General new her and potential suspension problems

Currently reading:
General new her and potential suspension problems

You've all done very well.

d4_444.jpg

Thank you bgunn!

ahmett, what have you done dude !!! now we can't ask any questions to bgunn without being told to search ourselves :)

As bgunn mentioned Tim Barners-Lee re internet, we can do with the precursor to The WWW which was "hypertext" to add links to other threads, then again that would stop the banter with ahmett and we can't do that...

I did an oil change on the fiat a month back ...did an engine flush too ...it definitely needed it! ...just want to look after it as best i can and learn as much as i can myself in terms of maintenance.

Just one word of warning re DIY oil changes.

The diesel is the only 500 that doesn't conform to the standard mileage conditions of the petrol variants.

It is the single best thing you can possibly do to keep the engine in tip top condition but unless you also have the DPF parameters reset then the ECU will not be aware of this. You could quite possibly see a flashing oil light and a warning message in the speedo saying that you need to change your oil within a very short time.

Obviously you will shout at the car saying "Don't be so stupid, I've already done this" but the (onboard) computer will just say NO!

Keep your receipts and show them to whoever has the right equipment to do this and don't be fooled by a garage that says it can reset the service schedule as that is something that most diagnostic equipment can do but is not what you need to be done.

The Examiner used by Fiat dealerships was the only way of getting this sorted when I had my 500 1.3MJT but perhaps now other equipment in independent garages might be able to do this, just make certain you tell them exactly what is required.

Do persevere with your car and I am sure that with all the support you will find on the forum you will save yourself a lot of money.

That's a good point, and if you want to DIY service your car, get a copy of MultiECUScan, and you'll be able to reset the oil warning indicator after doing an oil change.

It would be a good idea for me, but I've not joined the 21st century yet and bought a laptop :p Trying to convince the wife that she wants a Surface Pro rather than an iPad ;)

hi guys .... Over the weekend ive decided to part with my fiat. The work involved in fixing it is overwhelming and i can see myself fixing it every year. Need to replace shock absorbers, front strut tops, fix door, sort courtesy light, change brakes and i will prob need to change wish bones at 40k if they went prior at 20k .. I'm trading it in for 7k and buying a brand new pug 107 .. Its not a patch on the fiat but it will be more reliable for me.. Its pretty much a direct swap. Ill come back to a fiat 500 one day as i know the newer ones are better but for now im unfortunately saying bye to him :(

i really despair.... Like i said, if you replace the dampers with decent ones then they will never need replacing again, ditto with other bits. My car has done almost 49k miles and only needed rear dampers and strut tops. The brakes cost me 40 to do. I think you've overestimated the cost and the challenge

i really despair.... Like i said, if you replace the dampers with decent ones then they will never need replacing again, ditto with other bits. My car has done almost 49k miles and only needed rear dampers and strut tops. The brakes cost me 40 to do. I think you've overestimated the cost and the challenge

Maxi if i get the b14s i wont have to change them again?

I'm trading it in for 7k and buying a brand new pug 107 .. Its not a patch on the fiat but it will be more reliable for me..

I wouldn't be so sure, but figured that you might be looking to convince yourself of a reason for an 'out' from the 500. Good luck with the new car.

(Interestingly, whilst this is quite a lively sub forum, the 500 section doesn't really contain a great deal of 'what has gone wrong here' kind of stuff, which says a reasonable amount about the intrinsic reliability of the car. It's certainly not below average, and if properly maintained, I'd say is probably above average.)

hi guys .... Over the weekend ive decided to part with my fiat. The work involved in fixing it is overwhelming and i can see myself fixing it every year. Need to replace shock absorbers, front strut tops, fix door, sort courtesy light, change brakes and i will prob need to change wish bones at 40k if they went prior at 20k .. I'm trading it in for 7k and buying a brand new pug 107 .. Its not a patch on the fiat but it will be more reliable for me.. Its pretty much a direct swap. Ill come back to a fiat 500 one day as i know the newer ones are better but for now im unfortunately saying bye to him :(

Did you get the 0% and just add fuel deal. Good luck with the new car, it should be trouble free.

I wouldn't be so sure, but figured that you might be looking to convince yourself of a reason for an 'out' from the 500. Good luck with the new car.

(Interestingly, whilst this is quite a lively sub forum, the 500 section doesn't really contain a great deal of 'what has gone wrong here' kind of stuff, which says a reasonable amount about the intrinsic reliability of the car. It's certainly not below average, and if properly maintained, I'd say is probably above average.)

Agreed. Yes there are some problems with the quality of the standard parts, but that's easily sorted. I think it's sad that people lose confidence in the 500 so easily because of the suspension.

Its the quality of the overall car...i try to look long term rather than short term - if i have to replace things that shouldn't go on a car so early - what else will i be fixing .. I'm not over estimating the cost ...i just know its not gonna rest giving me problems. ive already had to super glue the washer nipples so they spray the windscreen .. Ive never encountered this in any car ive owned...

and it was a straight swap ..im not taking out any finance etc etc etc in just swapping th fiat for the Peugeot ...

I'm not trying to get out of the 500 I'm just trying to get out of fixing it every year .. COs i know i will...everyone told me not to buy into a fiat but with my punto being amazing i thought the 500 would be the same....

the car also lets out a huge bang once in a while .. Its happened twice so far and the first time I nearly had an accident out of shock....ive checked the car over and there is nothing obvious ... I got pretty much what i paid for the car so I'm happy enough ..still gutted but its quite simply not a good quality product ...i even get trouble with the blue and me usb and the mileage flashes on the dash every so often.. I guess i just don't expect this much problems in a 4 year old car...the bf has a 207 and that sailed through its first mot... No advisories.... That's what a car should be like.

don't despair i love the fiat .. But what i will do is in the future i will.buy new.. I just cant afford that right now

Rach

Back