General clutch problem

Currently reading:
General clutch problem

tonyn

My daughter's has a 2007 1.1 Panda.
Over the past couple of weeks, she has told me that on occasion it ranfomly refuses to go into gear.
She says that if she switches the car off and then back on ,it will then go into gear.
Ive not looked at it yet, will do this evening, but would like to ask beforehand if anyone else had suffered with this problem and what was your solution please?
Thanks in advance
Tony

My daughter's has a 2007 1.1 Panda.
Over the past couple of weeks, she has told me that on occasion it ranfomly refuses to go into gear.
She says that if she switches the car off and then back on ,it will then go into gear.
Ive not looked at it yet, will do this evening, but would like to ask beforehand if anyone else had suffered with this problem and what was your solution please?
Thanks in advance
Tony

Best "over the phone "
Diagnosis.. 🙂

If it changes gear Better
with engine OFF than with it ON

suspect the clutch 🤔

No different.. Better diagnosis required 😉

Gearchange Cables.. Gearbox itself

Our 2004 was a fantastic car,
kept it 14 years over 90k 👍

But 2007 is now OLD..
so some perishing/corrosion now.. Not just wear 😉

Edit:

If it's got no clutch pedal
(a Dualogic / semi-auto)

Ask for more info.. But it's A LOT more complex 🤔

Best "over the phone "
Diagnosis.. 🙂

If it changes gear Better
with engine OFF than with it ON

suspect the clutch 🤔

No different.. Better diagnosis required 😉

Gearchange Cables.. Gearbox itself

Our 2004 was a fantastic car,
kept it 14 years over 90k 👍

But 2007 is now OLD..
so some perishing/corrosion now.. Not just wear 😉
Going to have a drive and a look over it this evening, so will report back then.
When i bought the car it had a " refurbished gearbox" already fitted to it, so koping its not a gearbox issue,.

Going to have a drive and a look over it this evening, so will report back then.
When i bought the car it had a " refurbished gearbox" already fitted to it, so koping its not a gearbox issue,.
Update,
I have driven it for around 5 mile, town driving,plenty of gear changes without issue.
Got underneath to check the hydraulic pipework coupling, thats ok.
On checking the slave cylinder, its leaking, and the fluid in the reservoir looks like stewed tea.
Does any know the part no.for the slave cylinder, as I'm getting contrasting opinions, as to what will and wont fit, from various websites?

Update,
I have driven it for around 5 mile, town driving,plenty of gear changes without issue.
Got underneath to check the hydraulic pipework coupling, thats ok.
On checking the slave cylinder, its leaking, and the fluid in the reservoir looks like stewed tea.
Does any know the part no.for the slave cylinder, as I'm getting contrasting opinions, as to what will and wont fit, from various websites?

Cros reference GSF and Europrats for their "suggestions",
then use EPER see what was actually fitted

Typical that you cannot wait the 3 days for Shop4parts to deliver the correct item (I suppose their website will quote the FIAT part number though)

Here you go :

Wrong part but if you use LUK 512 0045 10 or it's equivalents it's cheaper and more readily available and is known to work

Are you sure the slave is leaking, there's not much fluid in the reservoir, if it was wet underneath the reservoir should be empty? Is it gear, engine or hydraulic oil ?

Which gears are they struggling with

Is it worse early in a journey or after it's warmed up

Are there any noises

Does the gearstick stop solid or is there any grinding noises

No grinding noise I would suspect something other than the clutch

Gear selector cables are favourite

Post 8

Cros reference GSF and Europrats for their "suggestions",
then use EPER see what was actually fitted

Typical that you cannot wait the 3 days for Shop4parts to deliver the correct item (I suppose their website will quote the FIAT part number though)

Here you go :

Thanks you very much everyone for your help.
Very much appreciated.

Replacement slave cylinders can be hard to find, but this is no problem. The slave cylinder is very easy to strip down, clean and rebuild (just remember - the plastic clip that retains the piston slides out through a slot in the cylinder body). The slave cylinder and piston are both made of plastic, so no corrosion worries, strip, clean, and rebuild the cylinder with red rubber grease, or silicone grease to lubricate it inside (plastic compatible) and you're good to go. If your original unit is damaged you can get a used unit and rebuild that. It's almost like the clutch slave cylinder was designed by LEGO 😊

It's almost like the clutch slave cylinder was designed by LEGO
If LEGO had designed it, it would likely last the life of the car and beyond.

And if it did fail, you could call customer service and they would send you a replacement, for free, no questions asked.

But the initial purchase price would be eye-watering!

Last edited:
UPDATE.
Changed the leaking slave cylinder for a new one.
Noticed that the clutch fluid was heavily contaminated, so flushed it threw with fresh fluid, gave it a test run and it seemed fine.
My daughter has just text me to say the fault has occurred again.
Where should i go from here?
Thanks

UPDATE.
Changed the leaking slave cylinder for a new one.
Noticed that the clutch fluid was heavily contaminated, so flushed it threw with fresh fluid, gave it a test run and it seemed fine.
My daughter has just text me to say the fault has occurred again.
Where should i go from here?
Thanks

Oh..
Back to post #2 🤔

Wrong part but if you use LUK 512 0045 10 or it's equivalents it's cheaper and more readily available and is known to work

Are you sure the slave is leaking, there's not much fluid in the reservoir, if it was wet underneath the reservoir should be empty? Is it gear, engine or hydraulic oil ?

Which gears are they struggling with

Is it worse early in a journey or after it's warmed up

Are there any noises

Does the gearstick stop solid or is there any grinding noises

No grinding noise I would suspect something other than the clutch

Gear selector cables are favourite

Post 8

We have had no feedback, with no feedback we have nothing to go on

Is there any grinding noise when changing gear

No noise, no point in messing around the clutch area

Is the reservoir empty

If no the liquid underneath isn't clutch hydraulic

Have you read post 8 in the link

It's a known issue causing the fault describe

We have had no feedback, with no feedback we have nothing to go on

Is there any grinding noise when changing gear

No noise, no point in messing around the clutch area

Is the reservoir empty

If no the liquid underneath isn't clutch hydraulic

Have you read post 8 in the link

It's a known issue causing the fault describe
There is no grinding or crunching when changing gears, but I did notice that the clutch pedal felt very spongy in comparison to the Corsa I drive.
I wonder could the problem be with the master cylinder ?

There is no grinding or crunching when changing gears, but I did notice that the clutch pedal felt very spongy in comparison to the Corsa I drive.
I wonder could the problem be with the master cylinder ?
No grinding noise

Not a clutch related problem

Not the slave
Not the clutch
Not the master
Not the release forks
Not the pressure plate
Not the release bearings
Not the pedal
Or anything else

Almost certainly

all versions
2125 1 261 L FGEAR ENGAGEMENT/SELECTION CABLES
Seizing, hardening - Service Solution
225006155_2.jpg

FAULT COMPLAINED OF​

Difficult or impossible to engage all the gears

TECHNICAL CAUSE​

Seizing of the gear engagement cable due to the deterioration of the (PTF) tube inside the outer casing that guides the steel cable.

OPERATIONS IN PRODUCTION​

Fitting of engage engagement/selection cables that conform guaranteed.

IPLEMENTATION OF MODIFICATION​

Version

Factory

Line

Chassis No.

Organization No.

all versions in question

Tichy

-

OPERATIONS IN NETWORK​

NETWORK BEHAVIOUR STANDARDS TOWARDS THE CUSTOMER​

• If this problem is reported and confirmed, reassure the Customer that it can be solved by replacing the gear engagement/selection cables.
  • After the operation show the Customer what has been done and carry out a test to make sure they are satisfied.

SERVICE SOLUTION​

Only for vehicles in the batch of chassis from 175913 to 554770, check that the problem reported is due to the gear engagement/selection cables and, if necessary, replace them following the Operating Cycle below.

OPERATION CYCLE​

Before replcing the gear engagement/selection cables, check that the hardening of the gear control cable in all gears is confirmed proceeding as described below:
A) release the cables on the gearbox side (see Service Manual Op 2125C30) and check that the fault is still present using the gear lever in the passenger compartment.
767_2.jpg

If after having carried out point A) the fault is no longer present, then the cause of the problem should be sought in the gearbox unit and internal controls.
B) release the cables on the passenger compartment side (see Service Manual Op 2125C30) and check that the lever in the passenger compartment moves freely for both engagement and selection.
767_2.jpg

If the fault is still present after having carried out point B), carry out a thorough fault diagnosis for the passenger compartment inner control mounting replacing it if a problem is found.
C) Replace the gear engagement/selection cables (1 - Fig. 1) with new ones from the Parts Dept. completing the operations already partly carried out in points A and B (refer to the Service Manual - Op 2125C30).
Fig. 1
169004283_2.jpg

AVALABILITY OF PARTS​

Version

Description

Part No.

Qty.

all petrol versions in question

Gear selection/engagement cables

all diesel versions in question

Gear selection/engagement cables

CLAIM REPORT DATA​

Version

Operation

Piece

Fault

Position

Time allowance

all versions in question

LF

-

Pretty easy to to confirm

Just put some light oil down the cables at the gearbox end and see if things improve

It will not fix it permanently though

Back