Technical Fiat 500 1.3 multijet intercooler.

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 1.3 multijet intercooler.

CarlosT

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding my 1.3 diesel intercooler.

I can hear air coming from the front and the car barely drives. Eml lit up.

I have looked at the hoses which look OK and yet the amount of air escaping is a lot. Looks kinda foggy too.

Question1 then, how hard is it to remove the Intercooler? Do I have to remove the front of the car?

Question 2, is the diesel intercooler the same as for the petrol cars?

Question 3,
(Yeah, I know I said "a couple ")
The intercooler was apparently fine before I fitted a new turbo cartridge, could the adjustment of the wastegate have caused the cooler to blow?.

Thanks

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding my 1.3 diesel intercooler.

I can hear air coming from the front and the car barely drives. Eml lit up.

I have looked at the hoses which look OK and yet the amount of air escaping is a lot. Looks kinda foggy too.

Question1 then, how hard is it to remove the Intercooler? Do I have to remove the front of the car?

Question 2, is the diesel intercooler the same as for the petrol cars?

Question 3,
(Yeah, I know I said "a couple ")
The intercooler was apparently fine before I fitted a new turbo cartridge, could the adjustment of the wastegate have caused the cooler to blow?.

Thanks
Others here will be more specific, however.
First I would check 100% that air leak is the intercooler, as more common would be hoses split or loose clamps. A smoke test might confirm.
I would suspect it very unlikely that a petrol intercooler would be a straight swap for a diesel one.
Lastly unless turbo pressure was stupidly high it is unlikely to have caused a problem on it's own, much more likely is it has exposed a previous weakness.
According to my 2012 Autodata Manual it gives 4 Bar@4000 rpm as standard max. pressure for a 500 1.3 multijet. So 58.8 psi approx.:)

Back