General new her and potential suspension problems

Currently reading:
General new her and potential suspension problems

I just expected to at least have 1 year problem free considering a garage looked over it .. We have a feel of the rubber on the suspension (forgotten the names) on the rear and there are noticable holes in the rubber...you can just about poke your finger through the other side.. Really i need time to jack car, take wheel off and take a look myself .. We've been looking at those B4 shockers... 150.00 for a pair of rears and 170 for fronts is ok, just expensive when i spent 7.5 on my car that's all .. Bit gutting i always get done over! :( Thank you so much for all your kind words and wisdom! Its greatly appreciated :) ill let you guys know how Friday goes :) but from having a feel of the rubber tonight .. Think its gonna be my first big expense .. Sigh

The B4's are only 120 a pair. I know it's best practice to change all 4, but it's not necessary. It's a BAAAAAAD idea to change just 2 on a car that's many years old and has really worn dampers, but the fronts on a 500 that's a few years old and has only done 30k ish miles won't be too bad. My rears were replaced at 36k and 12k later on I've not really had any moments where I felt it was an issue. I want to go for a full set of B4's at some stage, but I'm not in a rush.

From the sound of it your rear dampers are shagged, if you wanted to do a real cheapy cheap fix you could just get the bushes replaced.

haha okay :) .. No problem. Ive just been talking to my bf just then .. We've tried to think about what it needs and i think I'm looking up to 600 at least if i redo suspension as there were a few suspension advisories on last mot..then brakes because the company (SG petch to be precise) lied to me about replacing them..just gutted really..expected my first mot to be clear but brakes are very worn etc.. Ill never save up for this wedding next year at this rate! ;)

What are the suspension advisories?

Believe me you're looking at less than 600.

Pads and discs for the front will probably be anywhere from 70-100 for parts and an hours labour.

Let us know how you get on and before you get taken advantage of by a garage, let us know what needs to be done and we'll let you know where to get decent parts at a reasonable price and we'll let you know how much labour it'll involve.

The B4's are only 120 a pair. I know it's best practice to change all 4, but it's not necessary. It's a BAAAAAAD idea to change just 2 on a car that's many years old and has really worn dampers, but the fronts on a 500 that's a few years old and has only done 30k ish miles won't be too bad. My rears were replaced at 36k and 12k later on I've not really had any moments where I felt it was an issue. I want to go for a full set of B4's at some stage, but I'm not in a rush.

From the sound of it your rear dampers are shagged, if you wanted to do a real cheapy cheap fix you could just get the bushes replaced.

can you get the bushes replaced ? I was under impression you couldn't ? I would want a cheap fix for now for its mot in a few month - then ill save for decent ones. Where can you buy bushes ??

What are the suspension advisories?

Believe me you're looking at less than 600.

Pads and discs for the front will probably be anywhere from 70-100 for parts and an hours labour.

Let us know how you get on and before you get taken advantage of by a garage, let us know what needs to be done and we'll let you know where to get decent parts at a reasonable price and we'll let you know how much labour it'll involve.

thanks so much :) i think I'm.going to attempt the brakes myself... Got my bf handy so that could make it cheaper. Ill definitely let you all know .. I think you've all made me feel like i don't want to give up at first hurdle with my fiat ..

does anyone have problems with starting the diesel.engine ? I have to wait for glow plug light to go off before engine will start

can you get the bushes replaced ? I was under impression you couldn't ? I would want a cheap fix for now for its mot in a few month - then ill save for decent ones. Where can you buy bushes ??
You can, it would be the sort of job you need to talk to a helpful garage about, they will be able to source the bushes for a few quid each and be able to fit them themselves. Tbh if it were me I'd fit the B4's rather than go the cheap option, but if needs must......

thanks so much :) i think I'm.going to attempt the brakes myself... Got my bf handy so that could make it cheaper. Ill definitely let you all know .. I think you've all made me feel like i don't want to give up at first hurdle with my fiat ..

does anyone have problems with starting the diesel.engine ? I have to wait for glow plug light to go off before engine will start

Good :) We had someone recently who said they were going to sell their 500 just after getting a load of work done :bang: It's quite frustrating for someone like myself when that happens. I'm here to help people maintain their cars properly for as cheaply as possible and to not be taken advantage of by dealerships or dodgy garages. A 500 can be as cheap as any other car to maintain, you've just got to shop around for bits and find someone who's reasonable for labour.

I've not owned an MJ, but on my old 406 turbo diesel you had to wait till the glowplug light went out also. Someone with an oil burner 500 will be around shortly to let you know if that's par for the course or not :)

Stick with your 500 and if anything goes wrong or needs replacing then post on here and we'll help you get it done cheaply :)

Thanks so much ! I'm amazed at how helpful everyone has been :) (and i think my bf is probably amazed that ive actually gone out into the big wide internet world to seek knowledge about my car lol - for once!) ...

i did an oil change on the fiat a month back ...did an engine flush too ...it definitely needed it! ...just want to look after it as best i can and learn as much as i can myself in terms of maintenance .. I was happy that the oil filter was easy to change .. The pollen filter was a different story lol .. I changed that as soon as i bought the car.

Thanks so much ! I'm amazed at how helpful everyone has been :) (and i think my bf is probably amazed that ive actually gone out into the big wide internet world to seek knowledge about my car lol - for once!) ...

i did an oil change on the fiat a month back ...did an engine flush too ...it definitely needed it! ...just want to look after it as best i can and learn as much as i can myself in terms of maintenance .. I was happy that the oil filter was easy to change .. The pollen filter was a different story lol .. I changed that as soon as i bought the car.

We try our best, great deal of satisfaction from doing your own car maintenance. Re your oil change though, probably didn't need a flush, DERVs always look mucky.

Depending upon how far you plan on going with the DIY maintenance route it might be worth your while investing in a copy of MultiECUscan.net software and leads (y)

Good :) We had someone recently who said they were going to sell their 500 just after getting a load of work done :bang: It's quite frustrating for someone like myself when that happens. I'm here to help people maintain their cars properly for as cheaply as possible and to not be taken advantage of by dealerships or dodgy garages. A 500 can be as cheap as any other car to maintain, you've just got to shop around for bits and find someone who's reasonable for labour.

I've not owned an MJ, but on my old 406 turbo diesel you had to wait till the glowplug light went out also. Someone with an oil burner 500 will be around shortly to let you know if that's par for the course or not :)

Stick with your 500 and if anything goes wrong or needs replacing then post on here and we'll help you get it done cheaply :)

Now this is what this forum is all about : )
Great to have such a great wealth of knowledge on here and guys who are willing to take the time to offer advice and direction. 'Post of the Month' for me (quote above) maxi : )

Think mine (08-plate) needed that occasionally when it was cold. Had it for 2.5 years from new so don't know if older cars need a little more patience.

On the smoky issue, I again seem to remember an occasional bout of that. May have put it down to the DPF burning off the build-up of particulates, as it has to occasionally. Does your performance drop-off at the same time?

Hope that helps - I'll see if any more comes back to me though it's been 2.5 years since I had her.

Regards,
Tony.

Hi :) no my power doesn't drop off - its just when i put my foot down .. To get onto the a19 its an uphill slip road.. I try not to go above 2k revs just with the engine being cold and have just noticed it now and again but like i say i cant reproduce it when the cars warmed up. :) ...my door is creaking too..its a loose nut (door isn't loose or hanging off) ...but needs a.tighten Just not had chance to do it yet i.e moving all cars off drive to get to shed ! .. Maybe ill do it tonight with the bf being at college .. The fiat definitely live up to its.name - fix it again tomorrow !

Thats exactly how a diesel is suppose to be started.

With age it'll slowly get slightly longer before the glow plugs will eventually need replacing, but you should be looking at a good few more years yet :)

Wow, some right horror merchants on here.Come on, the lass has bought a 4yr old car with reasonable mileage and some of you guys are condeming it. She comes across as pretty impressionable as well so please be carefull what you say.1) Yes the rear suspension was redesigned. So are hundreds of other cars over the years. Its called development. Its not to say that the previous design was dangerous or unreliable, it was just improved. 2) You bought a diesel buying into the myth that they are somehow cost effective. Maybe they are in big cars or high mileage situations. I wouldnt have bought one but you havent made a bad choice and other than a bit more servicing costs it wont be too big a deal. Make sure you read up on the DPF filter and what procedures you need to follow, if any.3) You paid a lot for a 4 yr old car when you could have got a brand new 1.2pop for about £9,500 or less which would do the same thing as you get currently. Again, big deal, as long as you were happy at the time of purchase, move on and dont spoil your experience.4) You havent had MAJOR issues. You have had a couple of faults which arent that big a deal tbh. I have been in the motor trade for 16yrs with German manufacturers and i have seen examples of worse with motors costing 4 times your vehicle. Relax and take the advice here and get the shocks upgraded and you will end up better than original and not have to worry about it again. I know its easy for me to say that because there is a cost involved but if you buy second hand you should have some money in reserve to maintain it.5) Injectors etc. Well who knows. You might crash it next week.6) Trade it in etc- Thats the actions of someone who doesnt know the value of money. You will lose money on your existing car to the tune of at least £1000. You will also then be paying even more for a car that wont do anything better than your current car other than maybe a little bit tighter at the rear end.Sorry to hear you havent had plain sailing from the car but you should relax and enjoy it. The car sounds fine other than a couple of glitches. Get them sorted and you could get years of loyal service.

Sorry for the layout of my posts. This forum doesnt work well here for some reason.If the garage promised new brakes then i would be walking in and demanding to know why they werent done. Threaten customer services and Trading Standards. Was it on the original invoice/order? With the mileage you have done its not brain surgery to work out if they had done them.

from having a feel of the rubber tonight .. Sigh

I say - steady on....

kenneth-williams.jpg

haha last post made me laugh and typical of the male species !

Couldn't remember what they were *bushes* or whatever

I'm not impressionable - just sick of being done over ... I have done all you said i.e kicked off ... They simply weren't going to replace them.and no i made the mistake of not having him write it down .. He stated it was *in with the mot* ... That was the glitch ... The bf was annoyed too as he was there but hey its life and you learn...the car is still worth 7k from comparing online with the spec mine has... Yes i could buy a 1.2 pop but i didn't want a pop i wanted the lounge with all the trim.. And i bought diesel because the diesel apparently copes better on the motor ways than the petrol which i do on a daily basis / 40 miles a day. I did do.my homework.on this car however ive totally missed the suspension issues.

the strut tops on front were advisory on last mot too..so they will need doing. I get 58mpg average out of the fiat and a petrol prob wouldn't reach 40.0 cos i do tend to do 80mph on way home.. I'm a little offended by the impressionable comment..i take on peoples advice...but if the car has been cheaply made..ill.end up replacing a whole car...and..i have a half decent job and no kids....yes i can afford to fix a car ..i just don't want to KEEP fixing one (and i don't mean general maintenance i.e set out in manual) I didn't with my.ford probe and that's 20 year old so why should i with a 4 year old car baring in mind it already had expensive work done at 2 year old.. From criticism toward fiat its shocking how they can manufacture such cheap crap and charge a bomb, the car could be amazing and is amazing, cheap parts aside.

thank you everyone for your advice i really have taken it on board and appreciate the time spent to reassure me. :) ...

Back