General New diesel engine 1.3 16v 95HP

Currently reading:
General New diesel engine 1.3 16v 95HP

I'd like to see actual measurements. The way in which fuel economy is tested is a joke.......

not really, it is a controlled conditions test and the only way to get consistent results. it is a reference

what is also needed is a real world view on the data, in my experience the extra urban figures are a pretty good indication of the actual mpg

not really, it is a controlled conditions test and the only way to get consistent results. it is a reference

what is also needed is a real world view on the data, in my experience the extra urban figures are a pretty good indication of the actual mpg
Is it comparable though? The way the tests run doesn't factor in aerodynamics and weight properly. A member of another forum started a thread about it because he was finding it extremely easy to beat the quoted figures in his Boxter. These tests don't factor in the slipperiness of let's say a Boxter to the comparably brick shaped Panda for instance.

Effectively they stick the car on a rolling road to run the tests so the car doesn't need to accelerate anything other than the actual drivetrain up to speed. So while yes it will give comparable measurements between a 1.3mj , a 1.2 and a 1.4 500 it won't factor in the extra bulk of the diesel engine which is why there's always a bigger gap between the quoted figures for diesels than there is for petrols.

Is it comparable though? The way the tests run doesn't factor in aerodynamics and weight properly. A member of another forum started a thread about it because he was finding it extremely easy to beat the quoted figures in his Boxter. These tests don't factor in the slipperiness of let's say a Boxter to the comparably brick shaped Panda for instance.

Effectively they stick the car on a rolling road to run the tests so the car doesn't need to accelerate anything other than the actual drivetrain up to speed. So while yes it will give comparable measurements between a 1.3mj , a 1.2 and a 1.4 500 it won't factor in the extra bulk of the diesel engine which is why there's always a bigger gap between the quoted figures for diesels than there is for petrols.

be interested to see the latest standard test, when i was working in the automotive industry cars were actually driven and tested by test drivers - these days the simulator is king

i still dont know how NM in torque converts to LB FT torque!

NM means nothing to me!...whats the 200NM in the new MJ in LBft?

i thought the 1.3 MJ 75ps had 140lb-ft torque?!

The new Mj2 has more power, obviously, but more importantly, a lot more torque lower down the rev band. It also uses less fuel and has lower emissions as well.

The new injection system is more than a tweak, it is a whole step up in engine development.

It seems Fiat will introduce a new 1.3 diesel engine for the 500C and I think for the normal 500 as well.
Start/Stop system will be available for the 1.4 petrol engine and will be standard for the new 1.3 diesel engine but there is no start/stop option for the old 1.3 (75HP).

Is there no way of having the higher powered diesel without the stop and start? It'll need one hell of a huge battery!

Last edited:
I refer you to my 2 previous statements. Diesels ARE dead easy to start when warm. It's a fact.

Diesels have still got larger starter motors due to the higher compression, which take larger amounts of power from the battery. That's a fact, whether you're willing to accept it or not

Diesels have still got larger starter motors due to the higher compression, which take larger amounts of power from the battery. That's a fact, whether you're willing to accept it or not
I know this. I'm not some sort of feckwit. The fact STILL remains that when warm diesels are EASY to start. When cold diesels usually need to be cranked a little to start but when hot they'll start almost as soon as they're cranked.

Bored with this now. :bang:
Don't throw a strop just because you're wrong :shrug: S&S monitors battery levels and AFAIK doesn't stop the car when it's cold because the engine runs more efficiently when up to temperature ASAP so S&S should in theory only be restarting the car when warm and when the engine will be nice and easy to start.

Don't throw a strop just because you're wrong :shrug: S&S monitors battery levels and AFAIK doesn't stop the car when it's cold because the engine runs more efficiently when up to temperature ASAP so S&S should in theory only be restarting the car when warm and when the engine will be nice and easy to start.

Jeez! :bang: How many times do I have to explain this??? Once actually, as if you can't get it first time you'll never get it!

Perhaps bigger fonts and all caps might help.

AS I SAID S&S ONLY STOPS THE CAR WHEN IT'S WARM AND WHEN WARM DIESELS DO NOT REQUIRE MUCH CRANKING TO START. A BATTERY WHICH IS CAPABLE OF STARTING THE CAR FROM COLD IS MORE THAN CAPABLE OF STARTING A WARM ENGINE MULTIPLE TIMES.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject as I'm going to watch F1 qualifying, hopefully someone else will come along and show you just how wrong your reasoning is.

Perhaps bigger fonts and all caps might help.

AS I SAID S&S ONLY STOPS THE CAR WHEN IT'S WARM AND WHEN WARM DIESELS DO NOT REQUIRE MUCH CRANKING TO START. A BATTERY WHICH IS CAPABLE OF STARTING THE CAR FROM COLD IS MORE THAN CAPABLE OF STARTING A WARM ENGINE MULTIPLE TIMES.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject as I'm going to watch F1 qualifying, hopefully someone else will come along and show you just how wrong your reasoning is.

You know you said you're not a "feckwit"?? Well ...

BTW Qualifying's already started. You've missed pracitce too.

Back