - the best quality / amp hours / CCA's one you can afford.
To prevent insanity due to phoney faults and their associated bleeps and flashing. Also 3-4 MPG improvement once I had replaced JTD's original Magnetti Marelli, which still functioned despite 2 dead-ish cells.

D4 Connector / MAF & EGR Sensors I personally would not bother with unless your vehicle has a specific fault... others will no doubt beg to differ!

If your a seasoned Stilo owner, no doubt you will already be aware of anti rollbar links, suspension springs (incl. recall mod) and passenger seat OCS pad issues that are common.

to get me started i've had a quick look on here and there something like cleaning the EGR valve, what is this? and how is it cleaned, i.e how do i get to it lol?
Hi Stuart, You'll find that info on the Forum (just dig a bit deeper) but in all honesty I wouldn't bother.

JTDs just go on, and on, without much to worry about.

Don't forget good general maintenance though and make sure you're happy with the cam belt.

cheers so far guys, i'll look into the battery and allingment, and the egr thing, i'll be getting him on saturday so i'll drive it for a bit and see how it feels. Yeah cheers Argo, i made them change the cam belt for me before i get coz its already done 68K miles! but that was the only thing i didnlt like about the car, but its had one owner and has a full service history so fingers crossed it should be quite good.

hey, ive got her now, she is very nice. however..... i was driving back on the motorway and thort i'd give it some, i was in fith n put the hammer down, when it got to 3k revs beep beep beep, check engine light came on. I pulled over, phone the garage back and said cud i take it back n they look at it. i turned it back on and the warning had gone out, but then came on again. they read the code and said it was the 'boost pressure', the guy reset it, looked over the pipes (only by sticking his head under the bonnet so i dnt think he had the best look) and said he cudnt find a problem. i drove it home (the full like 60mile) quite steadily, never going upto 3k and there was no problem. got her home and took the boys for a spin... beep beep beep again when i got to 3k revs, but it goes out if i turn it off for 10mins. Ive reved it up wen its staionary, like past 3k and the error doesn't occur. what the hell is causing this problem? its really getting to me, being my new car n all.

is there things i could check, im hoping theres an easy cure.

Last edited:
Well it will be either the egr valve or the overboost valve, overboost valve my moneys on. If you goto your local fiat garage it will cost around £150 i think from memory to have diagnostic and fit remanufacterd valve.

But do a search as you can can clean the egr valve.

Last edited:
Re: EGR valve - remove, clean & modify.

hey, ive a new JTD, used to have a 1.6, she is very nice. however..... i was driving back on the motorway and thort i'd give it some, i was in fith n put the hammer down, when it got to 3k revs beep beep beep, check engine light came on. I pulled over, phone the garage back and said cud i take it back n they look at it. i turned it back on and the warning had gone out, but then came on again. they read the code and said it was the 'boost pressure', the guy reset it, looked over the pipes (only by sticking his head under the bonnet so i dnt think he had the best look) and said he cudnt find a problem. i drove it home (the full like 60mile) quite steadily, never going upto 3k and there was no problem. got her home and took the boys for a spin... beep beep beep again when i got to 3k revs. Ive reved it up wen its staionary, like past 3k and the error doesn't occur. what the hell is causing this problem? its really getting to me, being my new car n all.

is there things i could check, im hoping theres an easy cure.

from quick reads on here people have said it cud be split pipes, the EGR valve or the overboost valve. I have very little mechanical know how so first what do these valves lookl like, where are they and how do i remove the egr to see if it needs cleaning?

any pictures would be great.

cheers

Take it back to the garage and get them to sort it out you have only had it a couple of days! let them get there hands dirty:D tell them about the forum and the possible causes and when it's fixed take it for a spin with someone from the garage in it you might convert them :devil:

Re: EGR valve - remove, clean & modify.

from quick reads on here people have said it cud be split pipes, the EGR valve or the overboost valve. I have very little mechanical know how so first what do these valves lookl like, where are they and how do i remove the egr to see if it needs cleaning?
I doubt if it's got much to do with the EGR (so you're in the wrong thread ;))

Very likely split/damaged tubing to the overboost (VGT) valve. You really need to get up and close to the tubing before you can see any defects (bend tubing in your fingers and looks for splits).

Have a good Search for 'overboost' issues (I've posted in most of them) and then post into any relevant thread if you need more help.

Do you know if the engine has ever been remapped as that's another possibility :chin:

sorry for double post, its just really want to get this sorted as its my new car lol, even tho its got 68K on the clock lol. how do i access these tubes, there isnt much room under the bonet lol. also where and what does the over boost (vgr) valve look like/located?

how can i find out if its been remapped? i hope not lol cause my insurance wont cover me

cheers

i probably will, but if its just a pipe i cud get that fixed and just send them the bill. coz its like a 1.5hr journey.

any ideas on finding out if its remmaped, by the way it goes i dont think it is, but then again i havnt really taken it over 3K revs lol.

again where and what does this valve look like?

cheers

right... does this definetly sound like a split pipe or the nackered overboost valve;

when i rev hard and put the throttle down hard the engine warning light comes on, normally it will go the next time i switch the car off. the first time i got it read it said boost pressure.

i felt today (the first drive to wrk in this car) the turbo was cutting out (this is the first t.diesel i've had so its still a little foreign to me)

also i've been thinking of wehter its been remmaped, so i was thinking of trying its 0-60, i havn't done it yet because i woried i may damage the car coz of this overboost problem, also do you take it to the end of the red line in each gear when trying the 0-60? As i havn't done this yet i've been driving with the inst. mile consumption on and i've been a little shocked now and again coz the econmoy isnt as good as i expected, for eg it cud be in third at 2k revs doing 40 - 50mph ish and it will say something like 30mpg, put i swear under the same conditions i've seen better. wen i take off in first it'll go to 2.5 / 3k revs and be saying 4mpg, im just assuming thats coz of the turbo and all. but cruizing at 70 in fith will say 50mpg, does this sound write? the average consump is on like 42mpg but wen i picked it up on sat is was like 29mpg. Im hoping the rubish mile to galon is due to this overboost valve, what do you guys think?

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Try 40-80 in 4th and report back.

Check average consumption only. You can reset trip 'B' on the move which makes it very good for measuring constant speed figures.

You should get 50mpg at 80 quite easily.

40 to 80 in 4th took about 8/9 secs. the fuel econ issue isnt great lol, reset trip b this morning, i do about half twn half dual carriage way driving, there and back averaged like high 30's to 40mpg.

with the turbo issue & engine fault thing, when the turbo cut out today i cud smell a faint weird smell, i also got a stiff of this as i openned the door to get out.

wud this turbo issue be causing bad fuel?

cheers guys

40 to 80 in 4th took about 8/9 secs. the fuel econ issue isnt great lol, reset trip b this morning, i do about half twn half dual carriage way driving, there and back averaged like high 30's to 40mpg.

with the turbo issue & engine fault thing, when the turbo cut out today i cud smell a faint weird smell, i also got a stiff of this as i openned the door to get out.

wud this turbo issue be causing bad fuel?

cheers guys
Your JTD is definitely mapped and fast with it.

I assume you're not cheating. Let it slow to 40mph, and then hit the floor and start your stopwatch.

Click the stopwatch again when you hit 80.

Normal 5 speed 115JTD is about 15 sec and with a remap this drops to about 10 sec.

It's a virtual certainty that both engine faults and poor consumption are related to the remap.

BTW, you can do the 40-80 a lot faster in 3rd but you'd need to red line it a bit which I would wouldn't recommend until you're happy the engine is in good nick :devil:

hey Argo, i went out with the stopwatch on my phone and i was getting a few incositancies. my bro was timming, if i changed up to 4th at 40 i was getting like 11.5-13 secs, but if i had it in fourth, took my foot off till it slowed to 40 then slammed it to the floor i was getting 14-15.5 secs ish. im guessing this morning i must of gone over 40 when i changed up. is there another way i can be sure?

hey Argo, i went out with the stopwatch on my phone and i was getting a few incositancies. my bro was timming, if i changed up to 4th at 40 i was getting like 11.5-13 secs, but if i had it in fourth, took my foot off till it slowed to 40 then slammed it to the floor i was getting 14-15.5 secs ish. im guessing this morning i must of gone over 40 when i changed up. is there another way i can be sure?
With those revised figures then I'd say yours is standard then. Aside from performance tests I don't know of any other way of checking (apart from paying to have the ECU reset to factory settings - which is a bit drastic)

I think you'd know if it was remapped as you get one hell of kick as you fly through 80.

The trouble now is this doesn't solve any of your existing problems so I think you're back to general maintenance checks which basically means returning the car to the garage. Hopefully they'll find the problem (y)

Back