General Tyre wear and worn suspension

Currently reading:
General Tyre wear and worn suspension

Hi All

A while since I’ve been on here. I recently noticed excessive wear on the inside threads on my TA’s front tyres, threads in centre of tyres is fine but definitely very uneven wear on the inside, worse on near side. This is my second set of Goodyears and I don’t recall any issue with first set which lasted almost 50k, current tyres have about 20k up (miles). Overall car mileage is 76k in 9.5 years. The suspension is fairly noisy now so is this wear likely to be down to worn suspension components or just a simple need for alignment? If it’s suspension what bits are the likely culprits? Thanks.

Could be tracking, however I'd honestly, if you're keeping it, replace everything on the front suspension it will be well tired.
Lower control arms
Shocks
Springs
Top mount/bearing
Top "cup" and cover
Shock dust cover
Drop links
Check steering track rod end

Renew track rod ends too. When everything is renewed you will have to check front wheel alignment. And nothing is worse as to renew them a year later and checking alignment again.

Yes.. that's the wishbone arms. I think I was quoted £200 per side by a local fast-fit place where I had an MOT... but you can get a pair of half decent brand arms for around £100, if you can DIY.

You'll need to remove the bumper and the front crash bar to get at the front Wishbone arm bolt.. but apart from that faffness, it's fairly straightforward.

Ralf S.

Shop 4 Parts are a good supplier for parts like bottom arms, drop links, shocks etc. Worn suspension struts will affect handling but should not affect the wheel tracking.
Jacking the rear axle under the twist beam centrepoint is a very bad idea as it can bend the beam, throwing the wheel alignment out.

Back