Technical Multi ecu scan problem

Currently reading:
Technical Multi ecu scan problem

H20man

I have a 55 plate 1.1 panda active.
Does anybody have any advice how to connect to the airbag ecu?
I had help from typecastboy, he was very helpful but we couldn’t work out which colour connector to use.
I have airbag light on and can’t get it off.
A few months ago I changed the steering column as I had problems with the steering assist and I have had the airbag problem since then.
I may have pulled out a wire but I can’t see anything obvious.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Ben

its likely to be the red connector. I say likely as fiat fitted two different systems

I connected to a 05 1.2 with a a kkl fine pin3 (equivalent equivalent to the RED adaptor ) and free MES

the other airbag system need full version of MES and plugs straight in no adapter

its likely to be the red connector. I say likely as fiat fitted two different systems

I connected to a 05 1.2 with a a kkl fine pin3 (equivalent equivalent to the RED adaptor ) and free MES

the other airbag system need full version of MES and plugs straight in no adapter
Thank you for your reply. We did try red and with no adapter at all, not too sure why it wouldn’t connect.

What interface are you using and what version of MES?
Can make a basic scan of fault codes? Does it detect the airbag ECU? If so then what model airbag ECU does it say is fitted?

On th airbag fault it is likey the "clock spring" unit under the steering wheel failed during the steering repair. I any case it's the first place to look. This includes the connectors to it.
Obviously bisconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes before doing anyhing. Don't make any measurements or continuity checks on the airbag module or even with the airbag plugged in.

Robert G8RPI.

We did try all connector colours and without a coloured connector but nothing would connect to it. If you try to do a proxy alignment (mileage wasn't flashing) it completed it but says Airbag ECU removed/missing I think. It tried to connect but then failed. I did a proxy and that made the mileage flash, did it again and it stopped flashing. It's like it's not there but it hasn't been touched. H20man did say something about the clockspring but if that was faulty, which it may well be, then that shouldn't stop you connecting to the airbag ECU so it's a bit of a mystery. We were able, using all different connectors surprisingly to connect to all of the other ECUs.

My 100HP refused to start after the 202 lockdown. MES refused to connect causing me to think the computer was faulty. The problem turned out to be a dead connection to the BCU. The diagnostic socket was dead and probably the BCU as well. I pulled relays and fuses. Fuses checked with test meter and a 9V PP3 confirmed with test meter the relays switched. Each was pulled and replaced but nothing found. I then swapped the headlights relay with the BCU relay and went in for dinner. When I continued later everything was working fine.
I suspect the issue was a faulty relay or (at least) a poor connection at the trigger side.
Check all of your relays and swap the BCU relays to see if anything changes.

Make sure you have propper charged battery, or even better add the charger to the car. My experience is that when the ECU and or BCU where disconnected for a longer period they need to resync. and that takes a while to do (between 30 minutes to an hour) if the power is low in the battery the sync will most likely fail. I left the key in the car on acc, locked the door with another key and left it there for a couple of hours. after that turn the key of and on again and try again.

Make sure you have propper charged battery, or even better add the charger to the car. My experience is that when the ECU and or BCU where disconnected for a longer period they need to resync. and that takes a while to do (between 30 minutes to an hour) if the power is low in the battery the sync will most likely fail. I left the key in the car on acc, locked the door with another key and left it there for a couple of hours. after that turn the key of and on again and try again.
connects to all other modules

problem occurred straight after steering column was changed

I'd be surprised if the two weren't linked

if it was me I would, check powers and grounds and if okay put the old column back, in and see if the problem is still there. If it is the i must have damaged something during the change or incorrectly fitted something

Canbus is great most of the time. Normally you get a message some thing like open circuit in passenger airbag. However everything communicates via the same few wires. Just because its no communicating with the airbag module it isn't 100% that the problem is in the airbag module although likely.

What interface are you using and what version of MES?
Can make a basic scan of fault codes? Does it detect the airbag ECU? If so then what model airbag ECU does it say is fitted?

On th airbag fault it is likey the "clock spring" unit under the steering wheel failed during the steering repair. I any case it's the first place to look. This includes the connectors to it.
Obviously bisconnect the battery and wait 15 minutes before doing anyhing. Don't make any measurements or continuity checks on the airbag module or even with the airbag plugged in.

Robert G8RPI.
I’m not sure what programs we was running but I see that has been replied to below. I have just disconnected the power and tried to check all connections. The airbag light is still on but I may have found where I made my problem, there was a wire in the footwell that I couldn’t work out where it was from, I looked at the back of unit the indicator arms are attached to and saw 3 empty connections I’ve compared this to the old unit and they don’t seem to be the same. Think I’ve completely messed up when buying the steering column.

Attachments

• C1A90460-F241-440E-90B8-CA9B5ACB6B5C.jpeg
    C1A90460-F241-440E-90B8-CA9B5ACB6B5C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 11F51172-1BC1-4A1D-B682-9BD482B30495.jpeg
    11F51172-1BC1-4A1D-B682-9BD482B30495.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 82CE2B28-FDA2-420D-88EE-3055245356BC.jpeg
    82CE2B28-FDA2-420D-88EE-3055245356BC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 0FB80ADB-4AE7-4E6C-9A4B-4DC1316123F0.jpeg
    0FB80ADB-4AE7-4E6C-9A4B-4DC1316123F0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 334FDE43-8626-4AA1-AF35-BC4DE7BA61D1.jpeg
    334FDE43-8626-4AA1-AF35-BC4DE7BA61D1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • A4CDA55D-D3A2-4967-BC0F-8C5D81928AA1.jpeg
    A4CDA55D-D3A2-4967-BC0F-8C5D81928AA1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
connects to all other modules

problem occurred straight after steering column was changed

I'd be surprised if the two weren't linked

if it was me I would, check powers and grounds and if okay put the old column back, in and see if the problem is still there. If it is the i must have damaged something during the change or incorrectly fitted something

Canbus is great most of the time. Normally you get a message some thing like open circuit in passenger airbag. However everything communicates via the same few wires. Just because its no communicating with the airbag module it isn't 100% that the problem is in the airbag module although likely.
I fear you are right I have done something wrong during the change over, it seems it wasn’t like for like parts I was changing and there may be wires missing.
I have attached pictures of the unit on my car and the one taken off.

Attachments

• 3ED4208B-E6CD-4B17-9335-457F9D424CB8.jpeg
    3ED4208B-E6CD-4B17-9335-457F9D424CB8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • 8B5039EC-0B50-4092-A28D-893898C3A880.jpeg
    8B5039EC-0B50-4092-A28D-893898C3A880.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 833610F2-2D22-4249-B165-A670D37E1B79.jpeg
    833610F2-2D22-4249-B165-A670D37E1B79.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
I was pretty low on charged when we checked, I had to bump start just to get to typecastboy.

We did try all connector colours and without a coloured connector but nothing would connect to it. If you try to do a proxy alignment (mileage wasn't flashing) it completed it but says Airbag ECU removed/missing I think. It tried to connect but then failed. I did a proxy and that made the mileage flash, did it again and it stopped flashing. It's like it's not there but it hasn't been touched. H20man did say something about the clockspring but if that was faulty, which it may well be, then that shouldn't stop you connecting to the airbag ECU so it's a bit of a mystery. We were able, using all different connectors surprisingly to connect to all of the other ECUs.
Thanks again

Hi,
since i'm German i really didn't understand all that has been written. I'd like to put my experience down, though.
With both of my Fiats (2008 Doblo, 2002 Stilo) i cannot access the airbag ECU using my (quite expensive) AutoData ELM327 based bluetooth connector. I succeeded with my KKK (modified VAG interface with positions switch, which made about 10 Euros five years ago) cable based interface. I had to install the FTDI driver 2.08.14 (for VAG. KKL 409) in order to get it working but now it does with full access also to the airbag and ABS ECUs.
Getting connected under win may require changes in the COM-port settings on both win, and MEC.
Good luck

Back