General 500 explorer

Currently reading:
General 500 explorer

ANY THING SPECIFIC?
To be getting on with here are the first things to check on any 500 purchase.

HATCH WIRING often broken wires or lost insulation leading to many and varied electrical issues! pull back the rubber gator and check!- more common on the hatch side of the rubber boot!

EARTH STRAP main earth strap from battery corrodes causing similar problems! you have to remove battery and tray to check £6 on e- bay!.

THERMOSTAT the originals have a PLASTIC pipe from the stat/hose that runs to the heater matrix over time it weakens and often snaps check when doing the earth strap hold at the thermostat end and wiggle it hard it is brittle plastic and if at all weakened will snap off !,can be replaced with an aftermarket one with a METAL PIPE from e- bay around £35.

Check the MAIN WATER PIPE from the water pump runs behind the exhaust manifold rusts out and splits! not expensive but a "fiddly job to get too!

Exhaust manifold studs are know to snap due to heat cycling -remove heat shield to check!

Is there history of a cam belt change?- if not do it now!! its a interference engine so if it snaps your valves and pistons are toast! whilst its apart faalse economy NOT to do thee water pump as well!.

Finally keep a regular check on coolant level ( header tank on side of radiator! shine a torch through the tank to check level -keep at about and inch below maximum! any sudden drop in level or need to top up often should be investigated ASAP these engines overheat suddenly with out enough coolant!

As a mater of course if you only do short or stop start journeys then change the oil and filter more often than the recommended interval(I do mine six monthly or every 3k miles!-its more expensive in oil!- but its a lot cheaper than big -ends and labour at the garage!
hope this helps!.

Jeezz, I need to do this..😞. Guy who fitted my exhaust said it was blowing, I'd forgotten till I read this :oops:
If you find you need to replace them its a bumper off/ removed radiator/ push air -con condenser out the way! job!
some can be tough to get out! drill /extractor etc!
you can buy new STAINLESS studs with COPPER nuts to prevent further problems!

Back