Off Topic My 500 has been cloned...

Currently reading:
Off Topic My 500 has been cloned...

I know what you mean.

I bet that tomorrow my wife will sit in the sail cloth one and just because it is different to what she has driven for 3 years she will say "oh I don't like that".....

I know what you mean.

I bet that tomorrow my wife will sit in the sail cloth one and just because it is different to what she has driven for 3 years she will say "oh I don't like that".....

I dont know what you mean at all, my wife is NEVER like that at all.

So the ink is dry.

There was a nasty last minute wobble when it seemed like we might lose the £1,000 "deposit support" from Fiat as returning finance customers, for the simple reason that our current PCP deal expires (and so we have to hand the car in to the dealer) before the new one will be ready.

Fortunately the business manager at Glyn Hopkin saw this coming and spoke to FGA Capital who are happy to allow us the support even though technically we are not within the scheme rules.

I was slightly disappointed by the "sailcloth" interior, which I had thought would be like a hessian or linen look fabric (err, like a sail would look) but in fact it is just the same as the ordinary lounge check only instead of white and black check it is grey and black check. We went for it anyway as it may be better at hiding the stains, and the black ambiance will be a change. No disrespect to the Popsters out there but having looked at a Pop seat it looked a bit cheap, and the uniformity of the fabric looked like a potential problem with stain removal.

The haggling with the dealer really did come up trumps. The big saving that I made by going to Perrys and getting a cheaper price from them was to the interest rate. My previous offer from GH was at 7% APR. When I did my last haggle they somehow dropped the rate to 3.8%. (Not sure how come that is -the relationship between the dealers and the finance people is very incestuous).

So we hand over £709 and our 3 and a bit year old Lounge 1.2 dualogic (on which we owe £5,145) against a new car to the same spec, and for which we will pay £120 a month for three years. At the end of that we will owe £5,611 which I suspect will put us pretty much back where we are now.

I think that £120 a month (plus fuel, insurance and servicing) is a pretty good deal, given that I should then have no headaches from bootlid wiring, exhaust corrosion or failing door handles.

Well top marks to Glyn Hopkin St Albans*.

Car ordered on 2 July and I am told that LK63 BBO ("Bob") will be there for me to pick up on Sunday 1 September at 1pm on a shiny new 63 plate*. So under nine weeks for a factory build including during the August shut down*.

Let's just hope it is the right spec and in pristine condition*....

* Fingers crossed, white rabbits, no walking under ladders, etc etc etc.

So the ink is dry.

There was a nasty last minute wobble when it seemed like we might lose the £1,000 "deposit support" from Fiat as returning finance customers, for the simple reason that our current PCP deal expires (and so we have to hand the car in to the dealer) before the new one will be ready.

Fortunately the business manager at Glyn Hopkin saw this coming and spoke to FGA Capital who are happy to allow us the support even though technically we are not within the scheme rules.

I was slightly disappointed by the "sailcloth" interior, which I had thought would be like a hessian or linen look fabric (err, like a sail would look) but in fact it is just the same as the ordinary lounge check only instead of white and black check it is grey and black check. We went for it anyway as it may be better at hiding the stains, and the black ambiance will be a change. No disrespect to the Popsters out there but having looked at a Pop seat it looked a bit cheap, and the uniformity of the fabric looked like a potential problem with stain removal.

The haggling with the dealer really did come up trumps. The big saving that I made by going to Perrys and getting a cheaper price from them was to the interest rate. My previous offer from GH was at 7% APR. When I did my last haggle they somehow dropped the rate to 3.8%. (Not sure how come that is -the relationship between the dealers and the finance people is very incestuous).

So we hand over £709 and our 3 and a bit year old Lounge 1.2 dualogic (on which we owe £5,145) against a new car to the same spec, and for which we will pay £120 a month for three years. At the end of that we will owe £5,611 which I suspect will put us pretty much back where we are now.

I think that £120 a month (plus fuel, insurance and servicing) is a pretty good deal, given that I should then have no headaches from bootlid wiring, exhaust corrosion or failing door handles.

Is the £1k deposit contribution a glyn Hopkins thing or a Fiat finance thing. Is it restricted to the 500.

Is the £1k deposit contribution a glyn Hopkins thing or a Fiat finance thing. Is it restricted to the 500.

When I thought about buying a brand new 500 on finance I was told that I would have a £1000 deposit contribution so it's definitely a fiat thing :)

Yeah, but how much will they make out of the fact that people are buying their 2nd 500 on PCP? :)

Personally I feel that PCP is somewhat of a mugs game and HP is the way to go, but that's just me. In the year and a bit since our car has come out of warranty it's not even needed so much as a wiper blade replacing on it. That's money in our pockets every month rather than wasted on renting a car.

Without doubt, pcp is designed to generate new sales when they come to an end.
They can still work to your advantage though if the rates are mega low.
It's better than using savings to buy in some cases.

Usually fiat pcp rates are a lot lower than their hp rates. As always, do your sums to find the best way to buy for you.

Yeah, but how much will they make out of the fact that people are buying their 2nd 500 on PCP? :)

Personally I feel that PCP is somewhat of a mugs game and HP is the way to go, but that's just me. In the year and a bit since our car has come out of warranty it's not even needed so much as a wiper blade replacing on it. That's money in our pockets every month rather than wasted on renting a car.

Not necessarily. Even if you have the cash to buy the car outright it pays to use a PCP scheme when the interest rate is 0%!

Not necessarily. Even if you have the cash to buy the car outright it pays to use a PCP scheme when the interest rate is 0%!

Er, not necessarily. PCP schemes usually have entry & exit fees even when the interest rate is 0%. At current savings rates, these fees could be more than the net interest you'd get on the purchase price over 3 years. Plus, a PCP may tie you into main dealer servicing.

And it's highly unlikely you'll get the best possible discount if you buy on a 0% PCP scheme.

Money isn't free. If a manufacturer is offering 0% finance, whether that be on cars, furniture or whatever, the cost of the finance is built into the ticket price of the product. If the seller is unwilling to negotiate a serious discount for cash when goods are being offered with 'free' finance, you are being ripped off and would do better to buy something else or somewhere else.

I saw a sofa in SCS last weekend for about £1800, with 4yrs interest free credit. The exact same sofa was available in a discount warehouse up the road; the price was £649 cash.

Unfortunately LadyK didn't like the sofa.

Er, not necessarily. PCP schemes usually have entry & exit fees even when the interest rate is 0%. At current savings rates, these fees could be more than the net interest you'd get on the purchase price over 3 years. Plus, a PCP may tie you into main dealer servicing.

And it's highly unlikely you'll get the best possible discount if you buy on a 0% PCP scheme.

Money isn't free. If a manufacturer is offering 0% finance, whether that be on cars, furniture or whatever, the cost of the finance is built into the ticket price of the product. If the seller is unwilling to negotiate a serious discount for cash when goods are being offered with 'free' finance, you are being ripped off and would do better to buy something else or somewhere else.

I saw a sofa in SCS last weekend for about £1800, with 4yrs interest free credit. The exact same sofa was available in a discount warehouse up the road; the price was £649 cash.

Unfortunately LadyK didn't like the sofa.

Well in my case I went to buy the car outright but the dealer played about with the deposit, term and mileages and the PCP scheme came out at 0% with no fees over a 20 month period. The deposit was low so I got back £4.5K of my £7K trade-in as a cheque which has been deposited against my flexible mortgage (effectively 2.7% - tax free). Not only that but they gave me a £750.00 discount on the car which was not available to cash buyers? So a bit of a no-brainer really. In this case it is the cash-buyers who are being 'ripped-off' to fund the PCP schemes. I also factored in to the cost of replacing the car the saved costs of a service, 3 years MOT tests, 4 x 75% worn tyres, an exhaust that probably only had 1 year left, a years VED and a years breakdown cover.

I know what Maxi says about swapping PCP schemes at the end of the 3 years for a new car makes some sense, but equally some folks like the security of knowing what their monthly motoring costs are and IMHO there is no substitute for having a new car under a 3 year warranty (even a Fiat one;)).

Back